Introducing U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's interesting to see some going with the visual (Red Rocks, Slane, Zoo TV), and some going with the audio (Achtung, Joshua Tree). For me the visual component was so crucial. Probably because I didn't listen to much music as a kid, I was busy preparing to be on the Yankees or Knicks.

The biggest problem with the visual is just that, if the viewer starts to focus in on Bono's mullet etc or the cowboy type clothing The Edge wore during the JT era, then it could alter their opinion of the band depending how young they are.

Can you imagine introducing a 13 year old who has just started to explore music to U2 via Bono dressed as MacPhisto? That could put him or her off U2 before they even really listen to the songs.

The biggest problem with the visual is just that, if the viewer starts to focus in on Bono's mullet etc or the cowboy type clothing The Edge wore during the JT era, then it could alter their opinion of the band depending how young they are.

Can you imagine introducing a 13 year old who has just started to explore music to U2 via Bono dressed as MacPhisto? That could put him or her off U2 before they even really listen to the songs.

What got you hooked on U2?

Zooropa because I want to have complete control over their first official exposure to the band, and well....Zooropa is brilliant.

Zooropa because I want to have complete control over their first official exposure to the band, and well....Zooropa is brilliant.

Awesome. I like the frame in that answer- it's what I was trying to convey with the original question but didn't think it out. There may or may not have been several adult beverages enjoyed prior to starting the thread.

It came to mind because I had a friend over who mentioned he'd liked the new album and never really paid attention to them before. I have pretty much all the media at home so I thought what would blow him away? My first reaction was to pop on the Sydney DVD for him as that would probably make the biggest impact. He loved it, watched up to Streets, and took it home.

If I didn't have that around I'd have tossed in the first Best of CD. It's probably the best representation of U2.

*Depending on that person's tastes, I may have gone Achtung or possibly Zooropa.

Awesome. I like the frame in that answer- it's what I was trying to convey with the original question but didn't think it out. There may or may not have been several adult beverages enjoyed prior to starting the thread.

It came to mind because I had a friend over who mentioned he'd liked the new album and never really paid attention to them before. I have pretty much all the media at home so I thought what would blow him away? My first reaction was to pop on the Sydney DVD for him as that would probably make the biggest impact. He loved it, watched up to Streets, and took it home.

If I didn't have that around I'd have tossed in the first Best of CD. It's probably the best representation of U2.

Nice. I've actually used this album to win over a couple of fans that are a few years younger than me and who's main exposure or even first impression of U2 was their 00's era where it became him to hate U2 (and in some cases, rightfully so). I've heard a couple people say that they couldn't believe that this was U2 and didn't know that they had such a great period in the 90's where they really stretched their own imagination and stepped outside of their comfort zone.

They also stepped outside of their fanbase's comfort zone as well looking back on it the idea of the Achtung Baby, Zooropa combo if it didnt go over so well could have very well been the end of the band....glad people ended up liking this change of direction....those we re the right albums for the right time.

Agreed. My fave album of 2014 and certainly one of U2's greatest albums. Where does it rank for you in the list?

That is s hard one, it is definitely one of their greatest, but I love others as well. I am really partial to achtung baby as that was the first concert of theirs I have been to, but SOI is a close second for me.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

It totally depends on that person's interests... U2 has a wide enough range of styles that it's very easy for anybody who doesn't know them to find something to love and something to hate about them.

What got you hooked on U2?

Hearing "New Year's Day" on the radio in 1983. I went to the shop and bought "War" on vinyl, fell in love with it and the rest is history.

Interestingly, I didn't know what the band looked like until I open up the record jacket, the music caught my attention first before the "look" of the band.

Back
Top Bottom