I "heart" A Year In Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for posting this. I watched it back when it originally aired, but I think my appreciation for POP was just starting to set in. And while Dennis Hopper's narration is nothing short of obnoxious, it's great to have some video document of U2 talking about the Passengers and POP.

At the time, I'm not sure I fully understood how pervasive pop and kitsch were going to become. "Pulp Fiction" and the swing and lounge revival seemed indie and cult, and while alternative-rock had pretty much become muscle-rock by 1997, I certainly didn't anticipate American Idol or the whole bad karaoke culture that has become modern music on television (award shows and all). Bono seems rather prophetic there, but then again, if you read all of the lyrics to POP, it's pretty clear that the decadence, sheen and plasticity is decaying his soul. It's a very heavy album, despite the suggestion of lightness in its title.

That being said, after seeing this video, it makes perfect sense why the band had to do a back-to-basics album after POP. Not even just to reel-in their alienated fanbase. But more because it was getting SO glam and glitter, so as to eclipse their simple talent. Too bad that next album was so boring. But I digress...

It's about irony. They thought the period was about consumerism so they made fun of that. ZOOTV was about 24hr news becoming entertainment and about getting your ideas from TV mainly as something we should be aware of. Americans didn't 'get' Popmart because they thought U2 were serious about the consumerism as opposed to ironic. U2 tested the audience during the 90's and went a little too far for many hence the half empty stadiums in the U.S. Much of the rest of the world loved it though you can see in the Mexico City concert when Bono is talking about "different colors" to the music that the audience wanted them to step back from that, which they ultimately did.

If this new album sells reasonably well they will probably want to stretch it a little though I don't think they will want to stretch it as far. I don't think Larry would allow them to. If you come out with an experimental album during a tour for the 'big' album you can get away with it but you will have to come out with another big album to not totally lose your audience. For example the record company forced U2 to not use their name for Passengers because they knew it wouldn't be a big hit album. The idea is to tease the audience without causing career suicide.

Great post. I, for one, am thankful that U2 decided to put out a more atmospheric and experimental album with this new one. I also love the Passengers, but am kinda glad they didn't put it out as a U2 album. I just like the vibe it has, exactly as is, from name to sleeve art to liner notes, and especially the songs themselves. Though some would argue that Radiohead's Kid A album both teased the audience and attempted career suicide. In the end, it succeeded fantastically, and is my favorite of theirs. I think a lot of people feel the same, no disrespect to Bends or OK Computer.

I watched this in my hotel at the Treasure Island that Saturday night after the show (Friday). I know U2 took a ton of crap from the media & some fans for the Popmart, but they took a chance many artist won't even consider. They wanted to outdo ZooTV which is pretty much impossible. The electricity/hype surrounding that show in Vegas was amazing.

I can't believe U2 had the guts to take the stage that night let alone carry a tour this ambitious.

Agreed. Terrible documentary. But the Passengers and POP sections were worth their weight in gold.

Or at least pyrite...

It comes off as a bit self-indulgent. It also has an infomercial feel to it, with Hopper cheesy narration and the hype of Popmart needing to top ZooTV. The band was stumbling in this period, no doubt.

Agreed. The first signs of a kink in the chain. But still, when Bono makes that comment, "Everything you said was true, except the discount prices"... he was up to his old Zoo TV era tricks. Completely brilliant and witty, quick on his toes, mysterious and hilarious. If the production of this video reeked of promotion shuck, we can be thankful that at least the music didn't. I consider POP one of their darkest albums, lyrically.

:heart: LOVE IT! it changed my life in a weird way. my bff and i were in a deep U2 faze at the time, we had never seen U2 but were gonna go to see them at RFK in DC, and that special only helped fuel our belief that we maaaay need to go to more than one show! :hug::drool::love:

I watched about a half-hour of this show and was bored out of my mind. I was shocked by my reaction and upset too. The way the band was presented in this show was boring, and the one thing I'd never thought U2 would ever be, was boring.

For a couple of years after that, I thought U2's best days were behind them. ATYCLB changed my mind about THAT, fast! And little did I know U2's best days would be...right now!!!

I used to have this on tape, but, like an idiot, I taped over a third of it (including a very nice performance of "Do You Feel Loved?") because I wanted to record the stupid Charlie Rose interview which wasted, like, 5 minutes on a crappy U2 montage. What a waste of lost footage.

Edit: Okay, after having not seen it in over a decade, I have to say that wasn't a very good performance of "Do You Feel Loved". It lost its dancey edge live, it seems. Still a great song on the album, though... the best.

Back
Top Bottom