How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb 10th Anniversary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shit, ten years already? Sometimes it feels like 15 or 20. :wink: I dug the album then and I still dig it. City and Crumbs are my favorites. Saw them twice on the Vertigo tour. Then wrapped it all up with U23D.

The falsetto section is the only part of the song I like. If only he sang the entire song that way. Would've been one freaky ass song.

2004/05, U2 got heaped with an avalanche of praise for a middling record by a middle-aged band who had taken too many trips to the same well, and were fast running out of ideas. I'll remember that era as being full of bluster but very little genuine inspiration. While the ATYCLB era had been organic and not so in-your-face, the Bomb era was when they became rock star caricatures, and to a certain degree they still haven't been able to shake that off.

Given the similarities between the two it's interesting ATYCLB gets so much love and HTDAAB gets so much hate.

The latter being better, if nothing else, for not sinking halfway unlike it's predecessor. And unlike the other albums since 2000, it actually lets Edge loose, even if it is mostly chimes and cliche riffs.

Given the similarities between the two it's interesting ATYCLB gets so much love and HTDAAB gets so much hate.

The latter being better, if nothing else, for not sinking halfway unlike it's predecessor. And unlike the other albums since 2000, it actually lets Edge loose, even if it is mostly chimes and cliche riffs.

Finally someone whose opinion I can share about ATYCLB in comparison to the Bomb. Bomb has shitty mastering and poor production on some songs (Crumbs, Yahweh, All Because of You, One Step) and problematic cohesion as an album, but those songs are pretty strong. Meanwhile ATYCLB is only focused to please the widest range of public as possible, it´s produced and arranged like by radio friendly generator, it has no balls, it´s like a doggie on a leach :)

This is a great album. I don't get the hate for it here, but to each his own. Vertigo, AMAAW, the second half or Miracle Drug...

Although, I've honestly never listened to One Step Closer all the way through. I've heard maybe 20 seconds and it just does nothing for me.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This is a great album. I don't get the hate for it here, but to each his own. Vertigo, AMAAW, the second half or Miracle Drug...

Although, I've honestly never listened to One Step Closer all the way through. I've heard maybe 20 seconds and it just does nothing for me.

20 seconds? Try the whole song and then decide. It is actually quite a beautiful piece.

One Step Closer is my least favorite on the album, but I can sit through it. I find Grace to be completely unlistenable.

What is with the lack of love for Love and Peace or Else?

Granted the title could use a bit of work but the guitar in the song is killer and the end solo is awesome. The lyrics are not too bad either.

When I first heard this song it blew me away. Granted it has lost some luster with me over the years but its still a kick ass song.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

What is with the lack of love for Love and Peace or Else?

Granted the title could use a bit of work but the guitar in the song is killer and the end solo is awesome. The lyrics are not too bad either.

When I first heard this song it blew me away. Granted it has lost some luster with me over the years but its still a kick ass song.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

It´s the messiah complex lyrics in the verses that kills it for me

I remember getting my dad to get it me before he went to work then he dropped it off at my work in my lunch hour. I listened to it then all afternoon

I like the album alot.

I actually hate the live version of LAPOE mostly because I hated the whole political section during the Vertigo Tour.
The segue between SBS-Bullet was sick. But the actual songs....Bullet was the weakest it's ever been on that tour and the solo was cringeworthy. SBS was just annoying and I personally don't like it when powerful songs lose their meanings. Adaptive meanings to current events is fine, but it was way over the top with that whole coexist crap which is the same reason I didn't like LAPOE. I know that opinion will offend some people, but I don't really care. I really hate coexist and having to see that crap at a U2 concert, c'mon. People want to see some angry political songs with intensity. Not some little crap about world peace. It took a massive sh*t all over their political sets in previous tours.
However, I loved that they played Running To Stand Still, which is possibly their best song ever. But then they dropped it for that never ending snore fest of Miss Sarajevo. Ugh. It's good for like 20 seconds and Bono gets to show off his voice. That's it. The album version is so much better and it's not even close (except for Bono's Pavarotti note). The original lyrics were also way better and it needed more orchestra live.
Then Pride (nothing special), a super weak version of Streets, Bono speech/rambling and then One (for the 10 billionth time).
The rest of the show besides that stretch were phenomenal on the tour, though. Loved the playlist diversity, especially.

I'm guessing my opinions on this era aren't very popular around here; and not just my views on live material, but also studio material.
I think Original of The Species and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own are among their best of the last 15 years. I love Vertigo, Mercy, One Step Closer and Windows In The Skies, and I really like All Because Of You and Yahweh.
Meanwhile, I think Electrical Storm is great until that God awful duck quacking sound. Seriously, wtf were they on to make them think that actually made the song better? COBL is a very good song, but I think it doesn't fully capture its potential and never really takes off live.
There are some other good songs from this era as well. A Man and A Woman, Fast Cars (Jack Knife Mix), and Smile are among many solid contributions to U2's catalogue.
However, this era isn't very experimental and lacked the magic of the Elevation era, so it's really hard to judge this period of their career.

Good album, great tour.

It is interesting that U2, in particular Bono, were really struggling with how the lighting would work on LAPOE for the DVD in Chicago. Worked on it for a good hour and Bono became very lighthearted (which is not typical of him in this situation). It worked into a bunch of joking around and new material while they were waiting for the lighting crew to work things out. Some great jams and songs as a result. Bono felt that the normal lighting from the tour did not create the "drama" the song needed for the DVD.

Just a little tidbit, the LAPOE discussion jogged my memory of that. Sorry about the ramble. :)

I actually really like A Man and a Woman. Its a bit underrated and I love that Bono borrowed a Neil Diamond lyric for the song.

LAPOE is probably my least favorite on the album. Trying too hard IMO. AMAAW is severely underrated.

I actually hate the live version of LAPOE mostly because I hated the whole political section during the Vertigo Tour.
The segue between SBS-Bullet was sick. But the actual songs....Bullet was the weakest it's ever been on that tour and the solo was cringeworthy. SBS was just annoying and I personally don't like it when powerful songs lose their meanings. Adaptive meanings to current events is fine, but it was way over the top with that whole coexist crap which is the same reason I didn't like LAPOE. I know that opinion will offend some people, but I don't really care. I really hate coexist and having to see that crap at a U2 concert, c'mon. People want to see some angry political songs with intensity. Not some little crap about world peace. It took a massive sh*t all over their political sets in previous tours.
However, I loved that they played Running To Stand Still, which is possibly their best song ever. But then they dropped it for that never ending snore fest of Miss Sarajevo. Ugh. It's good for like 20 seconds and Bono gets to show off his voice. That's it. The album version is so much better and it's not even close (except for Bono's Pavarotti note). The original lyrics were also way better and it needed more orchestra live.
Then Pride (nothing special), a super weak version of Streets, Bono speech/rambling and then One (for the 10 billionth time).
The rest of the show besides that stretch were phenomenal on the tour, though. Loved the playlist diversity, especially.

I'm guessing my opinions on this era aren't very popular around here; and not just my views on live material, but also studio material.
I think Original of The Species and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own are among their best of the last 15 years. I love Vertigo, Mercy, One Step Closer and Windows In The Skies, and I really like All Because Of You and Yahweh.
Meanwhile, I think Electrical Storm is great until that God awful duck quacking sound. Seriously, wtf were they on to make them think that actually made the song better? COBL is a very good song, but I think it doesn't fully capture its potential and never really takes off live.
There are some other good songs from this era as well. A Man and A Woman, Fast Cars (Jack Knife Mix), and Smile are among many solid contributions to U2's catalogue.
However, this era isn't very experimental and lacked the magic of the Elevation era, so it's really hard to judge this period of their career.

I agree with almost all of this!

Your opinions on this era may be a bit unpopular on this board, but I don't think it's to the level some claim. I know one thing for sure, among the U2 fanbase as a whole and among the general public, it's certainly not an unpopular or uncommon take.

HTDAAB is a much, much better album than it gets credit for here. You're quite right, it wasn't very experimental and it seemed to kind of rest on the laurels of the Elevation era without creating any additional magic. However, songs like Vertigo, City, Sometimes, Original, etc speak for themselves.

As for the tour, I couldn't agree more. The political set saw the worst performances of Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet, Streets and One ever done by the band and the videos and talks by Bono got old. I did think that LAPOE was spectacular on the album and was pretty good live, but suffered, as you said, from the way it was presented in the set. The rest of the set was excellent- all of the tunes from Boy, Running To Standstill, the Zoo TV encore, full electric Wild Horses in Boston on Leg 1, the list goes on.

Also, great call on Window In The Skies. :up::up:

Looking back, that song is better than so much of NLOTH.

I always liked U2, as my Mom and Aunt were Boston diehards from way back in 1980 (that famous Paradise show).

I had a heightened awareness with ATYCLB and even more so with the 2002 Super Bowl halftime performance. However, it wasn't until the release of HTDAAB that I truly became a diehard.

It was just so different from anything on the radio at the time. So vital. It gets all the shit it gets here- but my mind was blown hearing the album... the soaring, passionate vocals of Sometimes, the riffs of Vertigo, ABOY and LAPOE and the soul of AMAAW. The uplifting magic of COBL, the prayer of Yahweh, the innocence of Original... could go on.

Of course, I still have the same feelings for it, but they're tempered by the fact that I have discovered the back catalog since and with that, all of the songs that do what this album does only better. (11 O' Clock Tick Tock is a better rocker, ASOH and In God's Country better anthems, 40 a better contemplative piece, etc). Still, that is NO KNOCK OR ANYTHING AGAINST HTDAAB. Like all U2 albums, it is it's own thing entirely and has some unique, incomparable flashes of brilliance. Sometimes and COBL (studio) can stand up with the best of U2 songs and make their case.

Back
Top Bottom