I actually like "No line on the Horizon"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im new to this forum lol
I was checking because i dont really appreciate people hating this album
There are some future classics on the album such as moment of surrender great song especially live

No Line On The Horizon, Moment of Surrender, Breathe, Magnificent, Cedars of Lebanon. These are among some of their best songs ever written.

U2 are such good songwriters that I think they should more-or-less give up on trying to craft perfect albums. When they got the balance between craft and fresh inspiration just right (Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree), it paid to spend time on the record and make it as good as possible. But with Pop and No Line On The Horizon, I feel that the time spent trying to craft the exact sounds they wanted had the inverse effect of making the results sound labored and over-worked. I say, just work on a batch of songs until you have 10 or 11 great ones, record them quickly, and then just release them! Another bonus is that we might not have to wait 6 years between albums.

A fantastic studio album. Far better than its predecessor.

Somewhat underwhelming when played live, except for Breathe and Unknown Caller. Not as good live as its predecessor.

I love NLOTH. We'll have to see what happens with the next album, but I think NLOTH was U2 sort of testing the waters and halfway making an experimental album while being safe at the same time.

It's average. Some bells and whistles but no soul.

An example is Magnificent. Akin to Miracle Drug, it has potential but never developments into something special. A generally unrealized product with no staying power.

NLOTH, MOS, and COL are great, everything else falls flat.

best album since pop

This could be true if it had a legitimate single. I rank ATYCLB higher simply because of Beautiful Day. There's no go-to track on NLOTH and it suffers because of it.

To use an analogy:

Team ATYCLB:
Aaron Rodgers
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Matt Cassel

Team NLOTH:
Joe Flacco
Jay Cutler
Tony Romo

You gotta take the superstar

i love some of the songs on it, the beginning and the end, shame about the 4-song blip in the middle though

actually, much of the album is just too abstract for me, some of the themes leave me thinking wtf, like in Unknown Caller for example, sorry (and that wasn't even included in my 4-song blip!)

This could be true if it had a legitimate single. I rank ATYCLB higher simply because of Beautiful Day. There's no go-to track on NLOTH and it suffers because of it.

this would be true if i gave a shit about singles. in which case i wouldn't be a u2 fan if singles mattered to me. i don't listen to ATYCLB and don't even own a copy, same goes for HTDAAB. don't even want them for free.
if i offend any one by this, i apologize.

i also rank ATYCLB much much higher tbh, even Bomb actually (well a little bit)

at least ATYCLB had "human" themes that reach you... that's my biggest bugbear with NLOTH tbh, i don't know what the fuck it's saying

NLOTH is a great record, with some not very good pop songs in the middle of it (I am not against pop songs per se, but these were not good!)

Interesting bit of news with regard to NLOTH, it has sold more copies at present than Coldplays latest offering in the US, and is STILL to be beaten as the biggest selling "rock" album since, source=billboard,

so, was it really that much of a sales flop?

I don't think there's many here who "hate" the album. It even got many good press reviews, so the whole "hate" thing is just exaggerated.

Personally, I love it, it means a lot to me and I even liked most of the live versions they did and think it's a shame they took so many NLOTH songs out of the setlist as the tour moved on.

I really love most of the songs on NLOTH, maybe except Crazy and Boots, but I came to appreciate the live version of Boots very much, just not the "single" version ... "Crazy" is a very weak song, IMO. Contrary to many here, I also love Stand Up Comedy, it's a fun song, though it has some cringeworthy lyrics. All the other songs are great, some epic. White as snow is one of my favourite U2 songs ever, very moving, and hugely underappreciated.

No Line is indeed a great U2 album and one can just hope they do something similar for the next release (though, based on the band's comments, I doubt it very much).

If you think about it this is just like when pop came out and Bono and te band were putting it down lol but POP is a great album
Same story with No Line On The Horizon

I only put "Ho" by accident i forgot to press the w key on my iphone :p

It's alright, some good stuff on it. Some of it is a little weird, but I also thought Zooropa was too weird in the 90s- now it's one of my favorites. Maybe in 15 years NLOTH will be my favorite.
And I'm not ashamed to say I love Get on Your Boots. Love it.

Back
Top Bottom