I was musicked out until....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jinn77

The Fly
....I streamed Native Son and All Because of You & Yahweh (both alternate versions.
I had not heard them in a couple of years and it has blown the dust and wax from my ears. Here's hoping that there is not a reticence in releasing superior versions of songs again as there was in the HTDAAB and NLOTH era. If only somebody would email me to show me how I could once again stream them at leisure on my ipod.:wink:

But anyway i digress. I don't see Dangermouse allowing any of his work with U2 to be sanitised and sacrificed at the alter of Billboard figures. But then again i didn't see the virus that destroyed my precious copies of the previously noted songs.

Yep. The alternative ABOY is so much better than the original. I do still prefer Vertigo over Native Son though.

ABOY alternative lyrics were excellent.

That said, Down all the days is the one unreleased/rare song that was better than the final product.

I'm going to have to give the alternate versions of ABOY and Yahweh a listen, although I don't remember them being more remarkable than the album versions. Native Son is nice to have on the side, though I probably still prefer Vertigo in the end...

I don't see Dangermouse allowing any of his work with U2 to be sanitised and sacrificed at the alter of Billboard figures.

Careful what you wish for. Dangermouse has produced his fair share of Billboard top 10 albums.

‪Demon Days‬- Gorillaz
‪St. Elsewhere‬- Gnarls Barkley
‪Modern Guilt‬- Beck
‪Broken Bells‬-Broken Bells
Rome- Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi (Ok, #11, close enough)
El Camino- The Black Keys
Little Broken Hearts- Norah Jones

Top ten hit =/= "sanitized and sacrificed to the alter of Billboard figures"

Did U2 sell out by making With or Without You? If so, then I'd be more than happy for them to sell out again.

Top 10 hits are top 10 hits. Dangermouse is a modern master of top 10 hits.

Like it or not, he's a dude who produces BIG FUCKING TOP 10 HITS.

:lol: Well, it would appear he does... I would guess that U2's always going to be in that area of sales though, whoever the producer or whatever the musical background (in most cases anyway!).

Truth be told, I'm not too familiar with the songs he produced, at least from the point of view of hearing an entire album. I did like some of the Broken Bells songs though from what I heard.

I suspect that the main reasons U2 decided to take on Dangermouse as a producer is precisely because he is considered a current, "it" producer who can get them big hits again. Even if that theory is correct, Dangermouse is also very talented and has produced some great albums, so hopefully a "win-win" situation.

Back
Top Bottom