Iʻm making a U2 Fan Film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbinteract

The Fly
Hi everyone,

Iʻve been wanting to make a film about U2 fans since the Elevation Tour, and this year with the Joshua Tree Tour, I just think its time. I am a filmmaker, and I really want to make a professional film that we can get onto Netflix and streaming services... something the fans truly deserve and can be proud of. I want this film to be made by us, and about us. Can you help me make it?

I need your stories... met the band? been on stage with them? has the music meant or done something profound for you? friendships made at the shows.. great causes and stories of action taken because of being U2 fans... they are all great stories, from the bands first trips to the US, up til now. I want to hear from you.

I am also running a Kickstarter to fund this.. because making a professional film takes a lot of resources... if you can help, find Dream Out Loud Inside The City of Blinding Lights on Kickstarter, or check out the address in my signature (We are not allowed to post links here in the forum)

I hope we can make this film this year, I believe this is the tour to make it on, and I hope to meet many of you this spring and summer.

Yes there have been a few attempts in the past, but I am optimistic we can make this happen. The U2 tribe is a different in a lot of ways. I know in the past people have tried to make a film, but so far it has not happened, and I really believe it needs to happen, and I can't think of a better time then this tour.

True... I'd like to just call it Dream Out Loud, but Kickstarter already had a project named that... and I needed something to start with. I like Dream Out Loud, its been a mantra for me and many fans for a long time. I would also say that in U2 form, they have never shied away from long names though... Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb... haha..
But the name is certainly open to discussion, we have to start somewhere with an idea.. and it goes from there.

Just curious, why wouldn't you plan for Vancouver, the tour opening city? Yes, it is tough to get to all the places on this tour and some, like Dublin, are obvious choices. But I would of guessed that interviewing fans at the tour opener would be an obvious choice to attend to. It would present a unique opportunity to see U2 fans at a unique level of excitement before and after that first setlist. Will they really play the album in full? In sequence? What about other songs? After the first 2 cities on this tour, you'll be speaking to fans that will know all this already. Maybe this is an element that you've already considered. I don't know.

Roland,

I really thought about the tour open, and depending on if we can make the goal, or the secondary goal I may add that in. My thought was finding spots where most U2 fans will be traveling for shows, its by no means a perfect plan yet and it can be adjusted and will be adjusted to include more filming if we can make and then surpass the goal.

I have to admit I thought it was a bit of a mouthful too when I saw the first post but to be fair I think it's called

Dream Out Loud
Inside The City Of Blinding Lights

rather than just one long title?

Dream Out Loud

Gareth,

Yes the second line was always going to be a subtitle, as it appears on the graphic, but I am leaning towards just the Dream Out Loud title.
None of that will matter though unless we can raise the funds to make the film, so please help us...back the campaign.. share it on social media as much as you can. We have to get the word out to the U2 tribe... I really believe this is the best chance to make a film on U2 fans.

Codeguy....

I'd love to hear your story! Please send it to me in a private message. Anyone that has met them at Windmill Lane I am interested in talking to for sure, I have heard so many incredible stories, the ones that I can verify as true I want to see if we can fit in some way into the film... could be the type of scene were multiple people are telling a similar story intercut.
Please make sure you spread the word about the campaign... this film cannot happen without the backing of the U2 faithful.

There is interest in the film.

In the past 24 hours I have heard from some amazing fans. So many say they want to back the project, and that is encouraging... I hope they do.
I wanted to share a couple of quick stories. Do you guys remember the Windmill Lane watchers? I remember hearing about them, but never met any. It was a group of mostly young teens that used to hang out at Windmill Lane Studios in the 1980s, they would help share what the band was up to. And they all had some pretty incredible experiences. Well one of them reached out to me and shared a bit of her story. She said that the entire band would come and talk with them, but particularly Bono... he showed a lot of interest in them, and was like a big brother to them. Thats an incredible story, what a connection, and moments like that need to be put to film, it really is almost music history they were a part of. Please help us do that by backing the campaign. You can find it by clicking the link in my signature.

Another story... anyone remember The Bank Robbers? They got to get up on stage with the band on the Vertigo Tour in NJ. I was next to them talking to Bono when they gave them a CD of them doing a punk cover of Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. Bono said he would listen, and he told them to stand at a specific spot on the floor, and watch for his guy. Nobody thought he would actually do anything... but then he did.. he went and found the bank robbers and pulled them on stage and let them lead a ruff, but fun version of Still Havent Found. I saw it all unfold, it was amazing. Well the Bank Robbers got in touch with me yesterday too. Another great story, and there are so many more... please help me tell them.

Facebook Live January 26

Im going to go live on Facebook Thursday January 26 at 11 PM London time, 6 PM East Coast time, 3 PM West coast time. To talk about the film and the campaign so we can share some thoughts and ideas. I want to hear from you all so join me at the dreamoutloudU2fanfilm facebook page.

Support is coming in!

dreamOutLoudSMALLFB%20NEW.jpg

U2 fans help us tell OUR STORY!
This is our chance to let the world see how unique the U2 tribe is.
We have a new graphic for the film! So far we have raised nearly $3000, but we have a long way to go. Please support the film today at the link in my signature

Dream Out Loud Day February 12

U2 fans, don't miss Dream Out Loud Day on February 12th. We are working with U2 Fans Tour Group and The Stronger Than Fear campaign to challenge U2 fans from around the world to help us make this film. We're having a day-long event as we continue our mission to fund the first ever film about the U2 fan community.. On that day, if you donate $10 or more you will have the option of sending us either a video message, or a voice message with a U2 song dedication. The video clips will be featured in a video that will air on Valentines Day (Feb. 14) and we will also be hosting Dream Out Loud Radio with Adrian Newman on U2 and Tribute bands on the Mixlr. As you tune in to Dream Out Loud Radio you'll be able to hear your dedications and the songs that you've requested.

U2 Fans Tour Group is also creating a Dream Out Loud section on their website, and we will be building a Dream Out Loud wall of honor by listing everyone that backs our film on a webpage there, to say thank you. That Dream Out loud page will also house all the interviews shot for the film once we reach our goal and go into production.

More info to come. Stay tuned and don't forget to like our page on Facebook!

I noticed the funds suddenly doubled (i think?) in the last few days and it's now past the half way mark with 5 days to go! nice one :up:

5 Days to go.. 16K to go

In the past week U2 fans have really been stepping up... we have raised over 24K now... we just need to raise the last 16k and we can make our film to tell our story! Please support the film, you can find the link in my signature below.

DREAM OUT LOUD!

U2 fans from around the world have stepped up... and Dream Out Loud is a reality.
I want to thank everyone who has backed the film, and everyone that has tirelessly worked to share the campaign and make this happen. There is no them... there is only us!
I will post in the forum soon for all fans that want to participate in the film. It is important to me that everyone that wants to share their story can do so.

Back
Top Bottom