I was reading the forum archives and...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StormierZiggy

The Fly
...around page 40-45, I found some cool threads called U2 Survivor, where you had to vote for the song you wanted to go next etc. Could we start one of those up again or somethin? Sounds like fun to be a part of :D

...around page 40-45, I found some cool threads called U2 Survivor, where you had to vote for the song you wanted to go next etc. Could we start one of those up again or somethin? Sounds like fun to be a part of :D

We've done so many of them, but if I recall, there is at least one more people were thinking of doing, just can't remember at the moment what it is. The tendency for those kinds of threads is to help with the time between albums, but now we're about to get the new album. However, it might be fun to do one, now that we're in the painfully SHORT waiting period.

Maybe we should bring back the heal and hurt games, those were at least a little different

God, but they NEVER end. And you can't really have discussion while you're doing those. I'm all for another survivor, just what would be the theme of this one?

I remember during the last Survivor some people talking about a live song Survivor. I never thought it would work out well, but it was discussed. Streets would win easily.

I remember during the last Survivor some people talking about a live song Survivor. I never thought it would work out well, but it was discussed. Streets would win easily.

That was it! Thanks GAF :).

Though you're probably right on streets :slant:

Yep, that was the Survivor I had planned out. It would be huge, so I'm not sure I want to do it - and the plan was to not include Streets, since its victory is so obvious, and essentially declare the tournament's winner as second to Streets.

Yep, that was the Survivor I had planned out. It would be huge, so I'm not sure I want to do it - and the plan was to not include Streets, since its victory is so obvious, and essentially declare the tournament's winner as second to Streets.

Well if you work it out, I'd be willing to run it if that's your issue. Now that it's been brought up, I'm excited to do another survivor.

Well if you work it out, I'd be willing to run it if that's your issue. Now that it's been brought up, I'm excited to do another survivor.

My biggest concern wasn't doing the polls and such - I haven't run a tournament in ages so I think I'd enjoy doing it again, though if you'd like to be first reserve in case I decide "oh yeah, this is why I got sick of doing this" and need somebody to do it, that'd be cool.

My biggest concern is in fact the sheer fact not everybody's heard boatloads of U2 live. We could upload samplers of each track up for vote (some songs were divided by eras too), and hopefully people will listen, but compiling that will be a big task in itself. And that is the part I'm most unsure I want to do. Most of my bootleg collection is not conveniently accessible, since I don't trade or listen to a lot of live U2 any more.

My biggest concern wasn't doing the polls and such - I haven't run a tournament in ages so I think I'd enjoy doing it again, though if you'd like to be first reserve in case I decide "oh yeah, this is why I got sick of doing this" and need somebody to do it, that'd be cool.

My biggest concern is in fact the sheer fact not everybody's heard boatloads of U2 live. We could upload samplers of each track up for vote (some songs were divided by eras too), and hopefully people will listen, but compiling that will be a big task in itself. And that is the part I'm most unsure I want to do. Most of my bootleg collection is not conveniently accessible, since I don't trade or listen to a lot of live U2 any more.

Well why couldn't it just be vote based on experience then? It would be kind of a pain to say that "Oh, One from _____ performance in ______ city in _____ year is the best live U2 song" when, that might not necessarily be a great live song in general.

Well why couldn't it just be vote based on experience then? It would be kind of a pain to say that "Oh, One from _____ performance in ______ city in _____ year is the best live U2 song" when, that might not necessarily be a great live song in general.

How would that be feasible? Wouldn't it automatically exclude anybody who hasn't actually seen U2 live, and require us to remove any song U2 haven't played live in about the last 15 years, since only a tiny minority of the forum actually saw U2 in the eighties?

How would that be feasible? Wouldn't it automatically exclude anybody who hasn't actually seen U2 live, and require us to remove any song U2 haven't played live in about the last 15 years, since only a tiny minority of the forum actually saw U2 in the eighties?

That's....a good point. Yeah, I don't know then.

I think uploading samplers would work. I mean, we're all U2 fans here, so I don't doubt people will be eager to hear U2 stuff that they haven't heard before. It's just actually taking the time to compile the bloody things that doesn't enthuse me.

but.. not that much people vote in this survivors... only we, the hyper-hardcore-obsessive U2 fans... and we've heard the songs

but.. not that much people vote in this survivors... only we, the hyper-hardcore-obsessive U2 fans... and we've heard the songs

I just looked at some old Survivors and they were generally getting around 80-90 votes per round, which seems like pretty good turnout.

And if we did a live Survivor, I'm willing to bet there are people out there, even hyper-obsessives, who haven't heard things like Carry Me Home, or even things like Wire that never ended up on official releases. Not everyone owns bootlegs.

Well what about something else then, if live would be too much of an undertaking (maybe save that for the next time we've nothing to do after this album and tour :lol: )

Well what about something else then, if live would be too much of an undertaking (maybe save that for the next time we've nothing to do after this album and tour :lol: )

I'm thinking it would be ideal to do live now, though, since the last tour has had plenty of time to fade and shouldn't distort the outcome quite like it would if we did it only a year after it finished.

But yeah, maybe it's time to simply do Album Survivor again, see how things stack up just before the new album drops.

I'm thinking it would be ideal to do live now, though, since the last tour has had plenty of time to fade and shouldn't distort the outcome quite like it would if we did it only a year after it finished.

But yeah, maybe it's time to simply do Album Survivor again, see how things stack up just before the new album drops.

I know you guys haven't done an album survivor since I've been here, and that's been over three years, and with all the new members showing up for the new album, it might be fun to do it again. Plus, the bomb has had time to sit now, so naturally results for it should be different.

I know you guys haven't done an album survivor since I've been here, and that's been over three years, and with all the new members showing up for the new album, it might be fun to do it again. Plus, the bomb has had time to sit now, so naturally results for it should be different.

Yeah, I think that last time, HTDAAB's result got a bit inflated because it was simply so new when we ran the tournament.

Well if LIVE is too much trouble to run, you could always run something like trynna make the Ultimate U2 12 track record. Then each track that's 1,2 down to 12(only albums with a 12th track can really compete here, so less options for the 12th track) has to compete against other tracks that were 1 on the CD.

So it would be Streets vs Discoteque vs Beautiful Day vs Vertigo vs Zoo Station(small sample)

Mofo vs Numb vs Elevation

For 12, I dunno, Love Is Blindness and The Wanderer make it interesting already :)

Well if LIVE is too much trouble to run, you could always run something like trynna make the Ultimate U2 12 track record. Then each track that's 1,2 down to 12(only albums with a 12th track can really compete here, so less options for the 12th track) has to compete against other tracks that were 1 on the CD.

So it would be Streets vs Discoteque vs Beautiful Day vs Vertigo vs Zoo Station(small sample)

Mofo vs Numb vs Elevation

For 12, I dunno, Love Is Blindness and The Wanderer make it interesting already :)

That one has been done, and I confess I wasn't much a fan of it...

Back
Top Bottom