How is it the band stays so current on modern day technologies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Do they have someone go out and find what would become the next biggest trend, and sell it to them for a price? Or is it Bono's ambition to ride the way of what he thinks is the next big thing and hope it takes off?

I'm talking about things like;

the iPod
the LED light curtains used in Vertigo

I can't think of anymore examples at the moment, but those are things that have taken off well and are used by other artists, or have gained popularity of doing it.

I think the LED light curtains were partly the idea of Willie Williams, he also was the man behind The Claw. They have a couple of creative minds they brainstorm with.

for the next album they want to make avalible to the app format like a gatefold sleeve or something as an app on ipad and other tablets, also "experiencing the album on your plasma tv"

Also, the 3D movie -- they were the first to do it, along with a Youtube broadcast... and now everyone else follows...

LED curtains. So innovative.

for the next album they want to make avalible to the app format like a gatefold sleeve or something as an app on ipad and other tablets, also "experiencing the album on your plasma tv"
I don't know why Bono thinks this is such a special idea. Oh, it's special alright. Just a goofy little novelty, oh an album on my Apple product or on my TV, what fun... for about two hours. And then you start wondering why you spent your money on it. Then you realize: the Paul McGuinness multi-format scam has struck again!

I don't know why Bono thinks this is such a special idea. Oh, it's special alright. Just a goofy little novelty, oh an album on my Apple product or on my TV, what fun... for about two hours. And then you start wondering why you spent your money on it. Then you realize: the Paul McGuinness multi-format scam has struck again!

I understand most of this stuff is about combating piracy and giving people reasons to actually buy the product, but you can have all the multi-touch screens and apps you want, but if the music isn't compelling it all adds up to nothing. I could care less about the books, posters, lithographs, fly shades, interactive apps, etc...just give me great music.

I think the LED light curtains were partly the idea of Willie Williams, he also was the man behind The Claw. They have a couple of creative minds they brainstorm with.

The claw was Bono's idea. He built it with forks first. The most innovative and technologically amazing stuff sometimes comes out of something totally simple. U2 have always been on top of the game as far as technology is concerned because they're interested in this kind of stuff. Just playing music isn't enough for these guys. It's good to see that this is not a question of age I'm quite sure they're geniuses when it comes to technological stuff, especially Edge, but I'm also quite sure they have no idea how to wash their own laundry :)

I understand most of this stuff is about combating piracy and getting people reasons to actually buy the product, but you can have all the multi-touch screens and apps you want, but if the music isn't compelling it all adds up to nothing. I could care less about the books, posters, lithographs, fly shades, interactive apps, etc...just give me great music.

See that's what makes U2 different from all the thousand other bands out there, and it's good this way.

This isn't about the band keeping up with technology or being techy, it's about the paper that fans are willing to pay for their shows that allow them to hire excellent personnel that know how to put up a great show with amazing visuals and the technology involved.

Bono even admitted that he didn't have a clue how to explain his design of the claw, until one of the engineers helped him out and came up with what he had originally in mind to plain sight.

This isn't about the band keeping up with technology or being techy, it's about the paper that fans are willing to pay for their shows that allow them to hire excellent personnel that know how to put up a great show with amazing visuals and the technology involved.

Bono even admitted that he didn't have a clue how to explain his design of the claw, until one of the engineers helped him out and came up with what he had originally in mind to plain sight.

Well of course he couldn't explain the claw, he's not an engineer. But this is how creativity works. There are very few people in the world that have the idea and can implement it fully.

Every architect needs a builder. Every programmer needs a hardware engineer. Every car designer needs a mechanic.

The truth is that U2 has always been interested in whole picture and therefore surround themselves with those that can implement it. But let's not downplay the band's role, and especially Bono's ideas that push these things to get done.

Scorpion scoffed at the idea of the light curtains, but the truth is that technology had not been used that way to animate prior to that tour.

This band continues to push innovation. The Hoberman screen used this past tour was an amazing feat in design, and by far one of my favorite U2 ideas.

[/I]

Not sure if this is sarcasm, but it was actually way ahead of the norm at the time, especially in terms of being able to pipe graphics into a bulb that wasn't affixed to a hard/solid wall..and since then the technology has been refined and made more widely available for even smaller installations.

Well of course he couldn't explain the claw, he's not an engineer. But this is how creativity works. There are very few people in the world that have the idea and can implement it fully.

Every architect needs a builder. Every programmer needs a hardware engineer. Every car designer needs a mechanic.

The truth is that U2 has always been interested in whole picture and therefore surround themselves with those that can implement it. But let's not downplay the band's role, and especially Bono's ideas that push these things to get done.

Scorpion scoffed at the idea of the light curtains, but the truth is that technology had not been used that way to animate prior to that tour.

This band continues to push innovation. The Hoberman screen used this past tour was an amazing feat in design, and by far one of my favorite U2 ideas.

Good post.

U2 has been at the forefront of concert a/v production since their earliest collaborations with Clair Bros. Even audio/hardware configurations that we see at other artists' concerts today and take for granted had their origins in ideas for making U2 shows better.

And they've managed to do it largely without passing on massive ticket prices to the fans. A U2 ticket, while still one of the hottest tickets out there, still sits on average well under the cost of tickets of artists who (seemingly) care far less for the 'overall experience' they provide the fan.

...I'm quite sure they're geniuses when it comes to technological stuff, especially Edge, but I'm also quite sure they have no idea how to wash their own laundry :)

314wmkx.jpg

Vorsprung durch Technik! Edge is clearly trying to figure this whole 'laundry science' thing out. ;)

See that's what makes U2 different from all the thousand other bands out there, and it's good this way.

:up:

Do they have someone go out and find what would become the next biggest trend, and sell it to them for a price? Or is it Bono's ambition to ride the way of what he thinks is the next big thing and hope it takes off?

I'm talking about things like;

the iPod
the LED light curtains used in Vertigo

I can't think of anymore examples at the moment, but those are things that have taken off well and are used by other artists, or have gained popularity of doing it.

Willie Williams and Mark Fisher are a lot of help on tours.

Steve Jobs helped out with the Ipod.

Didn't Metallica do that prior to 2001?

Yup, and people have been doing it for a while. It's not that common because most bands realize that it would suck for their fans to watch them from behind the stage. I saw U2 from there and it was pretty bad.

I think ipods were doing alright prior to Vertigo.

they were very innovative with elevation in putting the crowd inside the stage... now everyone does it.

then they were innovative again with vertigo, by turning a heart into a circle. who woulda thunk!

does that look like a serious post to you?

as for the iPods? U2 were the first commercial act to fully, publicly embrace the idea, at a time when many in the industry were still leery about mp3 technology as a whole. they deserve some credit for that.

Back
Top Bottom