I 'heart' Achtung Baby my favorite album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots of UTTEOTW guitar in some of the outtakes.

A friend of my brothers had a tape for some other Achtung Baby outtakes that sounded like 60 seconds in kingdom come style guitar. I have no idea if it's these outtakes or some other ones. :hmm:

I personally would like to hear the 80 versions of Breathe on Brian Eno's computer. :drool:

One of the best albums ever made...period.

Best U2 album hands down...

I love it beyond words, as strange as it may sound I can't imagine my life without it...it's my running/painting in studio art/driving in the car companion and the source of constant inspiration.

And the B-Sides aren't that bad either.
:up:

I can't wait for the remastered reissue of this album. They could really pump out a 3CD/2DVD set and I would buy it in an instant. There is such a wealth of material from Berlin through to ZooTV, and ALL of it is, if not great, than at least damn well worth listening to.

Great thread -- thanks!

Needless to say, this is one of the truly great rock LPs ever made, and it stands high alongside The Joshua Tree as U2's masterwork. Nothing they've done since Achtung Baby has been as good... that's a not a put-down, though; I don't think anybody has made a rock LP this good since.

I was 15 when this album dropped, and I remember accompanying my best friend to buy the CD the day it was released. At 17, I went off to university and frickin' everybody had this album. In those days (1993-1994 I was a freshman), there were certain CDs that most students had: Counting Crows' first album; Bjork's first album; Smashing Pumpkins, etc., etc... but everybody had Achtung Baby. I don't think I ever went into a dorm room and didn't see it.

What stuns me about this record now are two things:

1) how prolific they were -- yeah, there was some time off between Lovetown and this, but not that much time off (and nothing, compared to today). But they produced so much quality stuff... all of Achtung, all of its (awesome) B-sides, some of Zooropa, and even rough sketches of stuff that would get used on Pop much later. Clearly, after all the tension that started the Berlin sessions, something was unlocked and the muse was back, in a big way.

2) Edge -- no set of sessions demonstrates his genius like the Achtung-era stuff. I mean, he is absolutely on fire throughout. I don't think I have ever heard a record that showcases the genius of an electric-guitarist like this one (well, maybe Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced? or The Stone Roses' Second Coming, but this is better than both). The solo on "The Fly" alone is better than the best moment of Mozart and Beethoven.

This album is absolutely stunning. Be it resolved.

You crazy person

To me, it is all of you that are crazy!
emo.gif

I was seven when this album "dropped," as they say.
I'm sure if my parents had bought it for me then, I would have loved it just as much as I do now. :wink:

I always remember one of my high school teachers passing around his old college yearbook from that time, and there was a school-wide poll in there on favorite music, album, artist, movies, etc. Achtung Baby was number one for albums, and U2 was number one for artists. I still remember being in awe and wishing I was in high school or college at that time. :D

Best album ever maid. :drool:

One is even better than The Rolling Stone's Sympathy for The Devil.

About 75% of AB's tracks are excellent. Until The End Of The World - one of the darkest songs of the 90's. It's my 2nd U2's favourite song after magnificent One. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses is also classic song but it's not popular even between U2 fans. The Fly, Zoo Station and Even Better Than The Real Thing are great. So Cruel and Acrobat are excellent. Try To Trow Your Arms Around The World is mediocre. Ultraviolet and Love Is Blindness are overestimated ok songs. :hmm:

Best songs of the 20th century:

1. U2 - One
2. The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil
3. ABBA - The Winner Takes It All
4. Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy
5. Nine Inch Nails - Happiness In Slavery
6. Hallucinogen - LSD
7. U2 - Until The End Of The World
8. Depeche Mode - Halo
9. Elvis Costello - (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding
10. Mansun - Disgusting

Old thread, old posts, yadda yadda yadda! This album is amazing! It was sooooo far ahead of it's time! I recently got into Acrobat (had been ignoring it for some dumb reason:doh:) and my god, is that not the coolest song you've EVER heard!?:drool: I :bow: to this album! They cranked out great tunes. UTTEOTW, The Fly, MW, Ultraviolet, WGRYWH, EBTTRT, everything on here is just epic. Edge's guitar work is incredible. Especially on The Fly. The attitude of this album is :shocked:. I currently have this one and JT as my top U2 albums. I can't say enough about this album. The sonic textures are incredible. I hate that I wasn't alive to see ZOOTV.:angry: And this album would be even more incredible with a deluxe edition release.:drool: I just had to say something about Achtung. BEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME!

Easily one of the best alternative rock albums ever released, and in my opinion among the top five albums released in the 1990's.

But that's just me.

Old thread, old posts, yadda yadda yadda! This album is amazing! It was sooooo far ahead of it's time! I recently got into Acrobat (had been ignoring it for some dumb reason:doh:) and my god, is that not the coolest song you've EVER heard!?:drool: I :bow: to this album! They cranked out great tunes. UTTEOTW, The Fly, MW, Ultraviolet, WGRYWH, EBTTRT, everything on here is just epic. Edge's guitar work is incredible. Especially on The Fly. The attitude of this album is :shocked:. I currently have this one and JT as my top U2 albums. I can't say enough about this album. The sonic textures are incredible. I hate that I wasn't alive to see ZOOTV.:angry: And this album would be even more incredible with a deluxe edition release.:drool: I just had to say something about Achtung. BEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME!

I am glad you finally discovered Acrobat. That song is fucking awesome... My favourite U2 song of all time.
I must say I have really enjoyed the youtube links at the beginning of this thread. i have forgotten about some of these clips... It was great seeing them again.

i'll never forget when i first heard it.

i was on the way home from the plaza after having bought it, and it was raining. i chucked it on and instantly recognised zoo station, because it was the theme song to all the AFL videos that i have.

i listened to the album all the way through on an old crappy laptop in windows media player with those standard wmp visualisations, and only liked wild horses and ultraviolet. i made a thread about all those years ago, and i saw the thread the other day, and it's incredibly embarrassing because i got quite fired up :lol:. this was back in a time however where any anti-achtung opinion was shot down, not praised.

i listened to achtung for two weeks straight and nothing else, fell in love with it all and haven't looked back since.

I am glad you finally discovered Acrobat. That song is fucking awesome... My favourite U2 song of all time.
I must say I have really enjoyed the youtube links at the beginning of this thread. i have forgotten about some of these clips... It was great seeing them again.

Yes. One of my favorite U2 songs. It's second, next to Stay. I think what's interesting about it is the time signature of the song. I won't go into that as it may go over some people's head but the song is in 12/8 time. And the lyrics are some of the best. Those youtube clips are cool.:up:

Back
Top Bottom