How exactly does the band's IEM's work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. It's official: Willie Williams reads Interference. Absolutely no question about it.

2. Confirmed just bout everything I've said about this subject.

3. He's absolutely right - you may have think you've heard your favorite music before you've listened to it through in-ear monitors, but you really haven't. And nothing under $300, imo. Even better, custom fitted (aka molds made from impressions). But caution: keep the volume low.

:lol: He's such a stalker! Seriously, how many times have we had these kind of 'coincidences' with Willie's diary or u2.com articles coming out after an Interference thread was posted?

How do the tapers manage to tape the IEM monitors, is it a case of special access? Because surely the IEM feed would only be available to crew only. Giving it out to fans coming to the show would be risky no?

And what is the process of taping the IEM feed, and with many recordings there is an occasional loud swooshing noise that can make you jump when you're really focusing on the music. Any info would be greatly appreciated :D:hmm:

How do the tapers manage to tape the IEM monitors, is it a case of special access? Because surely the IEM feed would only be available to crew only. Giving it out to fans coming to the show would be risky no?

And what is the process of taping the IEM feed, and with many recordings there is an occasional loud swooshing noise that can make you jump when you're really focusing on the music. Any info would be greatly appreciated :D:hmm:

I have never tried to, but I did some reading on it before the 2010 Australian shows - my understanding is that they have to broadcast the feeds somehow, so they pick a clean frequency for each band member based on the location they are in (that is, far away from occupied frequencies). You have to scan the frequencies to find the cleanest possible feed, and record from there - so you would need a receiver, recording device, and scanner of some sort (maybe part of the receiver).

I'm surprised no one has made an iPhone app for this yet.

I have never tried to, but I did some reading on it before the 2010 Australian shows - my understanding is that they have to broadcast the feeds somehow, so they pick a clean frequency for each band member based on the location they are in (that is, far away from occupied frequencies). You have to scan the frequencies to find the cleanest possible feed, and record from there - so you would need a receiver, recording device, and scanner of some sort (maybe part of the receiver).

I'm surprised no one has made an iPhone app for this yet.

Wow it's as easy as that. When I say easy I mean super hard for the likes of myself that can only tape with an iPhone at the moment! [emoji23]

So it's done with a scanner scanning radio frequencies for example? Surely the band would have come up with a system that prevents others from finding it. But then again it's not as if their broadcasting SOE now is it!

Wow it's as easy as that. When I say easy I mean super hard for the likes of myself that can only tape with an iPhone at the moment! [emoji23]

So it's done with a scanner scanning radio frequencies for example? Surely the band would have come up with a system that prevents others from finding it. But then again it's not as if their broadcasting SOE now is it!

It apparently takes a lot of practise - they only broadcast over a tiny range, and finding the exact frequency can be difficult when you don't know what you are looking for

Basic idea is that--yes. FM Receiver plugged into recorder.

But kiddo, it's a lot more complicated than that in practice.

Back
Top Bottom