Ian McCulloch slags off U2 and their fans..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly, and that is all that it is... snark, bravado, chest-puffing nuggets for the NME.

Save your anger for those blocking/slowingdown/and lying thier @sses off about healthcare reform. Those on the right and middle left that are not blocking due to principle but as they don't want to lose all of that money they get from the insurance and pharmaceutical industry.

Now THAT is a good reason to be angry. Not Ian McCulloch being Ian McCulloch.

Um, what?

To be fair to Max_TheHitman, why would anyone (a) under age 35, or (b) living in Portugal (if that's where he is) have heard of Echo & the Bunnymen?

For that matter, why would anyone in the USA know, where their highest charting album was 22 years ago and missed the top 50...

a) he's 41
b) he lived in NYC -- people there are supposed to know everything and everyone! :wink:

So there. (we need an emphatic head nod smilie)

Well sure, if people only got their musical knowlege from mainstream radio and MTV/VH1. But we all know that's not always the case - plenty of people find all sorts of stuff that's not a "hit."

Hell, if I could hear and hear about them in some god-forsaken rural area of Ohio where nothing even remotely underground has ever ventured, everyone should have at least heard about them.

(I even have McCulloch's first solo album -- Candleland -- which I like very much, btw. :D )

I always like when these threads turn into defending band _____ (insert name, ie the one not called U2) ultimately.

I'm not defending the band, just arguing the ridiculous notion that if a band hasn't had a "hit" in the US, then no one should know who they are.

Did I say that if they haven't had a hit in the USA no one should know who they are? No, I didn't. I was just saying that there are all sorts of reasons why one might not have heard of Echo and the Bunnymen, which is fairly obvious.

Honestly, some people need to either (a) go back to 4th grade reading comprehension, or (b) stop twisting other people's words to serve their arguments.

Yes, you're right. I'm sorry. I'm antsy when I want to reveal my nipple.

Did I say that if they haven't had a hit in the USA no one should know who they are? No, I didn't. I was just saying that there are all sorts of reasons why one might not have heard of Echo and the Bunnymen, which is fairly obvious.

Honestly, some people need to either (a) go back to 4th grade reading comprehension, or (b) stop twisting other people's words to serve their arguments.

i wouldn't have paid attention to the "no, i didn't" line if you hadn't bolded it. thanks for bolding it.

I'm not defending the band, just arguing the ridiculous notion that if a band hasn't had a "hit" in the US, then no one should know who they are.

Oh, and for the record, this was a bit of a broad interpretation of what you originally said.

Artists who released a handful of excellent records shouldn't criticize those who have released a good half-dozen. Nonetheless, awesome. Love you, Gallagher brothers, but Ian McCulloch makes the most hilarious ill-informed, blanket criticisms of all time. OF ALL TIME.

He actually said this also:

Do you ever think that “The Killing Moon” is bigger than the band itself?
“The Killing Moon” is more than a song, it’s about everything. It’s up there with “Suzanne” by Leonard Cohen, “Blowin In the Wind,” “In My Life.” Every time I sing it I feel like… [looks perplexed] whoa, something just happened there. I let the crowd sing along with it now too. It used to put me off… like being in Glasgow something they’d all sound like “och aye, da dee dee…” But now I really enjoy it. It’s hard enough to get a band to agree and say ‘that’s the one.’ But with “The Killing Moon,” everyone gets it.”

His ego knows no bounds. If nothing else, he can provide some interesting sound bites.

I just wanted to point out that if this was Bono talking equally as enthusiastic about one of their best songs (which he isn't ever ashamed do do) the whole thread would be filled with thumbs up.

I just wanted to point out that if this was Bono talking equally as enthusiastic about one of their best songs (which he isn't ever ashamed do do) the whole thread would be filled with thumbs up.

When has Bono ever said, _________ is up there with 'Blowing in the Wind'?

Surely you can see the difference?

Well thats not really true now is it? how many times has bono said so and so is one of his favorites, followed by threads slagging bono off about his comments?

I often wonder if Ian and Henry Rollins get together for U2/Bono h8r club meetings. Do they have a club house? Pay club dues? Do they spend time formulating quotes to feed to the media? Do they serve refreshments?

:cute:

The quote implies that the world thinks that The Killing Moon is up there with Suzanne, Blowin in the Wind and In My Life which would mean it is one of the best and important songs ever. I have never heard Bono make such a claim about a U2 song. It certainly isn't one of the best or important songs ever. I mean, while it is a great song, it isn't even the best song on the Donnie Darko soundtrack (IMO).

Well...Bono has talked repeatedly throughout the band's history about their (or more likely his) megalomania. He has referred to Boy as one of the greatest debut albums of all time. As we all know he calls his band the biggest in the world. I guess i don't have an example of him comparing any one song to suzanne and blowing in the wind, but whatever, if he did compare, let's say the song "One" to one of the above said classics, i wouldn't be surprised. i wouldn't be offended either. in the same way i'm not offended by what ian said about The Killing Moon. So he thinks it's a classic, whatever. Not really a big deal. Egotistical? Sure, but find me one rock star who hasn't been at one time or another. Comes with the job pretty much.

i guess if you were expecting me to post interview quotes from Bono then you're disappointed. then again that wasn't my intention. i was just saying, imagine Bono saying something like that about one of their all time classic most famous songs. would everyone really be up in arms about it?

Well, there would definitely be a lot of scoffing and good-natured eye-rolling if he said that.

But also, Bono probably wouldn't be dissing some other artist within the same interview.

Well, there would definitely be a lot of scoffing and good-natured eye-rolling if he said that.

But also, Bono probably wouldn't be dissing some other artist within the same interview.

yea true true....not that it's totally beyond Bono to criticize other artists, he just does it in a subtler way, in a way that's more constructive criticism that insulting. like when he talks about the path radiohead and pearl jam have taken. and he always had his views during the 80's and 90's on what good music is and should be (which translated as whatever music U2 was making at the time). but yea, Bono's not one to call people out directly. i'm sure ian's just bitter about the band's legacy. still, if he feels that strongly about this song, then great, let him revel in it.

There's a reason Ian McCullogh can talk shit about anyone and Bono doesn't. The reason is this: when Bono says anything publicly, people actually care.

I used to assume I'd like Ian McCullogh, until I read an embarrassing quotation around 2000 in which he said that the apex of human civilization was the Renaissance and how everything from then onward was downhill; he perhaps rightfully laughed at the use of the internet. I remember thinking how much advancement the world had made in terms of human rights since that period, but what shocked me was how he said something like,

"The Michaelangelo's of this world -- the established artists of their time -- were alright, but I was always into the weird dudes, the Leonardo Da Vincis, who were out there. Echo and the Bunnymen have always been Da Vinci to U2's Michaelangelo."

I felt quite sad that day. McCullough was obviously both pretentious and a moron.

Back
Top Bottom