I found my Bono interview Holy Grail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
I've asked about this before, but no one responded. I've searched high and low on YouTube to no avail. No one else seemed to know what I was talking about.

I remembered recording this interview back in 1997, but thought it was lost from my collection of old tapes.

Today, I dug deep into my attic vault and found the right VHS tape. This is the "MTV News Raw" version which has stuff originally edited out of the more streamlined interview, which took place sometime after the infamous PopMart tour press conference at K-Mart.

In short, here is the proof that Bono indeed sung a snippet of Backstreet's "No Diggity" on television in the presence of Kurt Loder. Mark it in the records under PopMart promo tour, Axver.

:hyper:

I'll try to upload the whole thing at some point.

LOL "No Diggity (snippet)". Add it to the archives, Ax!!

21 years later, Larry still barely tolerates anything Bono says or does.

In short, here is the proof that Bono indeed sung a snippet of Backstreet's "No Diggity" on television in the presence of Kurt Loder. Mark it in the records under PopMart promo tour, Axver.

Give me a location and date and no joke I'll do it.

The way you are banging on about this I was expecting something really awesome. It’s a half-second clip of him mumbling a line from a hip-hop hit. What’s the fucking big deal.

If only there were somebody who could expertly read into Larry's body language.

Hi.

We will pretend that's me.

I'm pretty sure when asked "so are you guys really party monster dance animals now," Larry's little tongue gesture indicated "like fuck we are."

It's abundantly obvious he doesn't like that shit.

I forgot how relatively young Bono still looked during Pop era. They seemed so old to 16 year old me at the time

The way you are banging on about this I was expecting something really awesome. It’s a half-second clip of him mumbling a line from a hip-hop hit. What’s the fucking big deal.

Jesus, you probably don't think "Rock and roll doggy!" is a great clip either.

It's that this segment starts in media res, like he's just been goofing around between segments. Also that he's leaning on the super-profesh Kurt Loder (who was like the only MTV host with credibility) while doing it. It's how he looks at the camera partway through, and then keeps mugging when he turns to Larry, and how he pops the "p" at the end of "...you got to bag it up".

This is Bono at his funniest, and if you can't see it I don't know what to tell you.

Jesus, you probably don't think "Rock and roll doggy!" is a great clip either.

Never heard of it.

It's that this segment starts in media res, like he's just been goofing around between segments. Also that he's leaning on the super-profesh Kurt Loder (who was like the only MTV host with credibility) while doing it. It's how he looks at the camera partway through, and then keeps mugging when he turns to Larry, and how he pops the "p" at the end of "...you got to bag it up".

This is Bono at his funniest, and if you can't see it I don't know what to tell you.

I mean it elicited a very small 'ha' out of me, it's nice to see, but the way you were going on about it I was expecting a bit more that :lol:

All that aside, though, Pop Bono is probably the coolest Bono.

I've asked about this before, but no one responded. I've searched high and low on YouTube to no avail. No one else seemed to know what I was talking about.

I remembered recording this interview back in 1997, but thought it was lost from my collection of old tapes.

Today, I dug deep into my attic vault and found the right VHS tape. This is the "MTV News Raw" version which has stuff originally edited out of the more streamlined interview, which took place sometime after the infamous PopMart tour press conference at K-Mart.

:hyper:

I'll try to upload the whole thing at some point.

I used to have this on VHS as well, I think MTV did one of their many U2 weekends to celebrate Pop/Popmart. I think this interview was about 15-20 minutes and really good.

That same VHS tape also had my own U2 interview Holy Grail, which was from Zoo TV. A couple of Polish guys won an MTV competition to go on stage to film the band during Even Better Than The Real Thing, something they proceeded to go and totally fuck up.

Good stuff, i really miss this era of u2. POPMART was my first u2 concert. I remember watching an MTV interview where Bono said something along the lines of "you can hang us for everything else but that..." not sure what the context was (a giant lemon, megalomania?) but i think it was from this interview. I'd do it all over again if i could. :heart:

Back
Top Bottom