I just realized that U2 is almost sacred to me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popsadie

Acrobat
I have been a U2 fan for nearly half of my 35 year old life at this point. I listened to them when I was five years old and my mom loved War and I discovered them for myself during my senior year of high school. Their music gave me a tool to talk to and try to understand God even during times when I didn't feel much like talking to Him. Lately, God and I have barely been on speaking terms and I had been avoiding music that reminded me of that, including U2.

However, old habits die hard; I have learned. I discovered this a week ago while sitting at the hostel I am currently living in. Someone put on the Glastonbury "With or Without You" on the widescreen and at first I wasn't pleased. I had avoided listening to that show on purpose, having heard that Bono hadn't done that great of a show that night. At first, my apprehensions seemed appropriate. Bono's vocals weren't that great and the music at first seemed a bit murky, but then I decided to keep listening. As I did, the swirling atmosphere of Edge's guitar swept me away and the imperfections of Bono's vocals didn't even matter. Without realizing it, I had goosebumps and a feeling of holy ground. It was then that I realized that U2 is very near sacred to me.

I suppose this may be why I can't seem to write an objective review of the new album. U2's themes and the music that accompanies it speaks to me in ways that go beyond my intellect. Very few bands approach the sacred and secular worlds in the way that U2 does and very few sing songs of doubt and defeat in ways that keep me hopeful. I do enjoy the music of many other groups, both "Christian" and "secular", but it seems like I can only listen to most of it with a divided self. U2, however, seem to understand what it is like to be "too sacred for the world" but "too of the world for the church" and thus their music reaches me in ways that other favorite bands can't seem to. Songs like "Moment of Surrender", "A Sort of Homecoming" and "Iris" beautifully acknowledge both the brokenness of my world, but a belief that there is more beyond. Does anyone else feel this way about U2?

I like this post, it is written from the heart.
Indeed, U2 is music for the "soul".
It is also good food for the brain. For us to listen to the lyrics and feel the world
around us, which so many other bands often do not speak (or sing) in the same way.
It lets us see beyond the horizon of those things we cannot see, but we can surely
feel inside each one of us.

I don't believe in God, so whilst I can't exactly relate to what I think you're trying to say, U2's music can, under the right circumstances, get me to a place where no other music can take me. I wouldn't use the word 'sacred', but I thing 'ecstasy' is very fitting, and yes, I does go beyond my intellect. The first time I listened to 'Invisible', it wasn't a cognitive experience, it was incredibly emotional. I don't know if that's comparable to what you mean, all I'm trying to say is that despite the fact we have different views of the world, I could relate to your post.

I'm an agnostic, though I do love Buddhist meditation, but they do speak to me in that sense because of the similarities between the religions. The sense that addictiveness is always a part of the world and drive to breakthrough it and become free. To try and love deeper and not to lose that spark. Their music has catharsis more than any other bands I'm aware of. There's a purification after listening to a good U2 album. Most other bands are depressing in a "cool" way and that can get really old. U2 is a warm band (which means they aren't cool) but it satisfies. Feeling refreshed instead of down is a reason to return to U2 albums.

Then you add the time spent with them (I'm in a similar age group to you) and familiarity/nostalgia is a powerful thing. One day there won't be anymore U2 albums.

I don't look for U2 to enrich my spiritual life, though I will say that if you catch U2 on the right night in concert, and everything clicks...the band, the crowd, the music, etc...it can be like going to church. You can definitely feel the spirit in the house.

Sadly, I really haven't felt that kind of intense spirituality at a U2 concert since Elevation. Something felt missing for me at 360 and definitely at Vertigo. Though there was the time at 360 Boston when (during an otherwise unmemorable show) a girl who was a complete stranger started holding my hand during One and then proceed to hug me and start to cry all over me uncontrollably (ironically I was wearing my "Smell the Flowers While You Can" t-shirt).

I get what you're trying to say OP. I don't really know where I fall on the religious scale currently as I'm still trying to figure all of that out (20 here) but U2's music does instill a response in me that I don't get a lot of other places. It has a depth and weight that gives you a punch in the gut, no matter how many times you hear the intro to Streets. I don't really know the science behind "chills" but I get them almost every time I listen to or see Streets. I'm using that song as an example as it is the one that consistently hits me the hardest but you could substitute that out for many others.

I also think the band took on an even larger amount of importance to me after leaving home for college last year. I would listen to them almost 24/7 during the adjustment period and it would remind me of home and family more than almost anything else at the time.

Sadly, I really haven't felt that kind of intense spirituality at a U2 concert since Elevation. Something felt missing for me at 360 and definitely at Vertigo. Though there was the time at 360 Boston when (during an otherwise unmemorable show) a girl who was a complete stranger started holding my hand during One and then proceed to hug me and start to cry all over me uncontrollably (ironically I was wearing my "Smell the Flowers While You Can" t-shirt).

That's... pretty neat actually. Any other interaction with this person after?

I get what you're trying to say OP. I don't really know where I fall on the religious scale currently as I'm still trying to figure all of that out (20 here) but U2's music does instill a response in me that I don't get a lot of other places. It has a depth and weight that gives you a punch in the gut, no matter how many times you hear the intro to Streets. I don't really know the science behind "chills" but I get them almost every time I listen to or see Streets. I'm using that song as an example as it is the one that consistently hits me the hardest but you could substitute that out for many others.

I'll never forget when I was six and I saw Streets on the Boston Elevation DVD. That performance is why I'm a fan and I still get chills anytime I hear the intro to Streets. It's just such an amazing song. U2 has so many songs that give me chills(One, Bad, Stay, and now Song For Someone), they're just such an amazing band. You're right, U2's songs just have such a weight to them and they hit you hard and leave an emotional impact.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I love your post and I can relate to what you're saying. U2 have been a positive and constructive force in my life for so many years now and their music surely has a sort of healing power. They helped me to overcome a bitterness that I had in my heart for many years because of certain things that happened to me when I was younger. I really hold on to the band and their music, and I consider them to be part of my spiritual life. Even though I don't agree with everything they are doing, I find it difficult to be really critical - though I think I've learned to become more critical about them in recent years. That's part of the reason why I don't like the negativity that some fans are displaying when talking about the band and the things they don't like about the band. I've always thought that there's so much negativity going on in the world that I want to consider my favorite band a positive force instead of adding more controversy and irritation to life. What I love about their music is that there is always a good amount of darkness about it, but it also says that there is hope and that you shouldn't despair. It's not denying the brokenness of the world, but it tries to show us a way to overcome it and to make it better and easier for ourselves and others.

Back
Top Bottom