How would you guys respond to my friend’s criticism of U2? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 11:25 AM
How would you guys respond to my friend’s criticism of U2?

Hey guys. I have a co-worker who is a strong, outspoken critic of U2 and their work. He likes to condemn them whenever the opportunity arises. Recently, he sent me an IM fully explaining his deep-seated dislike toward the band.

Check it out. Here's what he had to say:

Quote:
Musically speaking, there is nothing impressive or compelling about U2 to catch my attention. I'm not a person that listens to music for thoughtful lyrics. So that aspect is lost on me. From an instrumental perspective, there isn't any noteworthy or groundbreaking musicianship going on in their music. They could be any other Top 40 band that you hear on the radio, as far as I'm concerned. The reason why I make such a big issue about it is that I simply don't feel that their music is necessarily worthy of all the praise they get. Sometimes I think people give their music a bit of a pass because of Bono's humanitarian projects. I believe that people love Bono too much not to overrate U2. So it really bothers me when a band achieves more success than they deserve like that. Their popularity is just extremely annoying.

How would you guys respond to vitriol like that?

By the way- My co-worker is a self-professed metalhead and worships the deathcore band In Flames.

HBK-79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:25 AM
kick him in the nuts [/thread]

elevated_u2_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
The Male

Local Time: 07:25 AM
What's he basing this off of? ATYCLB? HTDAAB?

He needs to realize that albums like The Joshua Tree were alien back in their day. It's only recently that the copycats have capitalized on that sound.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:25 AM
Ignore it. It's his opinion, and it's different than yours. Agree to disagree.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

also, what.the.fuck is "deathcore"?
Old 02-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
also, what.the.fuck is "deathcore"?
Hardcore with emphasis on morbid lyricism, I suppose.

Thanks to Axver, I know of about 45 different subgenres under the umbrella of "metal". Blackened goregrind
Old 02-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:25 PM
Well, you say "ok".

Just adding to my comment, your friend seems to be the kind of person who doesn't like U2 cause it's famous. I know a few like him. Best answer is "ok". And if he asks "Then you agree with me?" you just say "no". Monosylabic words should solve the problem
MMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
War Child

Some thoughts. None of which are meant to "flame" so to speak.

1. In Flames isn't "deathcore". They're a metal band, and they haven't put out a worthwhile album probably since the turn of the millennium (which some might posit could be said about U2, I suppose). Though quite a few of their albums are really awesome, calling them "deathcore" (whether that was your genre-tag or his) is not educated in the least.

2. I find that the majority of people who dislike U2 is because of Bono and his "ego" associated with his humanitarianism. If you don't like U2's music, that's fine by me. But it offends and appalls when people dislike them solely based on Bono. That's just stupid.

3. Don't let your co-worker's opinion matter to you. I know all of two or three (maybe four) people who actually LIKE U2 (none as much as I do), and a handful or two who can enjoy them. A lot of people I know really really like Coldplay (and other bands of questionable quality), and I tell those people why I think Coldplay aren't worth a damn.
pacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

If I felt compelled to respond I would simply write "That's nice" and leave it at that. You don't have to like what he likes and he doesn't have to like what you like. He's not the arbiter of all things musical, is he?
indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:MrMacPhisto:. View Post
Well, you say "ok".
Or maybe - Please, stop tormenting me!
alanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

First of all, in my experience metalheads are pretty narrow-minded when it comes to music.

Secondly, this part doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Sometimes I think people give their music a bit of a pass because of Bono's humanitarian projects. I believe that people love Bono too much not to overrate U2. So it really bothers me when a band achieves more success than they deserve like that.
He does realize that U2 grew to great heights of popularity before Bono became the household name humanitarian, right? If he doesn't realize that, then just end the conversation, for he's an idiot.

People love Bono too much? Even in interference that isn't true. I think your friend needs to get out more often.
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
War Child

To truly appreciate U2's musicianship, you really have to understand The Edge's approach. It doesn't sound like he's capable.
LPU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #13
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
He's not the arbiter of all things musical, is he?
Of course not. He doesn't post on Interference.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 04:25 PM
I honestly wouldn't give a toss what he thinks. Who cares?
Ellay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #15
The Fly

I really don’t understand the obsessive hatred. Give them a little credit, they’ve got an impressive body of work.
Brian-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK-79 View Post
By the way- My co-worker is a self-professed metalhead and worships the deathcore band In Flames.
I'm sorry.
U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:25 PM
Give him a hug and grab a pint. U2 or any other artist for that matter is such a non issue in the big scheme of life and or friendship
zwervers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I wouldn't care.

But...

If you want to try to convince him of U2's diversity, try making a CD or mp3 file collection where you show how U2 have changed over the years. And don't focus just on the hits, because he's probably already heard them. A few hits are fine, but something like:

I Will Follow
Boy/Girl or Stories for Boys
Out of Control
Fire
Gloria
October
Tomorrow or A Celebration
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day (big hit, but good one to keep in)
Bad
A Sort of Homecoming
Streets
Red Hill Mining Town
Exit
Hawkmoon
All I Want... or When Love Comes to Town
Angel of Harlem (another big hit, but unique for U2)
Until the End...
Zoo Station
Love Is Blindness
The Fly
Numb
Zooropa
Lemon
Daddy's Gonna Pay... or Dirty Day
Mofo
Wake Up Dead Man
Miami
New York
Walk On
Love & Peace...
Fast Cars

This list has a few hits, but mostly album tracks that he probably doesn't know. That's good - he's probably basing his opinions on the big hits, which often aren't any artist's best work. This list also shows U2's huge range. While I listed these songs chronologically, I would even recommend mixing them up such that one moment he's being bombarded by "Exit" only to be followed by something eclectic like "Numb".

Now, you have to realize he may never listen to this. He may claim he did, but it could be a lie. Or he may loosely listen and not really pay attention. If his mind is set, it's set. I mean, no amount of music is going to suddenly make love Maria Carey. So he may just dismiss your attempts regardless of what you say or do.

But if he is willing to listen, he may appreciate hearing some of this. And while he may not suddenly be converted to a fan, he may have a better understanding of U2's overall career and their diversity. And that may be the best you can get.

Then there's the dream world where he realizes U2 are much more than "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo". Heck, he may even go back and re-explore old albums.

From my experience though, it's best to ignore these people. It's just something you disagree upon.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

... or kick him in the nuts
Old 02-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK-79 View Post
well, metal fans are first obviously fans of heavier music, and as someone who listens to some pretty hardcore stuff, I can tell you that U2's most rocking songs come nowhere close to being metal. Also, most metal fans are big on technical complexity, which is kind of the opposite of U2. So if he's only into metal, chances are he'll never appreciate U2.

as others have pointed out, the notion that U2 gets a pass because everyone loves Bono is ridiculous outspoken critics of U2 usually spend half their time attacking Bono

My guess is U2 just isn't his kind of music. You could do what doctorwho suggested, but who knows if he'd even be open to that.

I dunno, there are bands I feel this way about. i absolutely HATE Dave Matthews Band, his voice, and pretty much everything about them, and in my eyes they don't deserve their popularity. Any band is going to have critics, especially popular ones. In the end it usual comes down to taste

I do have to say though, why does he think you care why he doesn't like U2? I don't go seeking out DMB fans to tell them why I hate their favourite band

AtomicBono is offline   Reply With Quote