If you could only have one decade of U2, which would it be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a big difference between the political activism they did back in the 80's to the activism they do now. Back then it was writing songs based on politics and the occasional benefit concert (Live Aid, Amnesty, etc). These days, they have actually injected themselves into these poltical issues, such as Africa or The Edge's charity Music Rising. Now Bono is meeting face to face with these world leaders to discuss these matters.

But you made it sound like they weren't "very political" back then. Critics and fans alike used to bash U2 all the time for being too political.

Of course there's a big difference, I think they actually get more done this way then back in the 80's.

Music Rising is not about politics.

Yes, very true.

And also, they were controversially political in the 80s.

They took sides.

Bono was threatened by the IRA.

Threatened by opponents of Civil Rights in the US.(Arizona, MLK 1987)

He openly bashed Reagan, death squads, the IRA and drug dealers on stage.

Now it's all about meeting with leaders of all stripes, putting differences aside and working for an issue supported across the spectrum.

BVS is right, it is more effective now.

Hell, even the "annoying" Bono speeches from Elevation and Vertigo have been replaced by Tutu on the video screen.

Someone put off by politics would be far more likely to get pissed off in the 80s than they would be today.

90's fo sho. Pop's my favourite U2 album... AB is 2nd or 3rd (hard to pick between that and JT). Zooropa is up there. Passengers is interesting anyway, and Your Blue Room is one of my favourite U2 songs. Plus the 90's had the most impressive tours (how I wish I could have seen them!) and I think the band overall had their coolest looks (especially B)

however picking a decade to live without is a much harder task. 80s has so many classics, but 00s is the era of my own fandom and has plenty of great songs as well. I have no hate for my boys in any era.

Simple.

If you could only have one decade of U2, it's very hard to argue against the 1980s. You basically had the entire Beatles-esque career sweep there. From humble beginnings (Boy = Please Please Me) to "okay they're getting a bit past it now" point (Rattle and Hum = Let it Be).

I'd take the entire, almost mini-career evolution of the band from 1980 to 1989 over the brilliant Achtung Baby, the great Zooropa, and the great Pop. 1990 might have had their best work, but the 1980s is the better, more productive, more consistently brilliant stuff. Imagine ending a band's discography with the last half of 'Pop'....just doesn't work. Or it works extremely well if you like feeling sad, profound, and cold all the time.

Simple.

If you could only have one decade of U2, it's very hard to argue against the 1980s. You basically had the entire Beatles-esque career sweep there. From humble beginnings (Boy = Please Please Me) to "okay they're getting a bit past it now" point (Rattle and Hum = Let it Be).

I'd take the entire, almost mini-career evolution of the band from 1980 to 1989 over the brilliant Achtung Baby, the great Zooropa, and the great Pop. 1990 might have had their best work, but the 1980s is the better, more productive, more consistently brilliant stuff. Imagine ending a band's discography with the last half of 'Pop'....just doesn't work. Or it works extremely well if you like feeling sad, profound, and cold all the time.

Even that's pushing it calling Zooropa and Pop great. Amongst U2 fans, yes, which would explain why you see so many people say the 90s here.

But as you said, their work in the 80's is Beatles-esque. Iconic. Without that foundation, U2 would have no basis to enter the 90s.

The Joshua Tree itself is one of the greatest albums of all time. If we're comparing 80s vs 90s albums, this is my take:

The Joshua Tree > Achtung Baby
War, The Unforgettable Fire > Zooropa, Pop

Plus Boy, and the everso overlooked October.

Rattle & Hum... well.. it is what it is. Without a doubt, in my opinion, the 80s blows away the 90s in terms of U2's music. Their live experience though? At it's height in the 90s.

Even that's pushing it calling Zooropa and Pop great. Amongst U2 fans, yes, which would explain why you see so many people say the 90s here.

But as you said, their work in the 80's is Beatles-esque. Iconic. Without that foundation, U2 would have no basis to enter the 90s.

The Joshua Tree itself is one of the greatest albums of all time. If we're comparing 80s vs 90s albums, this is my take:

The Joshua Tree > Achtung Baby
War, The Unforgettable Fire > Zooropa, Pop

Plus Boy, and the everso overlooked October.

Rattle & Hum... well.. it is what it is. Without a doubt, in my opinion, the 80s blows away the 90s in terms of U2's music. Their live experience though? At it's height in the 90s.

I certainly see your points, but I'd have to say the 90's myself. Zooropa and Pop might not be their strongest albums to some, but it's all subjective anyway. Personally, I'm more into Pop than the band's first 2 albums combined. But that's just me.

I certainly see your points, but I'd have to say the 90's myself. Zooropa and Pop might not be their strongest albums to some, but it's all subjective anyway. Personally, I'm more into Pop than the band's first 2 albums combined. But that's just me.

Definitely everybody is welcome to their own opinion. Nothing is set in stone, which is why a thread like this works and opens for great conversation. It's a question with many answers.

Back
Top Bottom