If you wear that velvet dress live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hasin73

Refugee
It's a mystery why U2 never played like opening night in Vegas. Dreamy EDGE
guiter work. What do you think is the reason?

Possibly one of the top 10 live songs in U2 history.

What a pity they never finished it on POP.

The album, live and Jools Holland versions are soooo different I can never pick which one I like best. Just depends on my mood really.

Don't know if I'd go so far to say it's top 10 live.

search on youtube.. plenty of live versions

I prefer the Jools Holland version, that one gives me chills down my spine!
The live version isn't bad, but I feel they could've gotten more out of it..

I think I prefer the Jools Holland performance. I used to be really torn on whether I liked the Live, recorded or Jools versions better. I think I've come to my decision though.

Boy, I really hate the Jools version. They took this haunting ballad full of incredible sonic imagery and turned into a Tom Jones show tune. But then poor old Jools always has been a hack.

i think the studio version is 100x better than any live version.

Me, too. After hearing so much about how great it was live, I was disappointed when I finally saw it a month or 2 ago. Pretty boring. I think the album version wasn't fully realized, but the live version didn't do much for me, either, and was even less impressive.

Its an "ok" song. I think the version they rehearsed for Vertigo would have worked nicely in the setlist (better than Popmart). Unfortunately they dropped Discotheque which elminated the whole "Popcore" idea and Velvet Dress in the process.

I never liked the live version. It took what was a primal, sexual song and made it something...well, not primal and sexual.

The studio version is perfect and is, in my opinion, one of the best songs U2's ever done. Definitely one of my favorites. Edge's guitar solo even sounds like an orgasm. Unbelievable.

:scratch:

I've never heard of this. Can you describe it, or let us hear it?

Basically more of an atmospheric echo and maybe a slightly different key? (I'm not a musician so I have no clue) on Edge's guitar from what it had on Popmart. I think Terry played some type of peddles underneath it while Bono sang the lyrics. Edge hit the echo at the end of Disco which made it flow right into Velvet seamlessly. Would have been cool and Bono was really excited about it at the time. But never got farther than that unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom