How would you guys respond to my friend’s criticism of U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HBK-79

War Child
Hey guys. I have a co-worker who is a strong, outspoken critic of U2 and their work. He likes to condemn them whenever the opportunity arises. Recently, he sent me an IM fully explaining his deep-seated dislike toward the band.

Check it out. Here's what he had to say:

Musically speaking, there is nothing impressive or compelling about U2 to catch my attention. I'm not a person that listens to music for thoughtful lyrics. So that aspect is lost on me. From an instrumental perspective, there isn't any noteworthy or groundbreaking musicianship going on in their music. They could be any other Top 40 band that you hear on the radio, as far as I'm concerned. The reason why I make such a big issue about it is that I simply don't feel that their music is necessarily worthy of all the praise they get. Sometimes I think people give their music a bit of a pass because of Bono's humanitarian projects. I believe that people love Bono too much not to overrate U2. So it really bothers me when a band achieves more success than they deserve like that. Their popularity is just extremely annoying.

How would you guys respond to vitriol like that?

By the way- My co-worker is a self-professed metalhead and worships the deathcore band In Flames.

What's he basing this off of? ATYCLB? HTDAAB?

He needs to realize that albums like The Joshua Tree were alien back in their day. It's only recently that the copycats have capitalized on that sound.

Well, you say "ok".

Just adding to my comment, your friend seems to be the kind of person who doesn't like U2 cause it's famous. I know a few like him. Best answer is "ok". And if he asks "Then you agree with me?" you just say "no". Monosylabic words should solve the problem ;)

Some thoughts. None of which are meant to "flame" so to speak.

1. In Flames isn't "deathcore". They're a metal band, and they haven't put out a worthwhile album probably since the turn of the millennium (which some might posit could be said about U2, I suppose). Though quite a few of their albums are really awesome, calling them "deathcore" (whether that was your genre-tag or his) is not educated in the least.

2. I find that the majority of people who dislike U2 is because of Bono and his "ego" associated with his humanitarianism. If you don't like U2's music, that's fine by me. But it offends and appalls when people dislike them solely based on Bono. That's just stupid.

3. Don't let your co-worker's opinion matter to you. I know all of two or three (maybe four) people who actually LIKE U2 (none as much as I do), and a handful or two who can enjoy them. A lot of people I know really really like Coldplay (and other bands of questionable quality), and I tell those people why I think Coldplay aren't worth a damn.

If I felt compelled to respond I would simply write "That's nice" and leave it at that. You don't have to like what he likes and he doesn't have to like what you like. He's not the arbiter of all things musical, is he? :shrug:

First of all, in my experience metalheads are pretty narrow-minded when it comes to music.

Secondly, this part doesn't make sense.

Sometimes I think people give their music a bit of a pass because of Bono's humanitarian projects. I believe that people love Bono too much not to overrate U2. So it really bothers me when a band achieves more success than they deserve like that.

He does realize that U2 grew to great heights of popularity before Bono became the household name humanitarian, right? If he doesn't realize that, then just end the conversation, for he's an idiot.:wink:

People love Bono too much? :lol: Even in interference that isn't true. I think your friend needs to get out more often.

To truly appreciate U2's musicianship, you really have to understand The Edge's approach. It doesn't sound like he's capable.

I really don’t understand the obsessive hatred. Give them a little credit, they’ve got an impressive body of work.

Give him a hug and grab a pint. U2 or any other artist for that matter is such a non issue in the big scheme of life and or friendship

I wouldn't care.

But...

If you want to try to convince him of U2's diversity, try making a CD or mp3 file collection where you show how U2 have changed over the years. And don't focus just on the hits, because he's probably already heard them. A few hits are fine, but something like:

I Will Follow
Boy/Girl or Stories for Boys
Out of Control
Fire
Gloria
October
Tomorrow or A Celebration
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day (big hit, but good one to keep in)
Bad
A Sort of Homecoming
Streets
Red Hill Mining Town
Exit
Hawkmoon
All I Want... or When Love Comes to Town
Angel of Harlem (another big hit, but unique for U2)
Until the End...
Zoo Station
Love Is Blindness
The Fly
Numb
Zooropa
Lemon
Daddy's Gonna Pay... or Dirty Day
Mofo
Wake Up Dead Man
Miami
New York
Walk On
Love & Peace...
Fast Cars

This list has a few hits, but mostly album tracks that he probably doesn't know. That's good - he's probably basing his opinions on the big hits, which often aren't any artist's best work. This list also shows U2's huge range. While I listed these songs chronologically, I would even recommend mixing them up such that one moment he's being bombarded by "Exit" only to be followed by something eclectic like "Numb".

Now, you have to realize he may never listen to this. He may claim he did, but it could be a lie. Or he may loosely listen and not really pay attention. If his mind is set, it's set. I mean, no amount of music is going to suddenly make love Maria Carey. So he may just dismiss your attempts regardless of what you say or do.

But if he is willing to listen, he may appreciate hearing some of this. And while he may not suddenly be converted to a fan, he may have a better understanding of U2's overall career and their diversity. And that may be the best you can get.

Then there's the dream world where he realizes U2 are much more than "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo". Heck, he may even go back and re-explore old albums.

From my experience though, it's best to ignore these people. It's just something you disagree upon. :)

By the way- My co-worker is a self-professed metalhead and worships the deathcore band In Flames.

well, metal fans are first obviously fans of heavier music, and as someone who listens to some pretty hardcore stuff, I can tell you that U2's most rocking songs come nowhere close to being metal. Also, most metal fans are big on technical complexity, which is kind of the opposite of U2. So if he's only into metal, chances are he'll never appreciate U2.

as others have pointed out, the notion that U2 gets a pass because everyone loves Bono is ridiculous :lol: outspoken critics of U2 usually spend half their time attacking Bono

My guess is U2 just isn't his kind of music. You could do what doctorwho suggested, but who knows if he'd even be open to that.

I dunno, there are bands I feel this way about. i absolutely HATE Dave Matthews Band, his voice, and pretty much everything about them, and in my eyes they don't deserve their popularity. Any band is going to have critics, especially popular ones. In the end it usual comes down to taste :shrug:

I do have to say though, why does he think you care why he doesn't like U2? I don't go seeking out DMB fans to tell them why I hate their favourite band :huh:

I know it's his opinion and I shouldn't be all uptight about it. I just wanted to show how ignorant some U2 haters are with their remarks.

Sorry for the "deathcore" reference. That's what he calls them. As LemonMelon pointed out, there are a zillion subgenres under metal. How am I supposed to decide which one that X band falls under?:shrug:

AtomicBono said:
I do have to say though, why does he think you care why he doesn't like U2?

I asked him: "Why do you hate U2 so much?" I was just curious b/c he makes fun of my Bono-esque leather jacket.

I would really ask him what he is basing this opinion on. Then showcase the music U2 have written in the context of the time period. I find it very hard to realize songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years, Bad, Sort of A Homecoming were written before 1985. Those songs have really stood the test of time and sound like nothing from that era.

Then state when hair bands ruled the late 80's U2 were writing the JT & R&H. When grunge hit the scene AB & Zooropa were being produced by U2. U2 have been beating their own drum for pretty much their entire career while making some unique songs. Give him a sample disc of:

Rejoice
Exit
God Part II
Lemon
Mofo
Gone
Velvet Dress
Hold Me Thrill Me..
One Step Closer
Get Your Boots On

And ask him to find how this sounds like Top 40. :huh:

Yeah, my friend did this with me........I used to say I didn't like u2 much (I think cos of Bono and his ego - don't hit me *hides*) so he was like, 'well, have you even heard them properly then?'

Then he let me borrow his Joshua Tree cd, followed by rattle and hum, followed by pop and a few others........once I actually heard the music, I understood the band much better and actually found myself liking the music much more than I thought I would. just had to give it a chance.:D I mean, look at me now, on a u2 forum hehe and loving the new single. Who knew!!:D

Or if all else fails........I go with the kick him in the nuts option :D

Tell him to go listen to Britney Spears and other MTV bands.

That's what kids tell me when I say I don't like Metallica and Aerosmith. Then I go listen to Andrew Bird and My Bloody Valentine.

Say this: "Hold on, you're insulting U2 when you listen to fucking In Flames?" Then just laugh at him. Laugh and laugh. Then go back to your computer and play Mofo (preferably the live version) while continuing to laugh.

U2's musicianship, or just music if you don't want to go there, is actually quite subtle. The do a lot with very little, and sometimes after just a listen or two, an impartial listener might not hear too much going on.

My wife's spent 16 years studying music at a high level, and she doesn't pay the lyrics any attention either. But she absolutely loves how all the different components of U2's songs meld together. They intertwine some ostensibly simple pieces of bass, drum, guitar and vocals into a remarkable lattice, and she's always enthralled by the songs where they really pull that off. Her favorites are Sunday Bloody Sunday and Kite.

But being a metal head, he might not be interested in subtleties. Give him a copy of War, or make a mix tape where you throw some of their 'harder' songs together. Sunday, New Years, MoFo, Until the End of the World, Daddy's Gonna, Exit, Red Hill, etc.

You can remind him that U2 have been around for a long time, and were always an 'underground' band until their following grew so large it just seemed like they were always public darlings. That they're a cult band, just with an enormous cult behind them.

That Bono was this scrappy kid who'd sleep on his friends' floors, give you the shirt off his back, and was a sort of rebellious, earnest, under-the-radar icon. He still is, but his ambitions grew over the years to the point where instead of just promoting Amnesty International, Greenpeace, and working in Africa for weeks with his wife, he's now also lobbying whole governments for billions to help the world's needy. He knowingly sacrificed any 'underground cred' he had to do bigger work, and that it irks us fans when we hear he's sold out, or become annoying, or whatever.

And if still doesn't 'get it', then nevermind... everyone has their tastes, and it could be he just doesn't like U2's music. It happens.

It's just annoying when people confuse "don't like" with "isn't good".

Last edited:
Hey guys. I have a co-worker who is a strong, outspoken critic of U2 and their work. He likes to condemn them whenever the opportunity arises. Recently, he sent me an IM fully explaining his deep-seated dislike toward the band.

Check it out. Here's what he had to say:

How would you guys respond to vitriol like that?

I would tell him to look at other U2 naysayers and see how thier careers have gone.(See Henry Rollins and Chumbawumba).:hyper:

While you make think he's wrong, and I do to, there's no use in trying to argue with him.

A death-metal dude is not going to get U2, the same way I don't get death-metal.

It's all good, see?
:love:

Back
Top Bottom