How exactly does the band's IEM's work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I've heard/read from the actual tapers, it's not all that "simple." Or, maybe the concept equipment is simple, but beyond that it requires, if nothing else, a hell of a lot of patience and lucking into the perfect spot to avoid interference?

Or something like that. I'm sure many tapers who've recorded IEMs would bristle at it being called "amazing simple."

Well it's ok, not aiming to offend the tapers, but in reality the majority of the tapers might not be musicians or understand the technical environment as well as a musician or sound technician who's worked with them might (or as well as one who owns/rents decent IEM equipment might). It's pretty simple stuff with the right gear and locating oneself which becomes simpler once you do it a couple times. Plus, there's ample opportunity to scan during line check..pay attention there's a pattern/method to how they do it.. ;)

I love the IEMs where the verse is being counted in.."1..2..1 2 3 4.." when you take that in with the teleprompters..how can Bono ever flub it? :wink:

In the IEM recordings I've heard, Bono's voice invariably sounds horrible. Is that because (shock) this is his voice before they add reverb and other effects to make it sound big or because in an IEM mix the frequencies are squashed down and as a result everything sounds tinny and weak.

It is amazing to hear a sterile IEM recording that makes your ears hurt and then hear the band actually play in conert! I guess their PA system just offers a lot more sound possibilities than those little earpieces.

What bands don't use IEM's? I guess some musicians don't like them. Bet Pearl Jam don't use them.

The bigger you get, in terms of the size of the room you're playing to, the more likely it is, but still plenty don't at all - or only some band members do. Its not exactly something you'd normally pay much attention to, but off the top of my head, I can't think of too many bands that have everyone wired in like U2.

I'd say a large part of it with U2 is to do with just how many non-band cues they have.

Nah, I say a large part of why U2 are using them is so they can move around on the stages and still hear the others. Should they not use them then they would have to use the traditional monitors, meaning they'll probably be confined to the main stage (or else have the catwalk cluttered with monitors).

In the IEM recordings I've heard, Bono's voice invariably sounds horrible. Is that because (shock) this is his voice before they add reverb and other effects to make it sound big

Yes, although in trade magazine interviews with his monitor mixer it's been mentioned that he gets a bit of reverb and the crowd ambience mics. But for the most part that's what you're hearing in an IEM, your voice with no effects or engineering tricks.

The bigger you get, in terms of the size of the room you're playing to, the more likely it is, ...

I'd say a large part of it with U2 is to do with just how many non-band cues they have.

It's both. Especially for songs where there is a sequenced track, or Terry playing synths/loops, it's nearly impossible to do without them. Also, Edge's delay depends on the tempo of the song being the same every time they play it. That means click track.

Nah, I say a large part of why U2 are using them is so they can move around on the stages and still hear the others. Should they not use them then they would have to use the traditional monitors, meaning they'll probably be confined to the main stage (or else have the catwalk cluttered with monitors).

It's not really only that Martijn, as I've mentioned the delay settings and making sure the sequencing/underbelly accompianment is on point depends on it also. But even if it were...even if they never moved from their respective positions, it's a challenge to provide ample onstage monitoring in that large of an environment especially stadiums. That's a really big stage they're on, and the way sound travels around it is far different than small stages. The sound dissipates so quickly it's not funny. Lags start happening between what the guitarist and the bass player are hearing. So then you get into a contest between all the competing sounds coming off the stage and the singer keeps asking for more and more, his/her mic starts feeding back, it's a nightmare. A huge part of Edge's guitar sound is the overdrive, and that overdrive happens when he cranks his amp and works the tubes. I'm pretty sure you've stood front row/Edge side? His amps are LOUD. Now think of how loud he and Bono's monitors would have to be able to hear themselves sing, even standing right in front of them.

A good example of this is when U2 brings another band onstage to play with them. When they brought that originals band from I think it was London, ON to play Out of Control, the kids did a decent job at the song, but they weren't in time with each other and the vocals...well you could tell he couldn't hear himself. Similarly, whenever they bring a sole guitar player or keyboardist onstage to play with them...ever notice where Edge is when that person is playing? Usually right beside him, watching him intently. Imo that's because that person can't really hear the rest of the band properly, so Edge is watching the chord changes intently to make sure it isn't a complete trainwreck. Bono's vocals in those moments are sometimes not on beat, and if the person is trying to sing - which they rarely let happen for these very reasons - it's also off-time.

But finally one of the biggest reasons for a singer: it improves your singing immensely, once you get used to it as it can be a bit disconcerting at first. Bono's singing technique has improved over the years and a large part of that is the fact that he can finally hear himself better than ever before (last 10 years).

It's amazing how much changes vocally depending on whether or not you can hear yourself. Not that I have experience on anything remotely resembling a big stage, but when I'm singing with a band, if it feels like I'm starting to strain and shout, I probably just can't hear myself as well as I think I can (it always starts out fine and then I realize it's not so great :lol: ). I can hear the general gist of it, like if I'm singing in tune or not, but it takes a lot more effort if the monitor's not up enough.

Amazing how just turning up the monitor makes the singing easier - for me, at least.

:yes: When you sing with a band you're constantly competing with the instruments. It's not so bad in a smaller environment but even then there's a fine line where turning up the monitors starts causing feedback issues on certain frequencies (frustratingly, the ones that vocals inhabit). Also, as a show goes on, for some reasons bands seem to get louder and louder. Over time, this competition can cause strain on the ol' vocal chords.

They can be fun to listen to for one thing. I enjoy hearing the chatter between the guys you can hear on some of them. The one with Edge talking about the sounds his guitar is making at the Rose Bowl sounding "so weird!" amuses me. :D

They can be fun to listen to for one thing. I enjoy hearing the chatter between the guys you can hear on some of them. The one with Edge talking about the sounds his guitar is making at the Rose Bowl sounding "so weird!" amuses me. :D

It's soooo weird!

and I love the extra bits they have on their IEM's. Bono's Crazy Tonight backing piano for instance.

What is the point of listening to what the show sounds like through IEM's? I don't want to.

Electric guitars are really loud even on small amps. You can't expact an unamplified voice to compete with a full rock band can you?

You just answered your own question.

IEMs are fitted to isolate/block out outside noise. That outside noise includes the guitar amps around you which, as you say, are very loud. Custom fit IEMs block out even more, to an almost disorientating level until you get used to it.

So picture being able to hear nothing else than what the monitor mix person can send you in your IEMs: you get your voice at a certain level and your guitar at a certain level (probably lower) because the guitar amp is mic'd thru to the same board your mic is running into. Therefore your monitor mix person can control both sounds (vocals and guitar) in better relation to each other, in your ears.

But Mr AndrewCrawley suggested that Bono's voice sounded weak. If effects can make a tiny voice sound powerful then why isn't everyone trying it? Why doesn't Britney Spears try it so she can sound like Christina?

Hi, Annie, it depends on which IEM you're listening, IEMs are designed for the band's members only, but some people manage to record them, every IEM gives a different mix according to the necessities of who is going to hear it, in Bono's IEM you hear a weaker guitar and a stronger voice without reverbering because that's what Bono needs in order to hear himself properly, in Edge's you hear the guitar over all the others and so on, plus they all have some little technical aids like a countdown, for example to make sure that they start playing at the same time even if they are far apart on the stage and can't see each other, Adam and Larry usually have a tick-tock to mark the rythm at the beginning of the song.

I like IEMs because they give you a really good insight of what is going on on the stage, sometimes you can even listen to them talking among themselves, some people don't like them because the mix is not balanced or because Bono's voice doesn't have reverbs. It is a question of taste. All artists use IEMs in these times, Britney of course does, she can't sound like Christina Aguilera just becuse she doesn't have the voice.

Out of curiosity which IEM is that exactly? :nerd:

The Rose Bowl Matrix recording which is a mix of more than one bootleg. Earlier in this thread sharebear noted that this recording is a mix of more than one of the guys IEMs. I didn't know that as I had only previously heard it was Edge IEM and an audience bootleg.

The Rose Bowl Matrix recording which is a mix of more than one bootleg. Earlier in this thread sharebear noted that this recording is a mix of more than one of the guys IEMs. I didn't know that as I had only previously heard it was Edge IEM and an audience bootleg.

Ah thank you! :) Interesting, a Bono, Adam, Edge mix.

Back
Top Bottom