Introducing U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brooklynmike

Refugee
If you had a friend who suddenly "discovered" U2, what- one U2 item- would you suggest to them to introduce U2 to in the way YOU get them and why? It could be an album, a video, a bootleg, a magazine interview, whatever.

For me it would absolutely be ZooTV live from Sydney.

This is U2, for me personally.

It's what got me obsessed with U2 for almost 20 years. I must have watched that VHS tape 600 times between 95' and 97'. Probably another 600 times between 98' and 2015 (DVD and clips on YouTube).

Depends very strongly on the person and his or her musical tastes. But I can see all of the following being decent:

- Red Rocks
- The Unforgettable Fire
- The Joshua Tree
- Achtung Baby
- ZooTV Sydney
- Zooropa
- Elevation Slane
- 360 Montréal broadcast (I treat this as essentially an outstanding live U2 best of album)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Depends very strongly on the person and his or her musical tastes. But I can see all of the following being decent:

- Red Rocks
- The Unforgettable Fire
- The Joshua Tree
- Achtung Baby
- ZooTV Sydney
- Zooropa
- Elevation Slane
- 360 Montréal broadcast (I treat this as essentially an outstanding live U2 best of album)

Base it on just one. What represents U2 as you personally see them?

Base it on just one. What represents U2 as you personally see them?

Oh goodness, you make my life difficult. :p Probably the Montréal broadcast, because it's such a great summary of everything.

They already know U2, I just want to "seal the deal"?

They love indie/alternative or already hate current "pompous" U2?
UABRS

They love big acts with attitude?
R&H (movie)

They love huge amazing acts?
ZOOTV Sydney

In any case, the answer should consist of U2 Live.

Slane if I'm choosing a live show.
Best of 1980-1990 if I'm choosing an album.

Slane and Red Rocks, but if only one concert video, then Slane. They are so intimate and transparent in that one.

For an interview, maybe the new one which seems to be drawn from the MOJO cover spread and some other recent ones. This shows them as they are now and why they are who they are and what they still want.

The loss of innocence: A unique insight into the last year of U2 - Independent.ie

Depending on their reactions to these, I'd go for Zoo TV and the EMA 1997 Please performance or the Red Rocks UABRS video and TUF documentary from the remastered set.

Live Aid Bad would be next.

The attitude and images from Zoo TV Sydney are what hooked me. I had heard Achtung baby and enjoyed it but that's about it. I happened to rent Zoo TV at Blockbuster when my Guns N Roses live in Japan was already taken out. 20 years now, still my favorite.

IMO yes, AB and JT contained the bands most iconic songs and for a first time listener that is what will hook them as it probably did for most of us on Interference.

I have loved them for 35 years and I think that SOI is one of there better albums in a long time. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

It's weird trying to find a starting point for an active band with a lengthy history when you are getting into them. It can be tricky too. When I got heavily into Dylan I of course first heard a few '70s tracks, and a few of the obvious '60s songs that are unavoidable. Pretty much zero '80s and '90s. So I kind of zig zagged. The same could be said for when I got into Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits. I guess it's just finding their most commercial and critical peak and then going backwards or forwards.

I always find it hard to pick just one but I'd say Achtung Baby if I had to choose an album and ZooTv live in Sydney or Under a Blood Red Sky live at Red Rocks for a concert.

It's interesting to see some going with the visual (Red Rocks, Slane, Zoo TV), and some going with the audio (Achtung, Joshua Tree). For me the visual component was so crucial. Probably because I didn't listen to much music as a kid, I was busy preparing to be on the Yankees or Knicks.

Back
Top Bottom