How exactly does the band's IEM's work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tried, I really did. Can I get an A for effort?

Do you remember this recent post of yours?

Episode 1,293,398 of Interference: Lost in Translation.

It's like you don't understand metaphors or figure of speeches. Back bone is a metaphor for bravery, which I was stating that Bono lacks as indicated from him taking too much notice of what Jay Z thinks about NLOTH. I've met Italians with a better grasp of the English language than you. If you don't undersatnd the word chav, then look it up. It's a well used word that's been knocking around by everyone in Britain since 2004 and made into the English Dictionary a year latter.

Lets not forget that it was us who invented the English language!!!!!!!!!

It's like you don't understand metaphors or figure of speeches. Back bone is a metaphor for bravery, which I was stating that Bono lacks as indicated from him taking too much notice of what Jay Z thinks about NLOTH. I've met Italians with a better grasp of the English language than you. If you don't undersatnd the word chav, then look it up. It's a well used word that's been knocking around by everyone in Britain since 2004 and made into the English Dictionary a year latter.

Ummm whhhhaaaaaatttttttt??? :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

This is like 4 different threads combined into one, none of which are comments from this thread, :lol:

Never change Annie, never change. You're a rock star!!!

Oh and if we're doing English language, allow me.

*figures of speech
*backbone
*understand
*knocked
*made it into
*later

*it was not, the English language wasn't invented. It's a mixed language, most was taken from existing languages.

And to think that English isn't even my first language.

Don't worry Annie, I still love you. :hug:

God I love being the most annoying and pedantic poster on here. Always a killer when people use the argument that English isn't their first language. :wink:

What the ever lovin FUCK?

Are you high?

Seriously...

I agree!

But I think you need to understand that Italians speaking English means that Paul McGuinness needs to admist Songs of Ascent to the greater triumph of Glastonbury. I'm telling you guys, Thursday was yesterday so today is Friday which means tomorrow is Saturday and Sunday comes afterwards. I was in a band in the eastern 1960s and everyone told us it couldn't be done. If that's enough to juxtify it, I'm not going to question the bowl. Shower yourselves in the knowledge that duct tapes presents challegnges for foxes.

You're only as smart as your uncle's first girlfriend allows you to be!!!!!!!!!!

:heart:

I love you.

Never change. Nevar.

oldest-chav-on-record.jpg

Shiiitt, son!1!!1

I agree!

But I think you need to understand that Italians speaking English means that Paul McGuinness needs to admist Songs of Ascent to the greater triumph of Glastonbury. I'm telling you guys, Thursday was yesterday so today is Friday which means tomorrow is Saturday and Sunday comes afterwards. I was in a band in the eastern 1960s and everyone told us it couldn't be done. If that's enough to juxtify it, I'm not going to question the bowl. Shower yourselves in the knowledge that duct tapes presents challegnges for foxes.

You're only as smart as your uncle's first girlfriend allows you to be!!!!!!!!!!

You're awesome. :heart:

Oh and if we're doing English language, allow me.

*figures of speech
*backbone
*understand
*knocked
*made it into
*later

What does this list even mean?

See you proved me right when I said you have no understanding of figure of speeches!

*it was not, the English language wasn't invented. It's a mixed language, most was taken from existing languages.

I know when I posted it that I was supposed to put the word created rather than invented. When Bono called Chris Martin a wanker it was a joke. When someone says you should be banned and gives some petty excuse, this is also a joke. When I use comparisons about cheating in music and sports cheats. Then if knock some of the views of one sports critic, you should at least notice this if you claim to know English. Do you have no sense of irreverence?

My friend agreed with me ages ago that it's almost like Americans and the Brits speak a different language. It's seems to be a well known fact amongst us. When you post threads I frequently don't understand the point you're getting at either BTW.

This post by Galeon Girl is yet another post that I don't understand.

And to think that English isn't even my first language.

Don't worry Annie, I still love you. :hug:

But I'm not. Where in that post did you prove me wrong? This post just confirms that you have no sense of figure of speech or metaphors.Wasn't it not you claimed that I made no sense when I said that both MrAndrewCrawley and Gvox claimed that through IEM's Bono's voice sounded small, and this was because his voice is. Well I disagree with these two posts because I was watching AI the other week and Jimmy Iovine made an appearance and said to one contestant that he had a lot of firepower in his voice like Bono. Again some Americans proclaimed to not understand his point when he a reference to a Dublin cafe but I did! Jimmy Iovine is a producer whose worked with the band. Do you seriously think that you know more than he does?

That list is all the mistakes you made in the post I quoted. All of which are either grammatical or spelling errors.
And I believe you said Gabe had no understanding of figure of speech, not me? How exactly does this post relate to me having no such understanding?

I have no clue what irreverence suddenly has to do with this. My understanding of English is pretty damn good, but my understanding of what you speak of is usually on the wtf level.

It's funny you should say that, as you're a Brit right? Then you should be able to perfectly understand me, as I've learned British English at school and despise the IMO lazy American English(No offense to you US people out there, the language is just not my thing).

I still don't get what my post has to do with the understanding of a figure of speech or a metaphor. All I did was smartass your post about the English language with a correction. No metaphor, no figure of speech, just plain old textbook corrections.

And I don't think I would say that you're making no sense when you're quoting others. Interpreting said posts would be another issue. And I wouldn't know if I know more than Jimmy Iovine, as I don't know the man. But I do trust in my own knowledge rather than blindly following what people on tv say.

Gvox claimed that through IEM's Bono's voice sounded small, and this was because his voice is.

I did not say this, you just completely misunderstood what I said and furthermore it's pretty clear you don't really understand the difference between signals being sent to monitors and signals that are broadcast over PAs.

All the rest of this stuff you're rambling about? Rubbish. Bollocks. Pretty sure those two terms are universal on both sides of the pond.

...On a more serious note, the piling on of mockery aimed at certain individuals is getting to be over the top. Let's cool it with the pointing and laughing, gang.

Everyone makes mistakes Galeon Girl. There's no need to be a smartarse unless you think you've never mis-spelled or made typing error. Not unless you're so perfect that you never make mistakes.

And I don't think I would say that you're making no sense when you're quoting others

Oh yes you did! Just click to what you put on 1 or 2 previous pages in this thread! That's exactly what you were implying. However, I've come to the bottom of what was causing all my confusion. Gvox has explained it:

I did not say this, you just completely misunderstood what I said and furthermore it's pretty clear you don't really understand the difference between signals being sent to monitors and signals that are broadcast over PAs.

He's right. I don't understand the difference between all these different signals. It's all very confusing for me. :sigh:

And I don't think I would say that you're making no sense when you're quoting others.

Well that was a general statement that wasn't specifically aimed at you. But yes. Sometimes I get don't get the point myself when I or someone else says something and another interference member posts a funny picture or a smiley in response. Sometimes they claim not to understand and then I get confused because I'm thinking "what is they're not to understand?" Maybe it's a cultural thing that occurs in everyday banter. I've never been to the US so I can only go by films, TV and music. Maybe if they put this sort of humor in Friends and The Simpsons then our production companies would have to remake them.

Interpreting said posts would be another issue. And I wouldn't know if I know more than Jimmy Iovine, as I don't know the man. But I do trust in my own knowledge rather than blindly following what people on tv say.

Yes I would agree because random people on TV are no different then those who you meet in chat rooms. Producers of TV shows have no moral responsibility to accurately check everything that is said as if they were writing an essay. However you would agree that Jimmy Iovine is not just some random guy on TV, he's a CEO of a top record company. He produced Rattle & Hum so I'm sure he knows what he's talking about when it comes to voices. AndrewCrawley said what he did because he's unsure about what he's talking about.

From Willie Williams diary:

Santiago. Production Day.

My ears arrived today, which was a source of much excitement. 'Ears', as they are known in the trade, are the in-ear monitors used by today's modern musician, in order to hear what they're playing on stage. They look like a cross between iPod ear buds, old-school hearing aids and vaguely S&M medical appliances, being made to measure from moulded impressions taken from the wearer's ears.

All of the 360 musicians, backline crew and audio techs have these, connected to radio belt-picks so each person can hear whatever they need to hear. Each band member can have their own mix of the stage sounds, emphasising whatever it is they are doing and eliminating anything they don't particularly need. These clever devices have been around for a couple of decades or more, but have now become a fundamental part of amplified performance. I'd heard that they take a bit of getting used to but I've witnessed many musicians (including David Bowie, whose astonishment was rather charming) trying them out and going from uncertainty to true love within minutes.

I'd meant to get myself a set of these for ages because, when I'm on stage with the band during sound check or rehearsal, I'm the only person who can't hear what's going on. The P.A. is no help as the speakers are extremely directional and miles above your head when you're standing on stage. Consequently, without 'ears' all you hear is drums and Edge's rig going off at vast volume. If Bono talks to me via his mic, I can be standing next to him and not hear a word he's saying which isn't especially helpful. I wander about the stage feeling like Tommy and trying to look like I know what's going on. Recently I've been making do, using a set of regular headphones but there's too much sound-bleed for this to be very effective and besides, the 'aspiring-DJ' look doesn't really work for me.

I had the impressions made in London during the last break. It's the same procedure used for making moulded earplugs, but with more precision. Essentially you have a syringe put in your ear, which squirts out a substance akin to modelling clay and toothpaste, creating a thrillingly violating sensation in your ear canal. This is left to set, then extracted with a satisfying squelch before being sent off to the audiologists.

So, as I said, my 'ears' arrived today and I found a quiet corner to try them out. They're an absolute bugger to get in first time, but I am told that one acquires the technique over time. Trying to remove them is equally exhilarating, as the fit is vacuum-tight for isolation. As you tug to remove one plug, it feels like part of your brain is going to come with it.

Anyhow, having got myself comfortable I fired up iTunes and had a listen. I started gently with some Laurie Anderson and in that moment understood David Bowie's astonishment way back when. Talk about hearing voices from god, it's like the sound is being generated entirely inside your head. I felt like Alice in Wonderland, it was such a fantastic, trippy experience. I worked up to some serious kerrang (a young Scottish garage band that I've been enjoying of late, with the rather wonderful name We Were Promised Jetpacks) and was amazed to find that you can make it feel like the all-encompassing rock experience without it having to be overly loud. It's an extraordinarily weird and wonderful sensation. Kind of like what I've always imagined demon-possession must feel like.

Later in the day, when the backline crew were playing and Joe was cranking the P.A., I sat at front of house isolated in my own little bubble, listening to some Oscar Peterson etudes. This is a whole new world of private audio - I've never looked forward to sound check this much in my life.

1. It's official: Willie Williams reads Interference. Absolutely no question about it.

2. Confirmed just bout everything I've said about this subject.

3. He's absolutely right - you may have think you've heard your favorite music before you've listened to it through in-ear monitors, but you really haven't. And nothing under $300, imo. Even better, custom fitted (aka molds made from impressions). But caution: keep the volume low.

if that's true he should do something useful and get the band playing Mofo again :drool: in time for glastonbury....

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom