I think I finally "get" All That You Can't Leave Behind...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Better sound quality? Bomb?

Heh, yeah, I don't know how to explain it, but to me the instrumentation on Atomic Bomb just sounds more complete, more expressive, a little bit more in-depth. Just my personal take.

By the way everyone, can you guys fill me in on some of these other songs that you've mentioned, like The Ground Beneath Her Feet? Were these B-Sides to singles that were released at that time or something? I'm not familiar with some of these titles. Although, I think I've heard Miss Sarajevo. Where could I find them?

Heh, yeah, I don't know how to explain it, but to me the instrumentation on Atomic Bomb just sounds more complete, more expressive, a little bit more in-depth. Just my personal take.

By the way everyone, can you guys fill me in on some of these other songs that you've mentioned, like The Ground Beneath Her Feet? Were these B-Sides to singles that were released at that time or something? I'm not familiar with some of these titles. Although, I think I've heard Miss Sarajevo. Where could I find them?

I'm sort of with you on the sound thing. I like the instrumentation on Bomb a bit better, but the songs on ATYCLB better. But then again, I like In A Little While a lot, so I'm in the minority I guess. I also think some critics of the Bomb sound are speaking purely technically about studio production. Too loud, lots of compression, etc. A bit sharp.

The Ground Beneather Her Feet was the b-side they lent to the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack based on Salmon Rushdie's book. Beautiful song. Great outtro with Edge's spiraling guitar. As for the others mentioned, I'm way more meh. Stateless was a meandering, boring listen for me, and I gave it several listens. Just uninspired. And Summer Rain is a very bland, ultimate b-side sounding idea that wasn't totally flushed out. Just a simple acoustic chord progression over a fairly run-of-the-mill melody. But again, just my opinion.

The one thing that never ceases to amaze me are the range of opinions on here. And that's great. I love that some love Stateless and Mercy and songs that bore me. And I love that some hate In A Little While and Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World which I love.

But ATYCLB never blows me away like the other masterpieces did. What it is is completely listenable. Just no wow factor.

I was actually the one who said that, and it was really funny.

I should paste that into my signature so everyone can see how funny I am.

Nope. It was Hewson who started it. Now I'm going to make his life uncomfortable here for a while.

people like ATYCLB ? Who knew

I love ATYCLB as much as I dislike HTDAAB, but I do have to disagree with you here. ATYCLB is a far superior record to Bomb , and is more important to U2 than Bomb ever was. It (well mostly Beautiful Day) essentially put U2 back on top after they were in danger of cultural irrelevance after Pop.

But you can't say Bomb didn't have a cultural impact, if for no other reason than the massive penetration of that Vertigo iPod commercial into the pop culture consciousness. That alone secures its cultural status. Plus if I'm not mistaken it sold better than ATYCLB, and won them over legions of new fans (whereas I think ATYCLB more won back a lot of the old fans they may have lost over Pop). So while Bomb may have been an artistic disappointment, by U2's standards it was a phenomenal success.

I like both but while ATYCLB is more important to U2 I don't think it's superior to Bomb. ATYCLB sold more.

With Stateless and Ground beneath her feet instead of some of the weaker offerings on the latter stages of ATYCLB (anything after Wild honey except New York), and a better closer than Grace (Stateless), and them *actually* following up the pop album idea all the way after Wild honey (Summer rain, Flower child, Love you like mad instead of POE/WILATW/NY) it might have been a top 3 U2 album contender.

I like both but while ATYCLB is more important to U2 I don't think it's superior to Bomb. ATYCLB sold more.

With Stateless and Ground beneath her feet instead of some of the weaker offerings on the latter stages of ATYCLB (anything after Wild honey except New York), and a better closer than Grace (Stateless), and them *actually* following up the pop album idea all the way after Wild honey (Summer rain, Flower child, Love you like mad instead of POE/WILATW/NY) it might have been a top 3 U2 album contender.

I mostly agree but you can't take out WILATW. That guitar solo is one of my favorite Edge moments of all time.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet was not a b-side, in the sense that it was not released on any single (other than on its own as a promo single). It was the bonus track on some countries' versions of ATYCLB. It can also be found on the soundtrack to The Million Dollar Hotel, which isn't terribly difficult to find.

I think "straight white guys" is code for not hip. Like when they're awesome it's not problem, but when they make a clunker you get to point out that they are still in fact white, straight and male, like those are the reasons. :shrug:

Oh I got that, but it's still a really odd thing to say when you could just say lame or not cool. It makes no sense.

Luckily his avatar makes up for anything odd he says in his posts.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet was on the Million Dollar Hotel movie soundtrack and included as an additional track on some international versions of ATYCLB. Stateless was also on the Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack. Summer Rain was included on a collection called "U2 7" sold in target stores, containing unreleased and B-sides from the ATYCLB era. Miss Sarajevo was on the Passengers album (Passengers, "Original Sountracks"), an experimental album not released under the U2 name, but comprising U2 and Brian Eno, released in the mid-90s, and the song is also on U2's Best of 1990-2000. Hope that info helps! Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack is still relatively easy to find, but the U2 7 collection is probably out of print but you can probably get it on ebay or something. Also a lot of the above mentioned tracks were released on a U2.com membership fan club release called "Medium, rare, and remastered" released a few years ago only to U2.com subscribers.

I appreciate ATYCLB for the straightforward, relative simplicity (compared to Pop). It's much more about "here is the band, jamming, and making some good tunes" than about "let's experiment with electronica and club music." However, it's really just one flavor of U2, a band that has proven they can offer some interesting, very different flavors.

I would take a look at this one as well:

NEVER LET ME GO-BONO by parfo - YouTube

There was another good Bono vocal around the same time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aeJolrwh5g

Thanks for the info everyone. Doh! Why didn't I think of YouTube. Actually I tried looking for some of those songs on Amazon and Xbox Music, but obviously, not much luck.

Actually, I think I have the best of 1990 - 2000, so Miss Sarajevo should be on there. That is, I think I have it ... hmm ... will have to check.

But one final thought on ATYCLB ... it's amazing how U2 albums fill you with nostalgia. Even ATYCLB does that for me ... it makes me think of that time frame, right around the turn of the century. Boy/October/War makes me think of the early '80s, Joshua Tree/R&H late '80s, Achtung/Zoo/Pop the '90s, etc. Very moving and powerful music these guys make.

ATYCLB gets too much shit around here. It's a great album, and I truly do believe it is their 3rd masterpiece. It's definitely the 3rd most important album they've ever released. It is because of this album that they are still relevant today, and not just "classic rock". However, this fall ATYCLB will be 13 years old, and HTDAAB will be 9 years old! That's a long time to go without a hit album.

This new album needs to do what ATYCLB did, which is usher U2 into the next (possibly last) era of their career. The 5th triology, if you will.

Great post. :up:

ATYCLB gets too much shit around here. It's a great album, and I truly do believe it is their 3rd masterpiece. It's definitely the 3rd most important album they've ever released. It is because of this album that they are still relevant today, and not just "classic rock". However, this fall ATYCLB will be 13 years old, and HTDAAB will be 9 years old! That's a long time to go without a hit album.

This new album needs to do what ATYCLB did, which is usher U2 into the next (possibly last) era of their career. The 5th triology, if you will.

Oh my god,ATYCLB will be 13 this year!!!!! Where has the time gone? I was at college and care free,now im 30 and being made redundant at work!

Oh and its a great album.

Oh my god,ATYCLB will be 13 this year!!!!! Where has the time gone? I was at college and care free,now im 30 and being made redundant at work!

Oh and its a great album.

I was 29 when ATYCLB came out, I was full of piss and vinegar and thought I could take on the world all by my self. Im now damn near 42 and much more comfortable with life, I guess that's what happens to people. I love ATYCLB for several reasons, none of which represented my fleeting youth, or anything like that.

I can still remember throwing the football around outside on a summer night listening to this album. Drinking in the sunset along with a few choice beverages, and then a few too many more. The smell of summer in the eyes of someone who still sees life in a certain light.

I don't know what the future holds in another ten years. Some part of me thinks the memories will fade away and leave a void where brilliance and desire once danced around each other, like dueling mascots of my former self. I often ran away from the hand that was reaching out towards me. Sooner or later we are destined to come full circle.

I was 29 when ATYCLB came out, I was full of piss and vinegar and thought I could take on the world all by my self. Im now damn near 42 and much more comfortable with life, I guess that's what happens to people. I love ATYCLB for several reasons, none of which represented my fleeting youth, or anything like that.

I can still remember throwing the football around outside on a summer night listening to this album. Drinking in the sunset along with a few choice beverages, and then a few too many more. The smell of summer in the eyes of someone who still sees life in a certain light.

I don't know what the future holds in another ten years. Some part of me thinks the memories will fade away and leave a void where brilliance and desire once danced around each other, like dueling mascots of my former self. I often ran away from the hand that was reaching out towards me. Sooner or later we are destined to come full circle.

You made me cry.

Wow. We are of same age almost, but you far more eloquently express what thoughts swirl around in my head sometimes. Thanks for sharing this.

When I'm in the right mood, this album is wonderful to listen to! And it is indeed very nostalgic. I remember Fall 2000 at Rutgers University when I listen to this album. :heart:

ATYCLB is pretty fantastic. Not as rock n' roll as other albums, but it was soothing. Somehow it felt like prayer for 9/11 before it occurred.

ATYCLB is pretty fantastic. Not as rock n' roll as other albums, but it was soothing. Somehow it felt like prayer for 9/11 before it occurred.

This! :up: ATYCLB seemed to be made for the 9/11 crisis, even though it came out before 9/11. There were some uncanny lyrics on songs like New York that seemed to foreshadow the 9/11 tragedy. And Beautiful Day and Walk On seemed to be rather soothing when thinking about 9/11.

I actually like the album more than a lot of people do here. I actually like all 4 singles and Kite and When I Look At World are my favorites on the album. With that said, I still think some of the other songs fall a little flat. If The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Stateless, and Summer Rain had been on the album, then I'd probably rank the album much higher.

This is my preferred tracklist:

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
Stuck In A Moment
Peace on Earth
Kite
New York
In A Little While
Summer Rain
Stateless
When I Look at The World
The Ground Beneath Her Feet

My ATYCLB in my iPod is similar to this one...

[Levitate]
Elevation
Beautiful day
Walk on
Stuck in a moment
Kite
In a little while
Stateless
The ground beneath her feet
New York
Grace

At first, I decided to open it with "Levitate" because I absolutely love the kick and the groove of that song. But I ended up taking it of the tracklist to open it with "Elevation".

ATYCLB is one of my least favourite albums and most of those songs, yeah I like it, but they're very "important" or didn't have much impact on me.

I didn't get into it when it came out- kinda passed me by- tried it again a few years later and thought the studio versions sounded pretty limp

however what I've heard of that album played live sounds great

--

as a u2 fan and as a guy who listens to their music in my office, years ago at university and when i was in school, i had problems with ATYCLB

i never understood the overwhelming success of this album, i mean it was sold 4,4 million copies in the us alone and spent 110+ weeks on the billboard 200

it is one of the best recepted albums of the 2000s and even the rolling stones magazine ranked it in the top 200 of the 500 best albums of all time

i did the attempt to listen to that album and becoming in love with it, but i failed

it had a lot of songs which are good and kind to listen to like BEAUTIFUL DAY; ELEVATION etc

but it has also a lot of mediocre songs,

I can safely say I have never cared in the slightest about U2's album sales, and I don't know why some find it so interesting. I couldn't tell you which U2 album has sold the most. I'd guess Joshua Tree. No idea how many.

Someone made a comment earlier in this thread about Bomb having too much compression. As someone who wants to learn music production, what effect does this have on the sound, and what parts of the album are very noticably over compressed?

Oh and ATYCLB has always been a great record in my eyes and ears. Yeah they copped some shit over it (and still do) on these boards but whatever your misgivings about their safe route, the undeniable fact is there are some GREAT songs on this album and that's all I give a shit about. But I will agree the first half of the album easily tops the second.

I can safely say I have never cared in the slightest about U2's album sales, and I don't know why some find it so interesting. I couldn't tell you which U2 album has sold the most. I'd guess Joshua Tree. No idea how many.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom