How on earth was the Acthung Baby the beginning of U2's downward spiral?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizkitgto

Acrobat
Has U2 finally lost their relevance? | U2 news article from @U2=

This article is insane!! They claim from Achtung Baby and onward, was the beginning U2's demise (STAGE 4), comparing it to "Britney Spears shaving her head "...I mean com on, this author clearly has any knowledge of U2 - reme,ber Achtung Baby was U2's #1 album (in my opinion, but MANY will back me up) and also the rise of the ZOOTV LIVE tour, which is arguably the most talked about tour in U2's histroy (maybe "KISS THE FUTURE" will replace it?). Not to mention POPmart was U2's largest stage production, and one of the most innovative tours in history (poorly received by fans though, so I guess this would be the mark of U2's slump, unfortunately this should have been their peak).

Anyways, this article infuriates me a little so I thought I'd share it. How could U2 be on a downward spiral for the last 20 years, someone explain that to me as it makes no sense.

What is it with Toronto? Isn't, NOW Magazine from Toronto, as well. They are the one's that gave NLOTH the 20% rating on Metacritic. :mad:

Guess which newspaper gets dissolved first, once the invasion is over? GUESS!

When are you gonna stop talking about this invasion and actually invade? If you don't go through with it soon, people are gonna start thinking you're just blowing hot air.

Who made you the general anyway?

:wink:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW, JUST WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

AB and ZOOROPA are amazing...the next three didn't suck but they weren't quite as amazing

Come on! Everyone knows that the beginning of the end was October.

Seriously, how do threads like this start? And continue?

If you haven't liked U2 since JT or AB, what the hell are you still doing here?

That is one of the stupidest articles I've ever read. In addition to the central thesis being absurd, the writer doesn't even get basic U2-facts right (he says Bono waved the white flag in 1985-1990!), and implies that Unforgettable Fire was not as successful as War, when in fact it sold more.

The first and most notable thing about U2's career curve -- whether or not you like their recent stuff -- is that they came back from their downward turn in popularity in 2000, and have enjoyed great critical and commercial success in their 40s. This alone distinguishes them from The Stones, Madonna, and whoever else the writer attempts to lump them in with.

Feel free to hate Toronto, by the way. Canadians do, too. The national government station recently produced a highly popular TV special called "Let's All Hate Toronto".

Back
Top Bottom