In Defence of HTDAAB, and in Offence of ATYCLB...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Neither ATYCLB nor HTDAAB stand up to Achtung Baby or even The Joshua Tree (great but a tad overrated in my view). The problem was that like a lot of bands in their middle age, they started looking back to move forward. I don't mind a little bit of that- retrenchment was probably required after Pop (outstanding as that album was) and it was nice to hear some chiming guitar again, but they went too far so many of the songs like pastiches of their old work- especially on the Bomb, which didn't have the sonic twists that just about kept ATYCLB interesting and vital.

Does this make ATYCLB the better album? Yes- although it is not the only factor at work. Bono's lyrics were better for a start (though poor in relation to his nineties work)- New York and Kite were especially poetic. His verses on The Bomb were vague, lazy and clumsy- perhaps only on One Step Closer does he write with any skill.

Also, the melodies on ATYCLB were often quite beautiful- "Stuck In A Moment" and "Wild Honey" come to mind- intricate, pleasing pieces which were great to hum along to. HTDAAB had a lot of generic stuff- only A Man And A Woman and Vertigo interested me melodically. It wasn't just the production that was the issue- it was the songs themselves that lacked bite.

The caveat is that Bono's voice was stronger on the latter album- nowhere near as good as in the Zoo Tv era, that came in late 2006, but still much improved. Nevertheless, I must disagree with the original poster and plump for ATYCLB.

You think New York's lyrics were "especially poetic?" You and I have VERY different tastes.... As I've said before, I think that was his career low lyrically...

Anyway, I'm buzzing about the new 30 sec clips now and can't bring myself to care about either old album anymore! :lol:

Yes I do think they're poetic- "I've hit an iceberg in my life but I'm still afloat/ You lose your balance lose your wife in the queue for the lifeboat"- as good a summary of a midlife crisis as I've read and linked to New York through the Titanic disaster- thought has definitely gone into that. I'll take it over "till your face caught up with your pyschology" any day! HTDAAB was Bono's low point, lyrically. Where we agree is that his lyrics were better before the new Milennium.

I think both albums are great -- I'd give ATYCLB four stars, and I'd give HTDAAB four-and-a-half.

There are 0 songs on either album that I dislike. I'm not fond of 'Elevation' on record because it's rather a cheesy composition, but I concede that it worked really well live. And I don't get anything from 'One Step Closer' -- it's pretty enough, but just passes my by. The rest of the 22 or 23 tracks are all good to outstanding.

As I've said many times, the only problem I have with ATYCLB is the production, which at times sounds like a boy band. Other than that, it's another first-rate U2 effort. And HTDAAB is genius.

Let Me give my interpretations on how I think the last 3 albums would have been slightly improved.These lineups will include some outtakes and session songs which did not make it on the albums.

POP
Disc 1
1.PopMuzik
2.Mofo
3.Do You Feel Loved
4.North and South of The River
5.Levitate
6.Discotheque
7.Big Girls Are Best
8.Miami
9.Playboy Mansion
10.Im not your Baby(w/o SOC)

Disc 2
1.Last Night On Earth
2.Holy Joe
3.Staring At The Sun
4.IGWSHA
5.Happiness Is A Warm Gun
6.Gone
7.Love and Peace Or Else
8.If You Wear That Velvet Dress
9.Please
10.Wake Up Dead Man

ATYCLB like this

1.Beautiful Day
2.Stuck In a Moment
3.Elevation
4.Walk On
5.Kite
6.In a Little While
7.Are You Gonna Wait Forever
8.Peace On Earth
9.One Step Closer
10.When You Look At The World
11.Summer Rain
12.New York
13.Ground Beneath Her Feet
14.Grace

HTDAAB like this

1.Native Son or Vertigo
2.Miracle Drug
3.SYCMIOYO
4.City of Blinding Lights
5.Smile
6.Neon Lights
7.Fast Cars
8.A Man And A Woman
9.Crumbs From Your Table
10.Original of the Species
11.Yahweh
12.Mercy

With various B Sides from 1996-2004

Mission Impossible Theme
Two Shots of Happy One Shot Of Sad
POP Remixes
Stateless
ATYCLB Remixes
Wild Honey/Flower Child
Dont Take Your Guns To Town
Love You Like Mad
Rise Up
Wave of Sorrow
HTDAAB Remixes
All Because of You
Ave Maria

I allways thought that if HTDAAB would have been this with better production it would actually be almost a classic

1-Native son
2-Crumbs(better production)
3-SYCMIOYO
4-COBL
5-LAPOE
6-Fast Cars
7-Mercy
8-A Man And A Woman
9-OOTS (BETTER production). good song but it is so overodne and the strings SUCK
10-Smile
11-Yahweh (alt version which is superior)

B-sides -All because of you
-Miracle drug
-Neon lights

I allways thought that if HTDAAB would have been this with better production it would actually be almost a classic

1-Native son
2-Crumbs(better production)
3-SYCMIOYO
4-COBL
5-LAPOE
6-Fast Cars
7-Mercy
8-A Man And A Woman
9-OOTS (BETTER production). good song but it is so overodne and the strings SUCK
10-Smile
11-Yahweh (alt version which is superior)

B-sides -All because of you
-Miracle drug
-Neon lights

I agree.

This would have been much better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom