I "heart" A Year In Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolian2

Blue Crack Supplier
Last edited:
I respect this so much that I'm going to help it maintain its low ratings by not watching it even now. :up:

I respect this so much that I'm going to help it maintain its low ratings by not watching it even now. :up:
bite me.

i remember staying in that evening and taping it...on a vcr! i did the same thing when they appeared on this vh1 show legends, which was basically behind the music without focusing on the drama of "omg the singer became alcoholic/a drug addict/went bankrupt!"

was it any good? i might actually watch it.
it's not bad, it just had the unfortunate timing of being aired saturday night. seriously, who sits around on saturday night channel surfing?

Were did it air?

Lowest rated T.V special? OUCH!
it aired in america, on the channel abc.

i'm not sure if it's still the lowest rated, but when it aired in 97 it was. regardless though, yeah. no one watched it.

bite me.

i remember staying in that evening and taping it...on a vcr!

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's on one of my bazillion bootleg DVDs that I probably watched once in 2004 and haven't touched since. So I've seen it and don't really remember it. :tongue:

I'll watch this when I finish listening to NLOTH for the 23894592385934520938465293485th time.

They certainly let their egos go too far but the result was a great tour even if the Americans didn't "get it". Let's hope they get ambitious again with the new tour and blow away the new audience they created the past 10 years.

I think Mick Jagger's TV special from a few year's back may be the current holder of that title.

Haha, I think Bono's in that, too.

That is a terrible, terrible documentary. Although it seemed that everytime I put on the Biography channel, a repeat of it would be showing. I'm sure I could probably karaoke to it by now. Do people do that with documentaries?

Ahh, A Year In Pop will always hold a special place in my heart. I remember being in Vegas for the PopMart opener when it aired...it had already aired on the East Coast but not in Vegas yet when I was checking my messages online...somebody told me that I REALLY needed to watch it...

Upper left at 2:34-2:35 into the video, gal in the purple coat...that is me. :D Had no clue I'd been taped until I saw it...

I still don't get the whole "K-Mart" thing...I'm glad I was just alittle kid durning this whole fuckery

I still don't get the whole "K-Mart" thing...I'm glad I was just alittle kid durning this whole fuckery

It's about irony. They thought the period was about consumerism so they made fun of that. ZOOTV was about 24hr news becoming entertainment and about getting your ideas from TV mainly as something we should be aware of. Americans didn't 'get' Popmart because they thought U2 were serious about the consumerism as opposed to ironic. U2 tested the audience during the 90's and went a little too far for many hence the half empty stadiums in the U.S. Much of the rest of the world loved it though you can see in the Mexico City concert when Bono is talking about "different colors" to the music that the audience wanted them to step back from that, which they ultimately did.

If this new album sells reasonably well they will probably want to stretch it a little though I don't think they will want to stretch it as far. I don't think Larry would allow them to. If you come out with an experimental album during a tour for the 'big' album you can get away with it but you will have to come out with another big album to not totally lose your audience. For example the record company forced U2 to not use their name for Passengers because they knew it wouldn't be a big hit album. The idea is to tease the audience without causing career suicide.

It's about irony. They thought the period was about consumerism so they made fun of that. ZOOTV was about 24hr news becoming entertainment and about getting your ideas from TV mainly as something we should be aware of. Americans didn't 'get' Popmart because they thought U2 were serious about the consumerism as opposed to ironic. U2 tested the audience during the 90's and went a little too far for many hence the half empty stadiums in the U.S. Much of the rest of the world loved it though you can see in the Mexico City concert when Bono is talking about "different colors" to the music that the audience wanted them to step back from that, which they ultimately did.

If this new album sells reasonably well they will probably want to stretch it a little though I don't think they will want to stretch it as far. I don't think Larry would allow them to. If you come out with an experimental album during a tour for the 'big' album you can get away with it but you will have to come out with another big album to not totally lose your audience. For example the record company forced U2 to not use their name for Passengers because they knew it wouldn't be a big hit album. The idea is to tease the audience without causing career suicide.

Thanks for explaining...

But I still don't really understand the Bubble Pants...

Back
Top Bottom