I think this is my favourite U2 video.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While Zooropa certainly isn't the most consistent record (though does contain some of the band's strongest songs, IMO), the fact that it's such a creative and spontaneous collection of material elevates it to either my 2nd or 3rd favorite U2 album; I love listening to it while I write :drunk:

Catman said:
While Zooropa certainly isn't the most consistent record (though does contain some of the band's strongest songs, IMO), the fact that it's such a creative and spontaneous collection of material elevates it to either my 2nd or 3rd favorite U2 album; I love listening to it while I write :drunk:

:up: it's #3 for me, right behind AB and TJT. It is inconsistent, and I really dislike a song or two, but I love how weird and creative it is.

I'd go with Stay, hands down. Captures the tone of that song masterfully.

But the whole Zooropa era would fill up most of my top 5.

And Zooropa is my favorite U2 album.

I'd go with Stay, hands down. Captures the tone of that song masterfully.

But the whole Zooropa era would fill up most of my top 5.

And Zooropa is my favorite U2 album.

Agreed, Stay is probably my favourite U2 vid ever. Directed of course by Wim Wenders, who also directed Night and Day, another top 5 U2 video IMO, and TGBHF which wasn't too bad either!

All i want is you is their best video.

....and i'll go crazy if i don't go crazy tonight animation video is quite touching.

Discotheque has this:

adam-clayton-discotheque.jpg

I have absolutely no problem with the Discotheque video. It's a laugh riot. Shame nobody got it, but that's ancient history now. We can and should all look back on it and laugh now.

I have absolutely no problem with the Discotheque video. It's a laugh riot. Shame nobody got it, but that's ancient history now. We can and should all look back on it and laugh now.

I got it. I got the irony, I got the message, and understood what they were trying to do. The problem was, it just didn't work.

I laughed at the time. Lots of people did.

Unfortunately for U2, most were laughing at them, not with them.

I got it. I got the irony, I got the message, and understood what they were trying to do. The problem was, it just didn't work.

I laughed at the time. Lots of people did.

Unfortunately for U2, most were laughing at them, not with them.

The video isn't high art, so it doesn't matter if it "works," it's just 5 minutes of goofy fun. If people laughed, who cares who it was directed at? It's entertainment for the sake of entertainment. There are no deeper layers that the Discotheque music video reveals.

The song and album is a different story, but we've been down that road a thousand times.

The video isn't high art, so it doesn't matter if it "works," it's just 5 minutes of goofy fun. If people laughed, who cares who it was directed at? It's entertainment for the sake of entertainment. There are no deeper layers that the Discotheque music video reveals.

Agreed. The problem is, so many say that Pop, and Discotechque by extension, were "misunderstood", and people just didn't "get it."

The point being, if you have look for the underlying irony in that record, or the song, to appreciate it, and laugh with them, instead of saying "WTF has U2 been smoking"?, they've already failed.

I can think of a number of bands who could have pulled off that video; U2 wasn't one of them. The instincts and reinvention that worked so well for them with AB failed them in this case.

But, as you say, that subject has been discussed and debated to death around these parts.

To me, Discotheque is about the shallowness and ultimately unfulfilling nature of club culture, while at the same time masquerading as a club anthem. I guess you could call that "irony," but it was patently obvious to me from the first listen; didn't really require any deep interpretation. I've always liked the song, myself.

I think most people just didn't care for 37 year olds passing off club music.

And the Village People ending certainly didn't do them any favours.

No, but it's certainly not the most effective form of birth control, either.

They teach you that in highschool because they don't trust a bunch of 17 year olds to pull it out in time. If you look at the statistics, it's actually quite effective (nearly as effective as condoms)

The whole video is a play on Eadweard Muybridge's photographs from the late 1800s. It was the first time motion was able to be studied in any real detail. Before then, there wasn't even a consensus on whether a running horse had all 4 feet off the ground at any one time.

05%20run.jpg

muybridge_plate163_pop.jpg

plate99small.jpg

muybridge.jpg

The more you know
-------=======*

That running horse image is used by my neighborhood locally-owned theater, Elttaes (Seattle spelled backwards!) Theaters.

I can't think of the word for what I'm trying to describe. The little film clip that plays before the movie that introduces the movie theater in which you are waiting with your popcorn. Anyway. It's a film clip of that running horse.

It's neat.

Also, I like the Lemon video.

Back
Top Bottom