In which song Bono's voice sounds the most perfectly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Fly for me. The combination of that low raspy voice and the 'fat lady voice'.

On the other hand. If You Wear That Velvet Dress(Jools Holland). Pure sex for your ears.

All of the above mentioned are great choices. And I love his voice in most songs, but I'm going to go with a B-side that I've always LOVED the way he sings in it. I don't know if his voice is "perfect" in it, but IMO, he sings the absolute shit out this tune!

North and South of the River :heart:

If you're talking about "gives me chills/almost makes me wreck my car/melts me into a puddle of goo" perfection, then it would be Your Blue Room & Beautiful Ghost, hands down. :drool:

As for songs that you don't have to be a hardcore fan to know, I'll go with Ultraviolet or maybe Magnificent. Possibly WOWY. AIWIY is really good, too... :reject:

:backsawayfromthethread: :wink:

I don't know how to address "best" or "most perfect" but I think my favorite vocal moments of Bono's are A Sort of Homecoming, Red Hill Mining Town, One Tree Hill and Heartland. If forced to choose one, Red Hill Mining Town.

his best studio tracks are Pride, A Sort of Homecoming, Red Hill Mining Town, and to a different extent, Your Blue Room.

:hmm: I like God Part II. But yes Heartland is flat out amazing.

Anything from Rattle and Hum in fact is pretty awesome.

Yup, like NSW, not sure how to quantify this, but all the ones on his list, especially Red Hill Mining Town and One Tree Hill are chill-inducing for me every single time.

:hmm: I had to think about this with all the songs Bono has sung with and without U2 (no pun intended). Night and Day, Heartland, and Red Hill Mining Town win my votes. However, if you are asking about pure emotion, my vote is for "Once in a Lifetime", a song he sung with Clannad in the mid 1980s...:drool::love::reject:

Everything on Achtung Baby, plus Zooropa, Lemon, Slug and Your Blue Room.

^In A Lifetime is brilliant.

Agreed. In a Lifetime is one of the best vocal performances I've ever heard. Right alongside that would be A Sort of Homecoming.

YouTube - Clannad & Bono - In A Lifetime (1985)
YouTube - A Sort of Homecoming U2

Both combine everything I love about Bono's voice: the soft earnestness, the vulnerable falsetto, and the screaming passion. The vocal transitions between falsetto and scream beginning at 2:08 in the "In a Lifetime" video makes my head shiver.

damn this is hard....

Probably So Cruel, Red Hill, and YBR.

Although it's pretty hard to ignore songs like Pride, RTSS, WOWY, MOS, etc....

Also one that hasn't been said is In A Little While. I wish Bono would sing more like he does on that song.

Back
Top Bottom