how glorious was Superbowl show to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
Just wondering among other super-fans, how high does the Superbowl performance rate on your Top Glorious live U2 moments? It's always been in my Top 5, but Im curious as to if this is typical thought among us?

I think it was really good, but perhaps not among the top live moments. Bono didn't sing all that well at times, and he almost completely ruined it with that long, high note in the beginning of WTSHNN that made his voice very raspy and scratchy (although everyone was already so into it they didn't even notice). But they truly gave it all, and put a lot of passion into the performance. The instrumental parts sounded good as well.

Standard 2001 Beautiful Day - MLK -Streets for me. Nothing really special.

I mostly remember it as the cause of much wailing and teeth-gnashing among the fans who thought that U2 were selling out or something.

As for performance itself, Bono's voice was not all there but it was a good one nonetheless. I wouldn't count it as my Top 5 U2 moments though.

Wow, you guys are so cynical, it was a killer performance, of course its not among Bono's best vocal moments at the end of a world tour, but the theme, the underdog Patriots in Red White and Blue about to win the Super Bowl, the tribute, the coat, the altered lyrics... hands down the best Super Bowl performance ever, and the only one to ever mean anything.

it was a big missed opportunity. here was U2, playing for a huge American audience that was still reeling from 9-11, and the could have pulled out some amazing songs, like "Heartland" or maybe "Drowning Man" or "Exit" or perhaps Edge and Bono could have sat on chairs and done an acoustic cover of "Tomorrow" or "Mofo," but instead they chose to be big and obvious and play gigantic hits that everyone likes and entirely appropriate to the occasion and were smashingly done with heart and sincerity because they are selfish and don't use an opportunity like the Super Bowl to please me by playing obscure stuff that no one else cares about.

it was a big missed opportunity. here was U2, playing for a huge American audience that was still reeling from 9-11, and the could have pulled out some amazing songs, like "Heartland" or maybe "Drowning Man" or "Exit" or perhaps Edge and Bono could have sat on chairs and done an acoustic cover of "Tomorrow" or "Mofo," but instead they chose to be big and obvious and play gigantic hits that everyone likes and entirely appropriate to the occasion and were smashingly done with heart and sincerity because they are selfish and don't use an opportunity like the Super Bowl to please me by playing obscure stuff that no one else cares about.

:hi5: well done, sir.

Wow, you guys are so cynical, it was a killer performance, of course its not among Bono's best vocal moments at the end of a world tour, but the theme, the underdog Patriots in Red White and Blue about to win the Super Bowl, the tribute, the coat, the altered lyrics... hands down the best Super Bowl performance ever, and the only one to ever mean anything.

prince was better. bruce was on par.

of course this is all personal opinion, but "hands down" is a little unfair.

Wait...cynicism? On Interference? :huh:

:wink:

It's right up there for me as well.

Bad - AIWIY - Streets = amazing.

Bad - 40 - Streets (from Boston DVD) = still great, but slightly less amazing.

I'm partial to Please into Streets from Popmart, but, the others mentioned here are great as well.

I enjoyed the SB performance very much, don't really care how great Bono's voice was at the time or what the fucking "set list" was.

I've liked/loved all the transitions into Streets except maybe Pride into Streets from the Vertigo shows.

I've liked/loved all the transitions into Streets except maybe Pride into Streets from the Vertigo shows.

agreed...

I have always wondered if they ever practiced wowy into street. Bono screaming the whoa-ohs at the end, adam playing the bass line and the synth for streets pulses from the background

:lol:
agreed...

I have always wondered if they ever practiced wowy into street. Bono screaming the whoa-ohs at the end, adam playing the bass line and the synth for streets pulses from the background

Didn't they try that at one point in rehearsals for either Vertigo or 360? Or am I making that up?

not sure dig? I think it would work, but if they have tried it, and it never came out there was probably a good reason!:lol:

prince was better. bruce was on par.

of course this is all personal opinion, but "hands down" is a little unfair.

You've got to be kidding me. Prince put on a fun/weird medley, and I love the Boss, but U2's show was the last time they had a huge artist that was still relevant in the mainstream, as much energy as Bruce still brings, he's past his prime, and say what you want about U2 right now, but they were not past their prime in 2002. Again, they used the show for something so much more than a promo or a party, and it was electrifying.

Back
Top Bottom