How do you rank NLOTH now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How is NLOTH?

• 10: Best

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 9: Masterpiece

Votes: 18 15.1%
  • 8: Extraordinary

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • 7: Great

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • 6: Good

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • 5: Average

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • 4: Mediocre

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • 3: Bad

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • 2: Terrible

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 1: Worst

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well, I'm still confused as to how to vote, so I haven't, but I agree with several of TrevGreg's points -- except as regards 'White as Snow' and 'Cedars of Lebanon'.

Here's what I think, with hindsight:

1. NLOTH -- This one just passed me by earlier; now I'll say that it's not that bad. I like the energy, the rhythm, the lyrics -- and the chord-change into the chorus is good. Melodically, it's a bit dull, and I think the "Oh-Oh-Oh"s by Bono are really over-kill -- he sings "Oh-Oh"s as the introduction to the bridge before a small bit of verse (a couplet?), and then back to the final verse. I think, as a composition, a stronger bridge would have helped this song a lot. Also, a bit less vocal histrionics.

2. Magnificent -- Fantastic. The only gripe is some of the lyrics in the verses are dead boring. But it's U2 doing what they do best, so A+.

3. Moment of Surrender -- I'm still not getting the appeal of this one. I do appreciate the moody feel of the track, but I think it's more from production values and Eno-isms than anything musical. The change into the choruses is nice, but nothing else is musically interesting. What I really don't enjoy is the way Bono's voice is recorded -- it sounds shrill and... well, bad. The track doesn't justify its length.

4. Unknown Caller -- I like this one, despite some awkward lyrics. It's a song of shimmering beauty, and musically it's strong. It is, of course, a U2-by-numbers sound, so nothing new. The intro calls to mind a B-side from the Unforgettable Fire era. However, that is a great era, so I still enjoy this track (although it's irrelevant to their legacy).

5. Crazy something -- I really hated this song in 2009... and I still do. Here we have Edge playing a super simple riff (akin to "Walk On" as TrevGreg said) that isn't very catchy or interesting, a patched-together melody (sounds like it came from three different songs), a meaningless lyric, and a ridiculous chorus and title. All in a failed attempt to reproduce a "Stuck in a Moment" type of easy-on-the-ears radio hit. Rubbish.

6. Get On Your Boots -- Not a train wreck, but since they pushed it on us as the first single, it of course gets a lot of abuse. The guitar riff is actually pretty good, but somehow they constructed a boring song around it, despite the super-fast tempo. The lyrics are far too obscure to bother trying to sell to radio programmers (they also pass me by, and I'm more analytical than the average top 40 listener). A decent album track, and would have been a great B-side, but like Michael Dukakis it will always be remembered for what it attempted and failed to do!

7. Stand Up Comedy -- Very disturbing that they apparently spent two years working on this. One can only imagine that it was much better in an earlier form. Eno actually indirectly noted this in an interview, where he said that U2 sometimes drive him crazy by pushing the songs too far, often past their peak, and then they get captured on a downward trajectory instead of when the track was fresh. I am wondering if he had this cheese-on-a-stick track in mind when he said it!

8. Fez/Being Born -- I like this. As a composition, it's the kind of thing that they can probably knock off in their sleep, but it sounds cool. (I think this would have been great off the top of the album, but somehow I doubt Larry or Paul McGuinness would have gone for it...)

9. White As Snow -- Great! I love this song, and find it much better on every level than 'Moment of Surrender'. The lyrics are wonderfully evocative, and the (traditional?) melody is very nice. Like, "Cedars", I think these are truly some of Bono's best lyrics in many a year. (It is slightly overproduced, but most of the album is.)

10. Breathe -- And now the opposite: this is a track where the lyrics actually ruin the song for me (along with, again, the badly recorded vocals). I can't explain it, but sometimes Bono really nails the "character-persona" lyrics, and sometimes it's a disaster. This is a lyrical disaster. I do like the soaring part of the chorus ("walk out into the street..."). That's good stuff -- they should have started with that, and thrown out the rest. This track again sounds like three or four different jams thrown together and forced into one song.

11. Cedars of Lebanon -- Love it! This track isn't getting any attention since they don't play it live and it's an album closer, but WHAT A GREAT TRACK. Here is where Bono does the character-thing very well. The lyrics are his best since 'Beautiful Day' and 'Please' -- personal, heartbreaking, evocative, and with a lot of subtlety (something U2 could really work on!). For example, why the images of the soldiers? How does that relate to the journalist-or-whoever stuck in Lebanon, musing over his life? I like this kind of ambiguity, and this lyric kind of matched my life perspective back in 2009 (I was literally a writer/editor, living in a 'strange' foreign country, musing over my lost love, at the time.) The lyric that I love the most is "squeezing complicated lives into a simple headline". Love it, love it, love it!

I don't care much for 'Winter', but it might be better after being worked up more (the "butter on toast" line could go, too).

So, kind of a weird U2 album. Aside from the "U2-by-numbers" songs that we've all heard before ('Magnificent', 'Unknown Caller', 'Boots', parts of 'Breathe') I find the most successful tracks to be "Winter", "Fez/Being Born", and "Cedars". In other words, I'm most impressed by the final third of the album. I think this might have been a rich vein to mine for an entire LP, and certainly the horrors of "Crazy Band" and "Stand up Comedy" should have been avoided. I can only conclude that there was too much calculation that went into the track selection and creative process. The album might have been better if they'd just recorded the whole album in three days, on two tracks.

if the middle 3 had been completely taken out or replaced by Winter and EBW, then we're looking at a 9.

This :up:

I'd possibly keep Boots but the other two shouldn't have made it.

Cedars and Fez are up there with some of their best work, though Fez should have had more of the "dubby" feel that was at the beginning. NLOTH, and MOS are very good too and Magnificent is my favourite song of the decade after TGBHF.

11. Cedars of Lebanon -- Love it! This track isn't getting any attention since they don't play it live and it's an album closer, but WHAT A GREAT TRACK. Here is where Bono does the character-thing very well. The lyrics are his best since 'Beautiful Day' and 'Please' -- personal, heartbreaking, evocative, and with a lot of subtlety (something U2 could really work on!). For example, why the images of the soldiers? How does that relate to the journalist-or-whoever stuck in Lebanon, musing over his life? I like this kind of ambiguity, and this lyric kind of matched my life perspective back in 2009 (I was literally a writer/editor, living in a 'strange' foreign country, musing over my lost love, at the time.) The lyric that I love the most is "squeezing complicated lives into a simple headline". Love it, love it, love it!

Great analysis of Cedars Panther! :up:

Breathe is not an experimental nor lyrical disaster.

SUC however is, although I prefer the term "abortion."

Gave it a 7 only because 6 and "Good" sounded too harsh for an album where I enjoy at least half the stuff.

I like the album and am probably one of the few who actually enjoys GOYB, but i really dislike SUC and don't care much for Fez/Crazy/WAS/COL. Any replacement there with North Star, Every Breaking Wave, Mercy, Stingray, Boy Falls...would have definitely been an upgrade in my eyes.

The rest (NLOTH, Magnificent, MOS, UC, GOYB, Breathe) as said I really enjoy. So it's 6 likes vs. 1 dislike vs. 4 meeeeeeh.

Hence, almost a 6 and "good," but personal things like the solo in UC or the sheer epic MOS (one of their best, by the way) and the catchy Magnificent riff...are all things that pull it up.

What's so wrong with Stand Up Comedy? :confused:

What's right with it? :)

I don't know, for some reason the song really irritates me. Not many U2 songs can say that of themselves.

1. Let's start off with the title. Really? They had to include the "comedy"? Couldn't have just left it at "Stand up"?

2. Bono sounds like wanting to sing some forced white reggae tune.

3. the riff sounds like something the Chilli Peppers would have done in the 90's (I'm actually always just waiting for Anthony Kiedis to start singing some rap)

4. there are random noises (siren...what the heck? Vertigo was indeed better fitting)

5. and last but not least: The lyrics!!! "Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady," "Napolean is in high heels
Josephine, be careful of small men with big ideas
," and "God is love
And love is evolution’s very best day
" are either extremely cheesy or just lyrical diarrhea.

What's right with it? :)

I don't know, for some reason the song really irritates me. Not many U2 songs can say that of themselves.

1. Let's start off with the title. Really? They had to include the "comedy"? Couldn't have just left it at "Stand up"?

2. Bono sounds like wanting to sing some forced white reggae tune.

3. the riff sounds like something the Chilli Peppers would have done in the 90's (I'm actually always just waiting for Anthony Kiedis to start singing some rap)

4. there are random noises (siren...what the heck? Vertigo was indeed better fitting)

5. and last but not least: The lyrics!!! "Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady," "Napolean is in high heels
Josephine, be careful of small men with big ideas
," and "God is love
And love is evolution’s very best day
" are either extremely cheesy or just lyrical diarrhea.

I still like it. I've always seen the song and its lyrics as a big joke and that's why I like it so much. U2 making fun of themselves. All the random phrases of the lyrics put together with no logical connection. Hence the word "Comedy" in the title, which I guess answers your first question.

I still like it.

As you say yourself: To each their own. :) As said, I like GOYB and know many don't, so...

I've always seen the song and its lyrics as a big joke and that's why I like it so much. U2 making fun of themselves. All the random phrases of the lyrics put together with no logical connection. Hence the word "Comedy" in the title, which I guess answers your first question.

I've heard the argument before, and frankly I don't buy it (from U2, not from you). I'm not particularly sarcastic or joke resistent and I think it's usually very obvious when U2 is pulling a leg. It doesn't sound very sincere to me, even if it is meant as a joke. But oh well. :)

I appreciate the debate. That's what keeps it interesting.

I think in an album that's mostly meant to be taken completely seriously- I mean, just read the lyrics to Cedars- it's nice to have a punchy, anthemic-sounding but silly song. It's refreshing.

I mean, I just tried choosing a least favorite NLOTH song and couldn't. So that's how much I appreciate this album.

Lyrically SUC is the worst U2 song in history. And when you add that awful gaudy music...it makes the worst songs on Bomb sound like One.

Hey, when voting, are we supposed to choose a number relative to U2's discography (in which case I'd give it a 1 or 2), or are we supposed to objectively score it a number against the standards of pop music in general (in which case I'd give it a 6)?

I would say against other U2 albums, since the top and bottom are best and worst.

I gave it a 7 in '09 and still stand as a 7 in '011.

Great record but still showcase u2's dilemma since ''Pop'' :Are we experimenting or do we want to be on the radio?

I feel the band will have to decide to go "all in" on one of the side or the other for the next album,and stop sitting on the fence.

Great record but still showcase u2's dilemma since ''Pop'' :Are we experimenting or do we want to be on the radio?

I feel the band will have to decide to go "all in" on one of the side or the other for the next album,and stop sitting on the fence.

Well said. :up: I'm hoping that they'll go for the experimental side for SOA (or whatever the next album is called).

I gave it a 7 in '09 and still stand as a 7 in '011.

U2 definitely wanted to be on the radio with Pop

I give it 8/10 . I think its murder they tried to remix Magnificent, and the fact that they never really played the original version of Crazy live. I love this album , still do, even more than when I first purchased it.

I give it 8/10 . I think its murder they tried to remix Magnificent, and the fact that they never really played the original version of Crazy live. I love this album , still do, even more than when I first purchased it.

THANK YOU!

All the fans I talked to at my two 360 shows told me they preferred the live version of Crazy and that it was one of their favorite parts of the night. But the original is so superior.

The RAC Mix of Magnificent, which is "official" but didn't appear anywhere but on the remixer's web site, is incredible. Some people think the changes to the vocal melody were done with AutoTune, but it doesn't sound that way to me. It almost sounds like a completely different vocal track. It certainly doesn't sound like Lady Gaga or Katy Perry or Black Eyed Peas-style autotune.
U2 - Magnificent (RAC Mix) | RAC

It's an album of peaks and troughs. When it's good, it's astounding
:up:

I agree -- I also think those "peaks and troughs" you mention are often brilliantly contained within the songs themselves. There's a depth and weight to songs like NLOTH, Breathe, and MOS -- sonic characteristics that surpass the sheen of HTDAAB and keep you rediscovering.

Overall, I'd still rank it as "extraordinary" / 9.

My imaginary "masterpiece" tracklisting:

1. No Line On The Horizon
2. Magnificent
3. Breathe
4. Every Breaking Wave
5. Unknown Caller
6. Moment of Surrender
7. Fez Being Born
8. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
9. Get on Your Boots
10. Winter
11. Cedars Of Lebanon

Love this. :up:

This is my preferred tracklisting:

1. No Line On The Horizon
2. Magnificent
3. Moment Of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. Soon
6. Breathe
7. Get On Your Boots
8. Fez - Being Born
9. White As Snow
10. Winter (Linear Version)