How would the '2 have honoured Lou Reed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
When U2 is on tour, they often snippet other artists' songs in their own. Perhaps as an intro, or a detour during the song, or as part of a coda.

The band, along with the other 30,000 people who brought Velvet Underground & Nico, have cited Lou Reed as an influence. They have, on numerous occasions, snippeted or covered Lou Reed or Velvet Underground songs.

Lou Reed passed away recently. When important figures pass away, Bono usually finds a way to pay tribute to them; for example, he sung a few bars of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's (who, yes, I have been out drinking with, not sure why you'd ask that, but I digress) Jungleland as a tribute to Clarence Clemons, a long-time member of the E Street Band.

So, I ask you EYKIW, how would the band have honoured Lou Reed if they were on tour right now? Cover? Snippet? Both?

Jovially mention Lulu?

Sweet Jane?

Perfect Day (snippet) / Bad / Walk on the Wild Side (snippet) / Waiting for My Man (snippet)?

We know it won't be Satellite of Love, because why would U2 play their own song as a tribute to Lou Reed?

Discuss.

Larry to take centre stage to re-enact Lou Reed's 1974 Australian interview before throwing his drum kit into the crowd for no related reason.

I'm sure that there will be a tribute concert or album put together in the near future, and that U2 will make some kind of contribution to that. OR their cover of satellite of love will be lazily tagged onto the tribute album.

I expect a bunch of snippets early in the tour next year, as happened with Michael Jackson.

Probably this will ignite the reunion of Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch and Bono will join them on the re-recording of their song Wild Side.

When U2 is on tour, they often snippet other artists' songs in their own. Perhaps as an intro, or a detour during the song, or as part of a coda.

The band, along with the other 30,000 people who brought Velvet Underground & Nico, have cited Lou Reed as an influence. They have, on numerous occasions, snippeted or covered Lou Reed or Velvet Underground songs.

Lou Reed passed away recently. When important figures pass away, Bono usually finds a way to pay tribute to them; for example, he sung a few bars of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's (who, yes, I have been out drinking with, not sure why you'd ask that, but I digress) Jungleland as a tribute to Clarence Clemons, a long-time member of the E Street Band.

So, I ask you EYKIW, how would the band have honoured Lou Reed if they were on tour right now? Cover? Snippet? Both?

Jovially mention Lulu?

Sweet Jane?

Perfect Day (snippet) / Bad / Walk on the Wild Side (snippet) / Waiting for My Man (snippet)?

We know it won't be Satellite of Love, because why would U2 play their own song as a tribute to Lou Reed?

Discuss.

I read through all 10 pages of that amazing thread. Thank you.

"of the Velvet's 1972 album Transformer"

Oh U2.com, never change.

I think it would be kind of poignant if they dug up the pre-recorded video of Lou they used when "Satellite Of Love" was a regular in the ZooTV setlist, and use it again to do the same thing on the next tour. Include the song in set, in duet-form, as a tribute.

^ or just put up on U2.com the original film of Lou singing that song with no instrumentation. I bet that would be great.

Back
Top Bottom