He's criticised our National Icon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if you were ever going to return to the monster thread you'd created! ;)

In U2 By U2 it made me wonder if Edge thought so little about the grunge scene, why did they perform with Green Day and why did they chose Pearl Jam to support them in Hawaii. I know that they are friends with Seattle band Smashing Pumpkins. So maybe he didn't direct his comment at these bands in particular and neither did he mean to slate Webber. He is a student compared to Webber and he should see one of his productions and take note.

Green Day wasn't part of the grunge scene. And regardless of Edge's thoughts on the whole Seattle grunge thing, Pearl Jam is one of the few bands to outlive the whole scene and become a very respected group, so I don't find it hypocritical at all to have PJ play with them.

Also, Smashing Pumpkins are from Chicago.

So don't you mock me, you naughty idecorous oaf.

Oooooh ... yikes. Personal insults, no matter how wonderfully phrased, aren't kosher.

Ok well he probably didn't direct his comments towards ALW. Musicals were extravegant in the days of the Rat Pack, Barbra Streisand, Julie Andrews and the American national icon with her big brown Bambi eyes Judy Garland. The Sound Of Music had complex harmonies whilst The Wizard of Oz made the audience gasp because it was the first time colour was seen on the screen. Cinema had it's hey-day in those days but that doesn't mean to say that there's been no good films released since then.

In U2 By U2 it made me wonder if Edge thought so little about the grunge scene, why did they perform with Green Day and why did they chose Pearl Jam to support them in Hawaii. I know that they are friends with Seattle band Smashing Pumpkins. So maybe he didn't direct his comment at these bands in particular and neither did he mean to slate Webber. He is a student compared to Webber and he should see one of his productions and take note.

As for Crowded House's lyrics, although I do like some of their music they are not worthy to be mentioned in the same sentence as him. Just because you don't like something, it doesn't make it crap. Who are you to say that "well I don't like it therefore it's no good". Look at them with the big ego. I am disapointed with Pink Folyd because I thought they had a bit more about them (and wasn't their film The Wall a type of Musical?) Opera lite is a comment that Donna Sotto Morrietini made about Broadway/Vanderville music styles but I don't get opera. I have nothing against the performers in general but I don't understand why people want to listen to something where they can't even understand the language and was written in the middle ages so it means nothing in 2009. To me Musical Theatre has a lot more relevence to it because at least I can understand what they are singing about. Plus any ALW production will have just as much relevence as any 80's/70's U2 or Pink Floyd song because they were written in the same period and not hundreds of years ago.

Oh and U2 fanatic you wouldn't feel that way if you'd lost your job because the company you worked for went into administration, taking your company pension as it falls into bankrupcy. The country falls deeper into recession and your prospects of getting a job look slimmer every day. You fall behind with your mortgage repayments/rent and you could end up forced onto the streets living in a cardboard box. Then you may find the idea of some lazy bone idol "singer" who is too lazy to do a retake driving home from the recording studio in their Merc to their seaside villa as a total insult. They sit on their arse whilst they've got their skivvy's running aroud after them and an engineer back all the studio who's doing more work than they are but getting far less for it. So don't you mock me, you naughty idecorous oaf.

um name calling is totally uncalled for and I don't APPRECIATE it.:mad:

Cactus Annie,

There are more than enough ways to have a rational discussion and get your point across without constantly spitting anger left and right and personally attacking other members.

I think this thread has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom