How do you rank NLOTH now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How is NLOTH?

• 10: Best

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 9: Masterpiece

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • 8: Extraordinary

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • 7: Great

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • 6: Good

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • 5: Average

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • 4: Mediocre

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • 3: Bad

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • 2: Terrible

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 1: Worst

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Streets is indeed U2 by numbers. Basically. But Live? That song is something else. It just takes off.

I understand your point, and yeah I get that the majority wants hits. But that's not what most die hard insane off yer rocker fans want. That's the biggest difference, we're not 'general' public. We listen to the music so often, been to many shows, some of us grow tired of the old hits. Some even grew tired of Streets(blasphemy!). I can get that too. But yeah. There's no way I'd have wanted them to play Magnificent over Zooropa. That song blew my head off when I finally saw it in Montreal. I stopped taking photos and move around completely, just stood there with my jaw on the floor next to the drunk Norwegian guy I met earlier. At the end we just held each other celebrating the magic we just saw.

There's no way I'd have wanted them to play Magnificent over Zooropa. That song blew my head off when I finally saw it in Montreal. I stopped taking photos and move around completely, just stood there with my jaw on the floor next to the drunk Norwegian guy I met earlier. At the end we just held each other celebrating the magic we just saw.

I like Magnificent myself, but I have to agree that seeing/hearing Zooropa was something else! One of the moments I won't forget from the Minneapolis show is seeing that performed in the pouring rain, lights and everything.

Thanks for sharing that little story, btw. :)

Streets is indeed U2 by numbers. Basically. But Live? That song is something else. It just takes off.

I understand your point, and yeah I get that the majority wants hits. But that's not what most die hard insane off yer rocker fans want. That's the biggest difference, we're not 'general' public. We listen to the music so often, been to many shows, some of us grow tired of the old hits. Some even grew tired of Streets(blasphemy!). I can get that too. But yeah. There's no way I'd have wanted them to play Magnificent over Zooropa. That song blew my head off when I finally saw it in Montreal. I stopped taking photos and move around completely, just stood there with my jaw on the floor next to the drunk Norwegian guy I met earlier. At the end we just held each other celebrating the magic we just saw.

I pretty much had an identical experience in Oakland. First time seeing Zooropa live in all that beauty... From the Front Row Center of the Inner Rail. Amazing. I couldn't believe it was happening to me. Didn't feel real. I couldn't even sing along because I was just so in awe of the stage during Zooropa. Unbelievable.

Okay, but you might as well say that 'Where The Streets Have No Name' is U2 by numbers.

I'm not saying you have to like it -- I'm explaining why most people would prefer it to some more unique tracks. The average 40-year-old radio listener wants U2 to sound like U2, not like The Pet Shop Boys.

1. Awful comparison. One established the formula, the other utilized it.
2. Have you extensively researched the claim that someone would prefer to hear Magnificent over Even Better Than The Real Thing? Because crowd reactions consistently point to the contrary.
3. The person in this thread who would prefer to hear Magnificent wished to do so because they felt they would never have the opportunity again, not necessarily because they preferred the song.

For the record, I love Magnificent.

I voted with 7 although NLOTH deserves 7.5 imo.
The album includes some of U2's best songs in a long time: White As Snow, Moment Of Surrender, Magnificent, Breathe. I'll Go Crazy and Magnificent partially introduced me to U2, I wasn't a fan when I heard them for the first time but immediately loved these two songs so I always think of this album with sentiment. I find the overall atmosphere unique, however I'd be happier if Boots had been replaced by something else (no big hate towards Boots, though).
And yes, I do like SUC very much.

I like Magnificent myself, but I have to agree that seeing/hearing Zooropa was something else! One of the moments I won't forget from the Minneapolis show is seeing that performed in the pouring rain, lights and everything.

Thanks for sharing that little story, btw. :)

I pretty much had an identical experience in Oakland. First time seeing Zooropa live in all that beauty... From the Front Row Center of the Inner Rail. Amazing. I couldn't believe it was happening to me. Didn't feel real. I couldn't even sing along because I was just so in awe of the stage during Zooropa. Unbelievable.

Glad to hear more people had similar experiences. :) It was amazing looking around in the pit seeing more people gobsmacked. Definitely one of the 360 tour Highlights.

1. Awful comparison. One established the formula, the other utilized it.
2. Have you extensively researched the claim that someone would prefer to hear Magnificent over Even Better Than The Real Thing? Because crowd reactions consistently point to the contrary.
3. The person in this thread who would prefer to hear Magnificent wished to do so because they felt they would never have the opportunity again, not necessarily because they preferred the song.
Please read my posts carefully before you designate anything "awful". I simply responded to someone's writing that he "couldn't understand" how anyone (i.e., not me, but "anyone") could prefer "Magnificent" to two other songs. I stated that it might be because "Magnificent" sounds like classic U2. That is all. Just a minor point. Has nothing to do with my opinions or how a crowd responded.

Please read my posts carefully before you designate anything "awful". I simply responded to someone's writing that he "couldn't understand" how anyone (i.e., not me, but "anyone") could prefer "Magnificent" to two other songs. I stated that it might be because "Magnificent" sounds like classic U2. That is all. Just a minor point. Has nothing to do with my opinions or how a crowd responded.

Forgive me, I mentally placed your post into the context of live discussion when in fact you were responding to Cobbler who was apparently talking about the studio versions as well.

Again, I don't know of anyone who would prefer to hear Magnificent over Zooropa or Even Better Than The Real Thing given the choice, but I suppose a taste for the "classic" U2 sound (ie: The Joshua Tree) at the expense of all others would do the trick.

Cannot understand how people would have preferred to hear Unknown Caller or Magnificent over Zooropa or EBTTRT

Some would. :shrug:

And good riddance to nostalgia act touring habits with the last legs of 360, I hope.

Great to see the overall polling results here...

For me, the biggest disappointment of the 360 tour was how NLOTH was virtually squeezed from the setlists. I really agree with Brian Eno's assessment that Breathe, for example, is one of the best songs U2 have ever written.

And for me, it was a great opener... :applaud:

hear hear...TOTALLY agree...i love breathe......for me....its one of the best rockers u2 have ever written. Why there is so much disdain for it among u2 fans.....i do not know

I don't understand the general disdain for NLOTH material, although this thread made me feel better.

I think NLOTH is a solid record with some real gems. I don't consider any song on it filler, and that is no easy feat to pull off.

Back
Top Bottom