Ian McCulloch slags off U2 and their fans..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I love the last paragraph!
........................................................................................................
Echo and the Bunnymen's Ian McCulloch has once again singled out U2 for a tongue-lashing, branding the Irish megastars' music as "flag-waving" and "immature."

McCulloch has regularly stated his aversion to Bono and friends and appears to love using the press to express his disdain. Last year he referred to them as "spud peelers" whose ambition was to join music's elite stars like Bob Geldof, Sting and "all them c---s who no one really likes."

This time around, while he was slightly less vitriolic, McCulloch continued to ridicule U2 for appealing only to a younger, less-mature fan base and being nothing more than a commercial enterprise. "Bands all say they want to be as big as U2, but weirdly no one ever says they're influenced by them," he told New York magazine. "That's because there's nothing there, really."

He continued, "They've got good tunes, and you can see that it works on 14-year-olds. But I can't see mature people or kids, who are looking for something, something deep -- something that you just know it's art and it's going to change your life -- caring. For U2, it's always flag-waving and 'Yippee.'"

Not that McCulloch's jealous of course. Echo & the Bunnymen begin a UK tour of mid-sized theatres in December, while U2 have recently concluded a tour of the world's biggest sports stadiums.

The soddin' mountain goat to end all soddin' mountain goats is back! :hyper:

McCullouch appears to be quite the bitter person, I get the feeling no one will give a shit on what he says about anybody. :lol:

It just brings us U2 fans some worthy entertainment. Axver will surely add it on to his sig.

While I still really do enjoy Echo & the Bunnymen, I can't help but be put off whenever this guy starts opening his mouth. I really don't get why people say they can't listen to U2 because of Bono, but nobody ever mentions the plethora of bands that say obnoxious things like this about U2. And what's the point for saying this? Did Bono pour sugar in his mother's gas tank in the early 80's?

It just really irritates me when people say stuff like this, for no reason at all other than, apparently, to get attention. Why else would someone speak ill of someone else when they have never done, said, or even acknowledged you or your previous vitriolic remarks? I don't know, he just comes off as a jackass, IMO. But I'm sure his remarks sit well with today's indie crowd, so maybe it was a marketing tool on his part. Who knows why he and others continue to be so hateful, I just know it's petty.

And for their homecoming gig they are not playing the echo arena, they are not playing the empire theatre, and they are not playing the Royal court theatre, nope they are playing the massive...................................O2 academy.

The funny thing is that Bono has often mentioned Echo & the Bunnymen as a band of U2's contemporaries, and a group he admired.

Oh well, I guess Ian and the world's 23 Echo & the Bunnymen fans will have another good laugh.

Has this fool ever listened to Achtung Baby??

Achtung Baby is the only U2 album that Ian McCulloch has said anything good about.

Ian has had a long stand gripe about U2. But it is more posturing than any real hatred.

Echo and the Bunnymen have made some great albums. But they wanted to be the Velvet Underground and The Doors (artistically valid but a bit more underground and less mainstream). U2 wanted to be the Beatles (mainstream, tour everywhere and sell tons of records).

He shouldn't be surprised that Echo have had the exposure and success of the Velvet Underground and U2 that of The Beatles.

I love the last paragraph!
........................................................................................................

Not that McCulloch's jealous of course. Echo & the Bunnymen begin a UK tour of mid-sized theatres in December, while U2 have recently concluded a tour of the world's biggest sports stadiums.

:lol:

Yeah, because no band has ever admitted to admire U2 or being influenced by them.

:lmao:

Maybe someone should help him out of bed, so he can leave his house for a change.

I mean, there's critisism you could argue about and then there's pure nonsense. These comments fall into the latter category.

Ah, Ian, just shut up and go back to music that sounds like a poor man's Coldplay. Who are a poor man's U2...which means you're a poor poor man's U2 :ohmy:. Or is that a double negative meaning that he's a rich man's U2? :scratch:

Ah, Ian, just shut up and go back to music that sounds like a poor man's Coldplay. Who are a poor man's U2...which means you're a poor poor man's U2 :ohmy:. Or is that a double negative meaning that he's a rich man's U2? :scratch:

poor man's Coldplay? Echo and the Bunnymen are much better than Coldplay.

Back
Top Bottom