I need help to ID a U2 performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elmozelmo

Babyface
Greetings,

This has been bothering me on and off for 5+ years. I'm trying to find a video -- or simply ID the concert venue and song title -- of a performance that I saw on TV 8 or so years ago.

I have watched every U2 DVD I can get my hands on. I have gone through a number of Youtube videos. I have searched Google both for images, and for key terms.

Clearly, I am never going to be able to ID the performance, unless I ask people with a lot more U2 experience than myself.

So...

This was an outdoor venue. For this one song, Bono was standing on a grate, and the primary light on him was coming through that grate, from below. There was light mist or smoke in the air, that allowed the light to make cool, upward shafts. It was a fine vocal rendering, and the lighting made it unique, and incredible.

No problem, eh?
Thanks

Do you remember the song? Sounds a lot like WOWY from R&H if I had to guess...

I think it was probably WOWY, or One, or possibly even Unchained Melody (if they were doing that number 8+ years ago). But, it was not from Rattle and Hum. The venue was brighter, and the performance much more impressive.

How long was Bono's hair? :wink:

I wish I could remember. I wonder if it was a live TV broadcast. For years, I thought it was the Brooklyn Bridge concert (which I had watched on a live TV broadcast). But, I finally checked all of the video from that, on Youtube, to no avail. And, it doesn't appear that could have been it, just from a lack of production refinement.

The concert in question was performed on a single stage, I'm thinking broad, but, not too deep. I don't remember any LED light boards, or catwalks out into the audience, nor movement of the players. As I recall, lighting for most of the concert was more open, as opposed to spot-lit. The piece in question is all that I remember that stood out as different.

Can you remember anything about the other guys? Were Adam and Larry there? Sometimes Bono and Edge make separate appearances. If there were others, do you remember anything about how they looked, or their guitars? Did Bono have a guitar?

Can you remember anything about the other guys? Were Adam and Larry there? Sometimes Bono and Edge make separate appearances. If there were others, do you remember anything about how they looked, or their guitars? Did Bono have a guitar?

It was the whole band. I think Bono only did guitar for one number. I've watched so many U2 performances since the one in question, all of the other details just merge, and I can't separate one from another.

I wonder if there's a listing of U2 live TV broadcasts somewhere...

It was the whole band. I think Bono only did guitar for one number. I've watched so many U2 performances since the one in question, all of the other details just merge, and I can't separate one from another.

I wonder if there's a listing of U2 live TV broadcasts somewhere...

There sort of is. U2Start is a bootleg website with a nice search engine. I think it will let you search by recording type, and let you choose some sort of a "pro-shot" or "broadcast" category. That site itself may just have audio of this specific broadcast, but it could at least give you a useful listing.

Yeah I've been thinking it might be another band entirely. :wink:

Anyway, OP, what I meant was for the "one song" that you originally were looking for and have stuck in your mind, do you remember if Bono had a guitar in his hand? :hmm:

If Bono played guitar, between 2000-2005 that can narrow it down for performances.

Kite on Elevation tour he played acoustic on
I Will Follow on Elevation tour electric

For the vertigo tour.. hmm, not much springs to mind.
I'll get back on this

I don't suppose you could be thinking of Glastonbury. It had some similar looking effects with lighting and rain going on, etc. However that was only a couple years ago.

Edit: Ah nevermind, I see it's been bothering you for at least 5 years... :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom