Help my U2 argument

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Beatles and Radiohead went into previously unexplored areas, practically inventing genres. U2 just rocked a bit harder with some more modern production. At least that's how it looks to me.

No one in 2000 can invent anything new in music. The members of Radiohead have pretty obscure taste, so I'm sure it's pretty easy to mistake albums like Kid A for entirely new avenues in modern music, but yeah...I don't think so.

No one in 2000 can invent anything new in music. The members of Radiohead have pretty obscure taste, so I'm sure it's pretty easy to mistake albums like Kid A for entirely new avenues in modern music, but yeah...I don't think so.

What if I got 2 coconuts and started banging 'em together? No one's ever done that....UNTIL NOW!

Oasis B sides are better than everyone else's A-side bar u2 and the beatles

I have them all and The masterplan(song)- how was that only a b-side?

half the world away is pure classic!

U2 b-sides - i only have a few, not too keen on them.

I respect your love for Oasis, but I heard them right as they came out. Immediately their arrogance showed through from the moment they opened their mouths. That was already a turn-off. Then the first song MTV played was their cover of a Beatles' song. And they claimed they were better than the Beatles! So wait, they are better than the Beatles, yet their first song on MTV is a Beatles' cover? Tongue-in-cheek aside, it was a bit much.

Nonetheless, Oasis' first album was solid and remains my favorite.

After that, they didn't really change much in sound or style. As I wrote before with Radiohead, I hear more of a natural progression in sound rather than an outright shift. Few bands/artists make such a shift in sound while staying in the same genre of music. U2 is one such band - and remarkably enough, one band where fans not only accepted U2's newer sounds, but demanded them!

As I listen to recent Oasis, I'm not hearing anything remarkable. While U2's b-sides vary in quality (some are brilliant and arguably a-side material, while others might have been better off left in the vault), given that Oasis' recent a-side material is just O.K., I have trouble accepting that their b-side material is that brilliant. Still, I respect your opinions, even if I disagree.

Enjoy Oasis! :wave:

Yes, But Oasis got the Lifetime award as well- this is more like it

YouTube - Oasis - Cigarettes & Alcohol at Brit Awards

Ok - Liam sounds a bit off but hey - thats part of the appeal - normal blokes making it to the top!

Jesus Christ.

I'll raise you that (and probably any other live Oasis clip, I can't stand watching that utter tosser Liam) with this:

YouTube - U2 - I Threw A Brick/A Day Without Me Live in Werchter

No lights. No screens. No visuals. Bono losing his voice, second album, not what is recognized by most as a classic (they're wrong), what, 3 years into their career??

Fuck Oasis.

Ok GVOX

If thats Bono on 2nd LP- then he sounds good. He does most times. Liam is an advert for NO Smoking now most of the time but he has improved since the 2005 tour, he has made an effort now.

I raise you this! Here is Liam 2nd LP - the legend in amazing form. No fancy lights etc and no dancing on stage!
YouTube - Oasis-Cast No Shadow-live maine road 96

and he still has some left in the tank
this is 2008 on great form

YouTube - Oasis - Champagne Supernova - Electric Proms - 26-Oct-2008

The Oasis tunes are better, thats what matters most!

Why try and overcomplicate their music?

Is it to try and act cool and say "oh, U2 are so diverse, normal people wouldnt get it" This isnt Pitchfork!

What is there to get?

They make simple rock n roll tunes!

U2 - pre JT i wont rate as i'm still getting into the albums but they sound good. Boy sounds a bit rubbish though

JT - 9.5/10
R&H - 7/10
AB - 9.6/10
z- 5/10
Pop - 9/10
ATYCLB - 7.5/10 - too many fillers
HTDAAB - 8.5 - much better effort

Oasis =

DM - 10/10
WTSMG - 10/10
BHN - 10/10
The Masterplan - 10/10
SOTSOG - 8/10
Heathen Chem - 7.5 - good album, but the worst
DBTT - 9/10
Dig Out Your Soul - 9.5/10 Nature of Reality only 'good' song - rest are immense

I've seen both live and i say it was even
different experience at U2- more calmer
Oasis gig is a site of plimgrimage- everyone going mental worshipping GOD (a.k.a. Noely G)

:lol: Obvious bias in that message!

Personally, I think Oasis are one of the most arrogant bands ever, especially Liam and Noel, they think that they could get U2 to support them in Ireland? They think they are better than the Beatles? Man I hate Liam and Noel. :wink:

Anyway,

Edge > Oasis. :wink:

I don't even know what i'm talking about now. :wink:

Its not arrogance in a bad way like rappers do - But anyways, if you were a rockstar with millions in the bank its hard to say you would not change!

Its self belief - they came from nowhere, beaten up by their dad and no jobs

they said they were going to be massive and make top tunes and they did it

THIS is one of Noel's earliest songs - way before Oasis were formed

YouTube - Oasis Going Nowhere
AMAZING

If you can look beyond the people in the band, I think you'll like the music
As i said, Oasis and U2 are similar to me

Both amazing

Back
Top Bottom