How would you feel if Larry or Adam needed a fill in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If someone has to miss a show, reschedule it. They should have done that in 1993. U2 without a member isn't really U2. Or they could just be like Yes and hire a new singer when Bono's next in the hospital...but I think U2 are a bit less callous than that.

If someone has to miss a show, reschedule it. They should have done that in 1993. U2 without a member isn't really U2. Or they could just be like Yes and hire a new singer when Bono's next in the hospital...but I think U2 are a bit less callous than that.

The 1993 show wasn't rescheduled because it was needed as a rehearsal for the next night's recorded show.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I find an interesting question with long-term bands is: at what point of member attrition/replacement does it stop being "that band"?

In other words, if Larry was replaced by Barney Rubble on skins, would it still be right to call the band "U2"? Then, if Adam was replaced by Naomi Campbell on bass, would it still be "U2" (with only 2 original members)?

One of the crazy aspects of U2's first big-money deal with Island Records (back in 1984) was that if any member of the band left, the remaining band would still get 75% of that deal with Island. That is, if Bono had quit before The Unforgettable Fire tour and been replaced with Bon Scott's corpse, they still would have got 75% of the money from the label.

Not sent from my ass crack.

In other words, if Larry was replaced by Barney Rubble on skins

if Adam was replaced by Naomi Campbell on bass

if Bono had been replaced with Bon Scott's corpse

Hold up lemme get this straight...*this* wasnt actually sent from the crack of your arse? Dear god, I'd hate to see what would be..

Sent from my ass crack

Hold up lemme get this straight...*this* wasnt actually sent from the crack of your arse? Dear god, I'd hate to see what would be..

Sent from my ass crack
Everyone else doesn't send their posts from their ass crack. Does that mean we aren't relevant enough? :D

looks-like-i-picked-the-wrong-week-to-quit-amphetamines.jpg

I find an interesting question with long-term bands is: at what point of member attrition/replacement does it stop being "that band"?

In other words, if Larry was replaced by Barney Rubble on skins, would it still be right to call the band "U2"? Then, if Adam was replaced by Naomi Campbell on bass, would it still be "U2" (with only 2 original members)?

One of the crazy aspects of U2's first big-money deal with Island Records (back in 1984) was that if any member of the band left, the remaining band would still get 75% of that deal with Island. That is, if Bono had quit before The Unforgettable Fire tour and been replaced with Bon Scott's corpse, they still would have got 75% of the money from the label.

Well, The Who insist on going by the same name even when 50% of the band is dead and only Townshend/Daltrey are still around.

Extreme case of course being Guns and Roses with Axl being the only member of the original lineup.

On the other hand, AC/DC and Genesis got a new singer and remained a popular band so...

It would have to be a 'high end' fill in like Dave Grohol

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Honestly, even if it is for one show, U2 are the kind of band with a chemistry that shows during any performance. Without 1 or 2 members I can't imagine the same live passion being put forth. It doesn't matter if a fill in is as good of a musician or even a better musician, nothing could quite replicate the bond U2 have on stage.

Considering that the majority of fans at a show would be 51%, yes... I think a "majority" could name all 4 band members, at the very least by first name. They've been around long enough and have been popular enough to be in that territory.

I don't know why some of you think "majority" means 85-95%. Perhaps you were shitty math students. I don't know.

As for the band going on without a member? As was said earlier... A one time thing where a tech has to fill in due to last second illness or injury when the crowd is already filling in? Sure. Similar to the Adam scenario, I think they'd do it.

Long term? Nah. They're not U2 at that point, and I don't think they'd ever continue long term without any one of them. Not at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom