I "heart" Self Aid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Sad Punk

Blue Crack Addict
Twenty three years t'day!

YouTube - U2 : C'MON EVERYBODY ( Live Dublin 86)

SELF-AID 1986: IT EVEN SEEMED A BAD IDEA AT THE TIME
Apr 23rd, 2009 by Conor McCabe

People look back on events in Irish history and they think: how could we let this happen?

Keep that in mind when NAMA hocks our future in order to save the skins of our indigenous economic elite. Because baby you look back at what that elite was doing during those dark times and the sense of déjà vu would knock your TESCO-brand socks off.

Fianna Fáil’s shafting us again, which means that in five years’ time we’ll probably have something on the lines of SELF-AID as part of the usual middle-class “won’t somebody think of the children!” response.

I don’t mean the same idea, of course, but the same principle. Then again, given the enormous capacity for originality among Ireland’s middle class - Joyce didn’t call them The Dead for nothing - we’ll probably get the Self-Aid reality show, where people have to sing for a job. Oh well.

So. Seems as we’re having a re-run of bank bail-outs , we might as well have a re-run of SELF-AID.

Dublin Opinion � Blog Archive � SELF-AID 1986: IT EVEN SEEMED A BAD IDEA AT THE TIME

YouTube - U2 : PRIDE (Live Dublin '86 Stereo)

In his book When the Music's Over, Robin Denselow recalls that when U2 toured the USA in 1987, after Bono's visit to Nicaragua and El Salvador, fans brought along Amnesty banners and slogans calling for the release of political prisoners, the ending of apartheid or praising Martin Luther King, the subject of U2's song 'Pride'. "We're not a political band, " Bono later insisted but then added, "but politics is a part of it." Pop music's ability to arouse global interests and passions was never more obvious than during 'Live Aid', driven by Bob Geldof and inspired by a terrible famine in Ethiopia. Geldof succeeded, for a time at least, in making rock audiences around the world aware of the problems of world hunger and succeeded in raising $140m worth of aid contributions.

Geldof put the emphasis on running a humanitarian rather than a political campaign but, as Denselow pointed out, Geldof's own experiences quickly showed him that politics and famine were very closely linked. And when Geldof was captured on camera questioning Margaret Thatcher about the over-production of butter or lecturing the west and the USSR at the UN, nobody could doubt that he was being political. "Any television programme that reaches an audience like that [around two billion people], and which by its very nature questions the distribution of wealth on the planet, even if through such soft, if effective devices as a Cars video, will stimulate debate and become a political event, " Denselow wrote.

But Live Aid specifically, and the relationship between politics and pop stars as a whole, are not without their critics. The British Left were highly suspicious of Live Aid arguing that it represented the story of an individual trying to right the wrongs of the world and that offered tremendous ideological value to Thatcher and her 'Victorian Values'.

Those of a less ideological bent said that governments should be tackling world hunger and their ability to act dwarfed anything that could be achieved by a group of pop stars, however well meaning. Worse still, they argued, events such as Live Aid took the pressure off politicians to act.

And while the motives of Geldof or Bono were beyond question, it was suggested that some of the bands who played seemed to be using the concert as a launch-pad for further commercial success.

The ripples of Live Aid spread across the rock music industry, resulting in the misguided Self Aid concert in this country, which was a hugely - flawed attempt to address the then chronic problem of unemployment in Ireland and numerous charity concerts across Europe and the rest of the world, which became somewhat jaded.

Ballad box in one hand, karma-lite in the other

YouTube - U2 : Sunday Bloody Sunday - Live Dublin '86 ((Stereo))

It was a very worrying time for everyone, not just students. Almost 250,000 people were unemployed in a Country of 3.5 million and the future looked very bleak. Friends of mine had already emigrated, some to America, but the majority had taken the shorter and less expensive boat trip to Britain. That thought had crossed my mind also but I had a part-time job and was optimistic that a good Leaving Cert would secure me permanent full-time employment, so I stayed put.

The 'Self Aid ? Make It Work' concert was organised to highlight the problem of unemployment, invite donations and job pledges. Like most events it had its critics. Several journalists (notably John Waters writing at the time in In Dublin) criticised the event proclaiming it was well intended but ill-conceived, and that it didn't address the root causes of unemployment. But in the end all that noise didn't stop the event from going ahead.

CLUAS | Music Features | Self Aid: Looking Back Twenty Years On

YouTube - U2 - Maggie's Farm

Bono admitted to not identifying with the unemployed in every aspect of their depressing situations -- "I've been in this band since I was 16 and now I'm 26" -- but he did what he does best. He lifted hearts. "This is a song about pride...don't let them take it away!" The majestic acoustic rendering of "Pride" followed a bizarre, but frantically enjoyable opening cover version of the Eddie Cochran standard "C'mon Everybody." "Sunday Bloody Sunday" led into the perfect non-sermonizing political statement, Dylan's "Maggie's Farm."

With Edge, Larry and Adam relishing the opportunity to plunder the catalogue of rock's great anthems, Bono updated the interpretations with chilling references to ever-present nuclear catastrophe. "Chernobyl's got me on the run," he intoned, in a brief trip through Lennon's "Cold Turkey." Eerie tapes of political ranting and F-11s blared in the background.

"Bad" closed the euphorically received set. A great Irish rock occasion, a feast of music for 30,000 fans in the Royal Dublin Showground and a million Irish TV viewers. But for 1,200 of Ireland's unemployed, Self Aid was even more. It was a job and a brighter future.

© Propaganda, 1986. All rights reserved.

YouTube - U2 : BAD - Live Dublin '86 ((Stereo))

Lily Allen to stage 'Knife Aid' concert
July 11, 2008

Singer Lily Allen is set to stage a 'Knife Aid' concert in order to raise awareness and stop knife crimes.

The 23-year-old 'Smile' singer is currently trying to recruit other stars to perform at the concert. Among those she is planning to approach are Amy Winehouse, Razorlight, Kaiser Chiefs, Leona Lewis, Jaz-Z and Sugababes. Allen said: "My thoughts are with all the families affected by these heinous crimes. We need to have a knife amnesty. And we should put on a big concert to raise awareness and stop the violence." Lily is joining with the mayor of London, Boris Johnson, to stage the concert and the pair will meet soon to discuss the details of the project. Boris praised Lily for her initiative, saying: "I'm greatly encouraged to hear that Lily, who has a tremendous young fan base, is speaking out against violence and wants to do something. It is brilliant that she is using her influence to make a stand and I look forward to hearing her plans."

The planned event would raise money for the families of victims of knife crime and provide schemes to help clear blades off the streets. Nineteen teenagers have been killed in knife attacks in London this year.

Lily Allen to stage 'Knife Aid' concert - Nachrichten English-News - WELT ONLINE

... and if you manage to a) find videos of Whiskey In The Jar and/or Make It Work to post here or b) make an animated GIF of Bono falling during Pride, you're a damn good citizen.

:whistle:

bonoprideflipcamiyak.gif

But for real: that is one of the few live versions of Pride where they nailed it.:up:

They crawl out of the woodwork
onto pages of cheap Dublin magazines

I used to have that as my sig here.

This thread is just one big helping of cornflakes of respect.

U2 were certainly at their peak in '86, but I have to say that I don't like these Self Aid performances. (Maybe the slightly misguided nature of the whole project affected them?) I dunno, they just sound sloppy and unrehearsed; the Bono crash off the drum rise is sort of indicative of the whole thing.

I'm sure it was great if you were there (stellar line-up of artists at that show!), but in retrospect, and based on the audio/video that survives, it doesn't sound too hot to me.

U2 were certainly at their peak in '86, but I have to say that I don't like these Self Aid performances. (Maybe the slightly misguided nature of the whole project affected them?) I dunno, they just sound sloppy and unrehearsed; the Bono crash off the drum rise is sort of indicative of the whole thing.

I'm sure it was great if you were there (stellar line-up of artists at that show!), but in retrospect, and based on the audio/video that survives, it doesn't sound too hot to me.

Gee, you don't say!

Nah, really I think that kind of hits the mark - the whole thing is a bit shambles, and if you have seen the terribly messy Whiskey In The Jar by Bono and about three million other artists, that sums it up pretty well. It makes the Do They Know It's Christmas performance at Live Aid look like an Athenian symposium in comparison.

But that SBS performance is seriously my favourite version of the song ever, and one of my very favourite U2 songs in general. So, there's that.

But that SBS performance is seriously my favourite version of the song ever, and one of my very favourite U2 songs in general. So, there's that.
Bono's voice :up::up::up:

I real enjoy Self Aid :) I think you should download the 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford show, the SBS,Bad and Pride version from Self Aid are amazing, but in vocal performences arent as good as the East Rutherford versions :) Wich must make the East Rutherford realy amazing :)
w w w .mega upload.com/?d=MMFX613Z

I real enjoy Self Aid :) I think you should download the 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford show, the SBS,Bad and Pride version from Self Aid are amazing, but in vocal performences arent as good as the East Rutherford versions :) Wich must make the East Rutherford realy amazing :)
w w w .mega upload.com/?d=MMFX613Z

Message in a Bottle was pretty good.

Save it for the "I 'heart' the Conspiracy Of Hope tour" thread, you lot!

The Maggie's Farm performance was U2 at thier best - dark and brooding best. Although they've certainly seen better days/songs/tour moments I 've got to say I really miss the anger of those pre-Joshua Tree days.

Back
Top Bottom