I'm amazed by Bono...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Since seeing them 3 times this year, seeing Bono up close and far away, I'm amazed by how much dedication, passion and enjoyment he gets out of job (if you even call it a job) the man LOVES what he does for a living -- I've never seen anything like it... he gives 110% every time, no exceptions...

It's inspiring... it makes me want to pursue something I love, because the promise of creativity and knowing what you do drives other people to be inspired is amazing.

I've mentioned this to non u2 fans before, how it makes U2 a unique band. U2 and Bono being the frontman, gives SO MUCH every single show!!!! Its really admirable and it makes me believe him when he says "thanks for giving us a good life". I'm sure he truly means it.

I'm not sure he gives 110% at EVERY show any more.

I would have to agree.

I went to two shows this tour and there was a world of difference in Bono's performance between the two. Really as I see it, it depends on the crowd.

I could see in the first show I went to that Bono didn't feel the love and energy from the crowd so he didn't give that love and energy back. The crowd was lackluster so the band put on a good show but I'm not convinced to this day that there hearts were in it that night. As for the second show, I was blown away by how much fun the band seemed to be having, because they had such a great crowd. And the show was unforgettable.

I actually think a big part of what made the difference was the band performing SHFWILF. Because it gives the band a chance to feel the presence of all the fans there that night. They didn't perform it my first show but they did the second, and I think that made a world of difference. The crowd energy from that song inspires Bono. It's like he can feel every soul present.

There are outside factors to consider, too. I know the band wants to give the best performance they can at every show, but sometimes things like technical problems (which the audience may not be aware of) can get in the way. Also, at many of the shows on the last leg of the tour, the heat was unbearable. It's hard to give an energetic performance when you're just trying not to pass out from a heat stroke.

Remember, too, that there were more than 100 shows on this tour. It was not possible for U2 to provide the "best show ever" at every single concert. The band members are human beings and they're flawed just like the rest of us. Bono says it's hard for him to sing the songs if he doesn't "feel them on the inside," and there had to be some nights when he just couldn't feel it. I'm surprised he can still summon any feeling at all for some of the older hits that he has performed hundreds and hundreds of times.

There are outside factors to consider, too. I know the band wants to give the best performance they can at every show, but sometimes things like technical problems (which the audience may not be aware of) can get in the way. Also, at many of the shows on the last leg of the tour, the heat was unbearable. It's hard to give an energetic performance when you're just trying not to pass out from a heat stroke.

I saw six shows this past summer, and the one in New Jersey when it was probably the hottest and most humid was one of the better U2 shows I've seen.

Remember, too, that there were more than 100 shows on this tour. It was not possible for U2 to provide the "best show ever" at every single concert. The band members are human beings and they're flawed just like the rest of us. Bono says it's hard for him to sing the songs if he doesn't "feel them on the inside," and there had to be some nights when he just couldn't feel it. I'm surprised he can still summon any feeling at all for some of the older hits that he has performed hundreds and hundreds of times.

Oh, absolutely. I can really only speak for the shows I attended, and I don't think the problems were caused by outside factors, although I could easily be mistaken. I could just sense somehow that Bono's heart wasn't in it 100% and I think it was largely in part because Bono kept trying to get audience participation and he just couldn't get it out of them. I also think a big part of that is that half the audience wasn't there. Right before Space Oddity started I found it really odd how there were still so many empty seats in the audience... And I think this ended up being the main factor:

http://www.mercurynews.com/music/ci_18233313

Whereas my second show, Rogers Stadium (the 2011 Toronto date, not the 2009 date) was packed. So it was also just a matter of head count.

In Mexico Night 2, 5/14, he surely seemed to be giving 110%, the whole band appeared to be really enjoying that show, and the crowd was amazing!

Since seeing them 3 times this year, seeing Bono up close and far away, I'm amazed by how much dedication, passion and enjoyment he gets out of job (if you even call it a job) the man LOVES what he does for a living -- I've never seen anything like it... he gives 110% every time, no exceptions...

It's inspiring... it makes me want to pursue something I love, because the promise of creativity and knowing what you do drives other people to be inspired is amazing.

Carpenters Close To You - YouTube

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom