how glorious was Superbowl show to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

I had Born in the USA in 1984 and have been a huge fan ever since.
But that's one of his worst songs and he opened up his Super Bowl set with it.

Sorry for that tone, coolian but that just comes off as so ridiculous to me.
I've been saying that to people around here for years and years.
It's not necessary to bring down other artists to raise U2 up.
I said as much on the American Idol thread, prefacing my dislike of that dude's rendition of Beautiful Day.

I was labeled a "basher" before you ever joined this place for saying precisely what you said in the 10th post...I've done my fair share of it, that's for certain. But I joined Interference before I perceived a sharp decline in their work (ATYCLB to present). I'm not one of the people bamboozled by the poppy sound who later turned and decided they needed to fit a scene or trend or social aspect and suddenly there is something wrong with enjoying (X) when previously it was 'cool'.

And I am certainly not one to rag on other artists "pointlessly", it was a tongue-in-cheek shot at that crappy song. You know something about pointless tongue-in-cheek comments, don't you?

it was a big missed opportunity. here was U2, playing for a huge American audience that was still reeling from 9-11, and the could have pulled out some amazing songs, like "Heartland" or maybe "Drowning Man" or "Exit" or perhaps Edge and Bono could have sat on chairs and done an acoustic cover of "Tomorrow" or "Mofo," but instead they chose to be big and obvious and play gigantic hits that everyone likes and entirely appropriate to the occasion and were smashingly done with heart and sincerity because they are selfish and don't use an opportunity like the Super Bowl to please me by playing obscure stuff that no one else cares about.

:up:

Not quite all time-top 5 U2 performance, but I liked it at the time, and is one of their best this decade.

I don't get all the fuss about it. the preformance really wasn't special but of course the "theme" was.

His voice wasn't the best, but I still think it is one of their best live moments, just because of all the emotion.

I don't get all the fuss about it. the preformance really wasn't special but of course the "theme" was.

This. It was a defining moment in my fandom but, to be honest, it was a pretty crappy performance in hindsight.

On the plus side, Bono didn't use One as a means to an end, nor did they comment on the significance of the performance; it was spelled out on the faces of everyone watching.

the crowd around the stage seemed very enthusiastic, and luckily there weren't a lot of ugly people like in the boston dvd

Back
Top Bottom