How would you guys respond to my friend’s criticism of U2? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #81
The Fly

Local Time: 01:43 PM
There are very few artists of today that can move me the way U2 does. Whenever I feel a little down, I always listen to "Walk On". "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own" also moves me emotionally. I even have "Vertigo" and "I Will Follow" in my aerobics music. Those songs really get the old ticker pumping in the morning (sweating while listening to the rhythm section).

I can't get with these weird music people of today...no one sings/writes from the heart anymore. It's all "pump this, drop that, lick this, can I hit it from the back, etc etc". I'm not into the Jonas Bros/Miley/Taylor crowd either . I like my old school R&B (Luther, LTD, Stevie, Gladys) 80s British (Phil Collins, Sting, Queen, Culture Club, Wham), and of course U2.

Give me Bono and the boys, and artists from my favorite genres any day of the week .

Tell your friend .

Turn up the AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #82
War Child

Any of this working for you HBK-79?!

johndarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #83
War Child

Local Time: 02:43 PM
Rebuttal

Hey guys. Thanks for all your responses. I took all of your opinions and summarized them to my friend. I made the following points:

1) U2's musicianship consists of simple pieces of musical composition woven into a well-crafted "lattice" for the right feel.

2) U2 has a diverse catalogue of material spanning several decades, in which they made very unique music that went against the norms of a given time period

My co-worker emailed me back with the following rebuttal:

1) U2's musicianship consists of simple pieces of musical composition woven into a well-crafted "lattice" for the right feel.

Quote:
Their take on U2's musical approach is a sheer matter of opinion, just like the opinion I stated when I said that there was nothing in their musicianship that impressed me. If combining simplistic musical structures from all the different instruments is what U2 fans like, that is fine. It isn't what I like.
2) U2 has a diverse catalogue of material spanning several decades, in which they made very unique music that went against the norms of a given time period

Quote:
Appeal to numbers, argument to antiquity. The number of people who still like U2 does not make them a good band in my opinion. U2 made different music than other groups in the late '80s and early 90s? Good for them, but so did a lot of other bands. What impact should the history of a band have on one's appraisal of their work?

I am not about to download a bunch of songs from a band that I don't like. I have heard older songs from U2 because it's hard to avoid, just like I have heard their newer songs. I stand by my evaluation that U2 is overrated and is not a band that I personally find compelling.

I think it's interesting that your fellow U2 fans feel that there needs to be some sort of logical, historical process that one must utilize to determine if they like a band or not. Appreciation of music is subjective, so most of their arguments are wasted. History, building a "lattice" of simple songwriting, standing out in the 80s (in a sea of terrible music, I might add). All of these things are not part of my personal criteria for good music.

This is why people shouldn't debate about what good music is, because there is no standard set of criteria that everyone can agree to.
By the way- Here's candid pic of my friend:

HBK-79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:03 AM   #84
War Child

Local Time: 02:43 AM
it's really easy to judge any music on the surface.. sometimes certain music isn't for everyone.. good thing about most good bands is there will usually be atleast one song he or she will like.. U2 should be no different.

In the end he is entitled to his own opinion or expression.. but so are you, U2 redifined Rock Pop they never have professed to being the most skilled band in the world, just the biggest!
LuvandPeace1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:13 AM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK-79 View Post
It sort of looks like he's about to death growl.
The Sad Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:31 AM   #86
War Child

He keeps saying the same thing: that it IS just his (humble) opinion. I don't hear him saying he is in a position to judge and/or that he is properly 'qualified' to assess the situation in any way shape or form.

Which is kinda the point in my view and what so few people on this forum and in LIFE seem to understand.

I think the question is rather why are YOU trying so hard to change him? Why do you care what he thinks? Isn't how YOU feel (about U2) more important?

Enjoy your life and be happy!
johndarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #87
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 08:43 PM
Dude, why do you even bother?

Do you feel the need to convert your friend into U2 fandom? C'mon we're not friggin' Oasis fans now are we?

Let him like his own music and keep your taste for yourself. If he doesn't like U2, fine. Don't try to force your taste on him.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #88
The Fly

Your co-worker said he is not a person that listens to music for thoughtful lyrics.

Maybe that explains it!
IrishABLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #89
Blue Crack Distributor

He's acknowledging that it's all his opinion, and he doesn't seem to be being obnoxious about it. I'd agree with him that he's entitled to his opinion, and let it go.
VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #90
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:43 PM
I have always felt from the get go that U2 are a Marmite band, you love them or you hate them!

I have someone at work who winds me up chronically about my love of U2, in particular my love of Bono . He is exactly the same as I am with U2 over Queen. I can see what he likes about them, but I (at the moment) just don't FEEL what he feels about them. So I can understand he doesn't FEEL that way about the loves of my life.

He took me to a Queen & PR Concert last year, and I "got it" a bit more, and I am hopeing that when he comes to his first U2 concert this year with me, he "Get's it" too.

Besides, in all honesty, I have fun taking the piss out of his love of Queen - Freddie, and I am pretty sure he is getting the same kick taking the piss out of U2 & Bono with all his Bejaysus, top of the morning comments.

If Not........................He MUST die

At the end of the day, it would be a very sad/shallow almost lemming world, if we all felt the same way.

My advice is if it get's to you, screw him, is it your fault he has no taste?
Anji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #91
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:43 PM
yeah, its not your fault if the guy has no taste is it?
Dani California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #92
Blue Crack Supplier

why didn't you kick him in the nuts??
elevated_u2_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #93
Refugee

Don't worry about it that much. If he keeps on bugging you, just tell him to shut the f@*k up. If he doesn't, kick his ass!

The first few years of my studies, I always went to this squatter house in Leiden to hang out see bands and drink beer. One day, I was wearing a U2 shirt, and you must know that many punks see U2 as capitalist traiters. (But that seemed hypocrite to me, since some people there wore Disney and Efteling shirts, but that's their choice!)

This girl Denise, an Irish girl originally from Belfast, came up to me and she started about how hypocrite U2 are, that they only want to fight poverty and AIDS in Africa only to sell their records and that they should shut up about the troubles in Northern Ireland, because they are from Dublin, how do they know? and so on. I told her that it was only her opinion and I didn't bother much about it. After all she was from Belfast and I thought she had some sort of war trauma...
But everytime I went to the parties in the squatter house she came up to me and told me that if she ever saw Bono, she was going to beat him up and she kept on raving about how much she hated U2! I just told her to shut the f@*k up and that she must have a huge crush on me that she wanted my attention! A few weeks later I went to a pub with my friends. Denise was there too with her boyfriend and she had been drinking a lot. One of my friends just came back from Ireland and she told me about her holiday. Then Denise came up to us and said that everybody who talked shit about her country, she was going to kick their ass. She kept on giving us evil looks and I stared back at her. Then she came up to me and said that I'd better kill myself for being a U2 fan. And if I didn't she was going to kick my ass so badly. Well, now that's a thing you don't say to people, especially not to me. I can't remember what I said to her, but I'm sure it wasn't very nice and I'm really good at pissing off people whenever they deserve it. So there we were standing there, face to face, yelling at each other, waiting for the other one to strike the first blow...
It all ended with Denises boyfriend literally dragging her out of the pub because we almost got into a nasty bar fight.

The next day I went to class. Denises boyfriend had a class in the same building and came up to me saying he was sorry and that he was so ashamed of his girlfriend. He just broke up with her because she was such a bitch, hahaha!
Bonoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I can't believe this thread is still alive. Give your friend a purple nurple and call it a day.
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #95
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
I can't believe this thread is still alive. Give your friend a purple nurple and call it a day.
But you still read all the responses, did you?

Bonoa is offline   Reply With Quote