I "heart" POP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think there would have been much progression after Pop. U2 went back to a different mindset afterwards. While I love Pop, I agree that it's overproduced and, at least for me, certainly not a "masterpiece". It's flawed. Lyrically, there is some good stuff, but generally there are a lot of lose ends.
Still I say U2 themselves should give the album a little more love, because they downplay it in a way that's not appropriate. It isn't a bad album, but it could have been much better. As far as emotions are concerned, my clear vote would go to ATYCLB, because it seems just more sincere to me. Pop is too much about effects.

Also I have been getting into Radiohead lately and (tell me if you agree or not) but i think that Pop (and zooropa and even passengers) could be a major and direct influence on Radiohead's work.

is overproduced the right word for pop or the last two?
I think overproduced is one of the most overused terms anyway

IMO the production of the entire middle section of POP (If god ... - Gone) detracts from the songs rather than adding to them
(Wake up dead man for example does a way better job at incorporating the extra sounds)
U2 wrote some standard U2 songs (with mediocre chorusses) and then added production to make it blend in with the MOFO's of the album (and it still doesn't blend)

I don't like the sound of How to dismantle ....
but it detracts less from the songs than the production on POP does
IMO of course

IMO the production of the entire middle section of POP (If god ... - Gone) detracts from the songs rather than adding to them

My thoughts exactly.

But I also have to say that Pop contains some of my all time favourite U2 songs, particularly Please, but also Staring at the Sun. It's the same with Zooropa, I'm not very fond of that album, still I say Stay and First Time are among my all time favs.

I don't think there would have been much progression after Pop. U2 went back to a different mindset afterwards. While I love Pop, I agree that it's overproduced and, at least for me, certainly not a "masterpiece". It's flawed. Lyrically, there is some good stuff, but generally there are a lot of lose ends.
Still I say U2 themselves should give the album a little more love, because they downplay it in a way that's not appropriate. It isn't a bad album, but it could have been much better. As far as emotions are concerned, my clear vote would go to ATYCLB, because it seems just more sincere to me. Pop is too much about effects.

Yeah seriously, they should be pretty proud of Pop and not be so down on it. it's weird. And yeah, I shouldn't lump ATYCLB with HTDAAB at all. I love ATYCLB soo much as opposed to HTDAAB which i love some of the songs but think the album is weak.

I guess I am a big fan of new sounds and weird experimental stuff, so i like that about Pop. But, yeah, with ATYCLB you can just feel the sincerity in a way that is missing with Pop. (wow... i said it, haha) yeah i couldn't explain it at the time but I cried when I saw them play beautiful day live. haha, i don't even really like that song. and Kite brings tears to my eyes when i hear it anywhere (live or recorded).

I think overproduced is one of the most overused terms anyway

(Wake up dead man for example does a way better job at incorporating the extra sounds)

I would actually agree, only i would put Gone with Please and Miami and the rest. I really love Gone and I think the fact that it translated so well live during the Elevation Tour is a credit to how raw it is. there are a little bit of pre-recorded sounds but not much. Last Night on Earth was prolly trying too hard, haha. I'll Never really like If God Will Send His Angels and I will Never forgive Bono and Edge for the live acoustic version during pop mart but i still like that song. good lyrics in the versus.

Actually the more I think about it, Salome, I think you hit this one right on the money! ...except for Gone, haha. but yeah, well said. well said indeed!

that, and they just didn't get any great songs on it

I have come to accept that I am one of few on this forum who doesn't think this album is a masterpiece
but how anyone can reckon this album is not overproduced in comparison to their 00s output does leave me dumbstruck

to end on a positive
I rate some of the lyrics on this album as the best Bono(/ & Edge) have done

Overall Bono was better lyrically on AB and Zooropa in that era.

This thread isn't any more or less legitimate than any other thread here in this forum, because every topic here basically consists of people shouting out their own opinion about albums or songs.

:up:

Yeah and I post videos so people can watch them to add some fun to the thread. What is the point of allowing videos on interference if people aren't going to have some fun with it.

Spam would be if I put a whole bunch of unrelated videos.

Wow some people are really angry with these posts. :reject:

Do people want me to stop them? I spend a lot of time putting together the videos because I think they are fun. I won't post like this anymore if it's a big problem. People seemed to have enjoyed them in the past.

Wow some people are really angry with these posts. :reject:

Do people want me to stop them? I spend a lot of time putting together the videos because I think they are fun. I won't post like this anymore if it's a big problem. People seemed to have enjoyed them in the past.

Nah.. don´t worry purpleoscar... :wink:

some people here usually " got so much for so little"..

Honestly, I will never understand the love for Pop. It is truly my least favorite U2 album. While Please may in fact be one of their most beautiful songs, the rest of the album just feels like an unfunny joke. October has an excuse, Pop doesn't. They can pretend like the album was attempting to be ironic, and perhaps I would have bought it if the entire thing sounded like Discotheque, but it doesn't. The whole trying to make fun of the Pop music scene ends about two tracks into the album. The rest of it is poor U2 music.

Personally, I don't understand why Pop is considered such a strange left turn, especially in context. IGWSHA (which was great on the album but absolutely nowhere else) and Staring At The Sun in particular are just straightforward U2. The only part of the album that continues to surprise (shock?) me is If You Wear That Velvet Dress--->Please--->Wake Up Dead Man, which has a flow and atmosphere to it that easily rivals UF at it best. It's so vulnerable and musically inventive.

But I don't mind anything on the album, really. Miami is a dud on the album itself, and Mofo is just far too much (which became an asset during live performances of the song), but otherwise, I can't complain. Lyrically and thematically, it's right up there with their very, very best (and I know you don't care much about lyrics, but it's a key part of what makes the album such a thrill), and I do like the production, which has something of a lo-fi feel to it, even though it covers a lot of musical ground, much like Prince's Sign O The Times.

Can I just say that live clip of North and South of the River which was posted is one of my all-time U2 performances ever? Sure, the piano and muted horns are pre-recorded, but it really elevates an already great song into something much stronger. Right after the Omagh bombings? Bono and Edge singing together at the end? Wow. Just amazing.

I still say this song is better than everything on ATYCLB except Walk On.

Let's imbed it AGAIN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yQ5...heart-pop-191301.html&feature=player_embedded

yeah I never knew that this video existed before now, honestly. This song is nothing but precious and this performance is very nice.

On the recorded version the "love will have it's day" in faleseto bit is one of my favorite Bono vocal moments. it's tender :hug:, vulnerable even.

in this video you can also see the experimental-knit-cap period of the edge, haha.

Awesome lemon and awesome collage behind you. Have you got any pictures of it?

my room used to be covered wall to wall with small magazine cut outs of the band but i took them all down and now i don't know what to do with them all. i don't wanna throw them out :huh: maybe photo-montage is the answer :huh:
I made that lemon by hand :up:

I cut up my brother's Rolling Stones to make this collage:

U2collage.jpg

I need to make a new one though, with a wider span of photos. These are mostly Vertigo with a few early pics thrown in.

Honestly, I will never understand the love for Pop. It is truly my least favorite U2 album. While Please may in fact be one of their most beautiful songs, the rest of the album just feels like an unfunny joke. October has an excuse, Pop doesn't. They can pretend like the album was attempting to be ironic, and perhaps I would have bought it if the entire thing sounded like Discotheque, but it doesn't. The whole trying to make fun of the Pop music scene ends about two tracks into the album. The rest of it is poor U2 music.
BITCH! :madwife: Don't be dissing Pop. I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE. (okay, so I don't, but I could find out!)

I like Pop, but I don't think it's one of their better albums, in balance. The songs are mostly all great, but somehow the whole is less than the sum of its parts. I have to concur with the earlier poster that the #1 problem is that the record is OVER-PRODUCED. If you play any of their early tracks and then put on a Pop-song, the first thing you notice is the sonic compression of the sound, making it sound like a lot of expensive, high-tech noises on a 50$ ghetto-blaster.

Thus the heart of the problem with Pop: the magic of what makes U2 great -- 4 guys playing honest, heart-on-the-sleeve rock and roll -- gets somewhat buried under the studio compression.

Another interesting thing about Pop -- it was the first time when U2 seemed like old farts. The younger generation of guitar bands had really supplanted them at that time.

The one thing I don't understand is why I don't have any problem with the production on Zooropa, but I do with Pop. Somehow the Zoorpora sound is cleaner and more . . . er, honest and U2-like, whatever that means. It still resonates with the soul of U2 to me (even though its songs are a bit weaker than those on Pop), whereas the Pop album in general sounds like U2 running away from themselves.

I do give them credit for experimenting, which is why they're still popular today. And, as others stated, the lyrics on Pop are excellent.

Also I have been getting into Radiohead lately and (tell me if you agree or not) but i think that Pop (and zooropa and even passengers) could be a major and direct influence on Radiohead's work.

Could be. But keep in mind that Pink Floyd's brand of spacey rock has influenced Radiohead too! Here's an example:

YouTube - Pink Floyd-The Narrow Way Part 2

Now play National Anthem from Kid A and tell me they don't sound similar!

I'm not saying.. OMFG! Radiohead ripped off Floyd!1!1

just that there could be an influence there.

Radiohead was definitely influenced by Pink Floyd. It's all over OK Computer. Kid A, not so much.

I think Aphex Twin was a huge influence on that record:

YouTube - Aphex Twin - Xtal

Compare that to Everything In Its Right Place.

Holy shit Mel! That video was painful to watch.. esp. the 9/11 stuff.

Anyway I don't see how that is any more similar to music on Kid A than the example I mentioned.

Yeah, everyone was voicing their complaints in the comments section. :lol: Can't blame them, the video didn't fit the song at all.

It's just one song, of course. Over the course of the entire record, you can pick out where Radiohead got some of their electronic inclinations from. Any artist that uses Ummagumma as an influence, I don't want to bother with. :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom