INTERVIEW: Howie B discusses producing U2 on 1997’s POP album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Great interview! Thanks for sharing! I think Pop is brilliant, but another pass at it could be interesting

I like that he doesn't seem bitter about the band not thinking it was done, and he's rather gracious about the whole thing.

Didn't know that bit about the re-recording of Please. I'm not sure it's better; it has more energy but not as distinct of a mood as the album version. It's clear the band wasn't making a rock & roll album, and why they seemed to lose sight of this at the end (and in the years after) is perpetually disappointing.

Howie B:*I would say*Miami. Simply because that song was going to be put in the bin. It was the only song that I didn’t record, but I loved it. There was something dirty about it. It was fresh and disjointed; it was discombobulated, but it had something for me. so I said;“guys give me another room.”*So I went off to another studio for three days. It was all hands on. Even if I was in another studio, we would all meet up for dinner. I came back one day, and everyone was all sitting ready to eat, and I was like;“Guys check this motherfucker out.”*and I put*Miami*on and blasted it while we were eating and they all went fucking mental! They said;*“what the fuck have you done here?”*And it went on the record.

I love that song very much – I know some people have got problems with it but fuck it its what happened – it’s very real that song.

Howie B saved Miami.

Wasn't Howie B arrested/deported when the Popmart hit Canada? I think he was busted for weed. Either which way very cool story about the Pop era.

I remember when he opened at the Las Vegas show (DJing). Pretty awesome moment to get the crowd fired up.

Thanks for the single version of Please.

Miami ? The original toss-it instinct was right.

Back
Top Bottom