He's criticised our National Icon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still can't get my head around the idea that Andrew Lloyd Webber is a national icon.

For the sake of your own sanity, I'd avoid the UK like the plague for a while if I were you,even Simon Cowell is revered like a god....so the Andrew Lloyd Webber worship seems only mildly annoying in comparison.,....

First of all, Edge didn't point his finger at anyone, so I really don't understand why someone would read into his comments as some kind of insult to Webber.
Second of all, he has every right to state his opinion. If he thinks that musicals have been shit ever since the 60's then he has every right to say so.
This board is full of people stating their opinions all the time.... about lyrics, about performances, about album that has not been released yet.... so, yeah - i think he has every right to say what he thinks about the musicals.

I still can't get my head around the idea that Andrew Lloyd Webber is a national icon.

Well I'm not sure he is a national icon to be honest, that seems to be more of an idea promoted by the press. I mean he's certainly talented and popular, but I don't think he's quite as adored as people would like you to think.

Stephen Fry's a good example of a modern national icon, both the press and the public love him to bits.

Well I'm not sure he is a national icon to be honest, that seems to be more of an idea promoted by the press. I mean he's certainly talented and popular, but I don't think he's quite as adored as people would like you to think.

Stephen Fry's a good example of a modern national icon, both the press and the public love him to bits.

QFT. He's an all around guy.

Even better - did you pick up on Adam's little dig at the U2 internet community?? He basically said whoever listened to those beach clips had far too much time on their hands. :angry:

And btw I'm British and I can't stand Andrew Lloyd Webber, one of my favourite lines of a Roger Waters song is from his solo album 'Amused to Death' :

'we cower in our shelters, with our fingers in our ears
Lloyd Webber's awful stuff runs for years and years and years and years
all of a sudden an earthquake hits the theatre but the operata lingers
but then the piano lid comes crashing down and breaks his fucking fingers
Its a miracle"

Nuff' said.

Adam is just being snooty.

Which is easy. :yawn:

In this months Q magazine when Edge was asked about the Spiderman Musical he was quoted as saying "Not wishing to offend anybody, I think musicals had their hay day in the 40's, 50's and 60's. I don't think there's been anything written since then". Do you think this was a dig at Andrew Lloyd Webber? He is a Sir but in Britain he is known as The Lord.

I know some of you hecks think that U2 are beyond criticism, and I do love them else I wouldn't have signed up to this forum, but I happen to think that Webber is an extreamely talanted man. I've never been interested in money. As long as I have enough money to pay the rent, my bills, food and the occassional treat now and again, I'm happy. But if I had just one wish it would be tickets to watch just one of his productions in Broadway or even just the West End. Who cannot be moved by Elaine Paige singing Memories whilst dressed as a cat.

Do you know what's the biggest selling single in Britain by an Irish artist? No it's not a U2 single, it's a song called No Matter What which was writen by Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber performed by Boyzone.

And no I'm not joking. He really has upest me.

I'm sorry he upset you.

I think they're many different ways of looking at a situation. Well, two at least.

Andrew Lloyd Webber comes in for a lot of criticism because he is so successful. And he's a pretty easy target. This kind of snobbery is very English and I have heard a lot of it.

I also remember meeting a very musical girl at some kind of acting class I was taking, VERY musical girl and very talented. And she just went to the piano and sang and played and sang Andrew Lloyd Webber songs and went on and on and on about the 'beautiful' music. She had also attended a school I went to that was known for it's music department, alot of people went there on music scholarships and some seriously talented musicians came out of that place.

So she had some 'pedigree'.

And seeing that made me think. On the one hand there are all the jealous snobs who can't stand seeing him be so successful and on the other hand there are people who just FEEL he has given them so much. Enriched their lives.

And yes, 'memories' is a beautiful song. And Elaine Paige is an incredible performer.

You are completely entitled to your 'opinion' and your feelings. :)

Oh! and I hope you get to see one of his shows. Not on Broadway, way too expensive and I don't think he has anything playing there at the moment. And don't see Phantom or Starlight Express :)barf:) go see Cats.

And enjoy it! :hug:

He didnt even mention The Lord. However his comments are obviously ridiculous as there have been many many superb musicals in the last few decades, over here in the West End and on Broadway. He wasn't even alive to see any in the years he was talking about, so how can he really give a fair comment? Perhaps he's just been seeing the wrong musicals :shrug:

:up: There are always great shows (musicals/operas etc) for people who are interested and make an effort to do the research and go see 'em.

People with too much time on their hands if you will. :giggle:

(This is just ignorance.)

That's 'cause they all want another Oscar Wilde.

Stephen Fry is so over-rated.

(Morrissey comes closer.)

I saw 'Avenue Q', well about 5 minutes of it before I ran out of the theatre.

It was pathetic! I can't handle puppets. (why did I just watch ANOTHER 2 minutes?)

How did you manage to go see it without realizing the whole show was a bunch of puppets?

How did you manage to go see it without realizing the whole show was a bunch of puppets?

Okay. REALLY good question.

And believe me I kicked myself from here (there) to kingdom come! :banghead: :no:

I was in New York on a sort of whirlwind trip and determined to see EVERY decent show I could. For the most part I did the research and read the reviews but I couldn't always find reviews for the shows that were playing. So I asked alot of people but it always seems like no one really knows, or maybe I was asking the wrong people. I relied a little to much on the concierge in my hotel for this one. HE said it won a Tony (or several) and I didn't know the show at all. On the way there I was so wrapped up in my own thoughts that I didn't even look at the posters outside the theatre.

Oh and I had a really good seat! When the show started and they came out on stage, I GROANED inwardly and my heart just sank.

I really tried to watch it (it was really expensive) but I just couldn't. I ran
out of the theatre (like like I said) and headed straight to the nearest bar (for a coffee!!!)

I just had to chalk that one up to experience (and a reasonable funny anecdote :wink:)

Personally, I like thinking of the UK National Icon to be more along the lines of Churchill or a bulldog.

is there any difference hurr

Tonnes of difference, both had more talent and looks than ALW :lol:

Damn you Edge :madwife: I was looking forward to a U2 musical to blow Mamma Mia away :lol:

you're comparing churchill and thatcher? that's brave.

Ear wotchit :madwife: Thatcher had more balls than our PM's since! Least she stood up for us instead the plebs we have since had

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom