Help my U2 argument

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh and please don't compare U2 with Oasis. They are really world's apart.

Other than the fact that Oasis are slightly better i dont see too many differences in the music :yes:

I have all the albums from both bands and see many similarities in style and sound

The main difference being, Oasis promote the idea of looking out for yourself, which i agree with and U2 present this idea of looking out for the world, which i tend to ignore :wink:

Other than the fact that Oasis are slightly better i dont see too many differences in the music :yes:

I have all the albums from both bands and see many similarities in style and sound

The main difference being, Oasis promote the idea of looking out for yourself, which i agree with and U2 present this idea of looking out for the world, which i tend to ignore :wink:

WOW :shocked:

This is just laughable on all fronts...

Got a good laugh out of that, well what did you expect from a user who has Oasis as his most favourite band? :wink:

Sorry that was uncalled for. Much better use logic in this situation :)

Also Boy.

The main difference between their sound is surely the fact that U2 CREATED their own sound (many times over) and Oasis just copied The Beatles, The Stones and Sex Pistols (any many more). Liam can't sing a note anymore and Noel hasnt written a decent song in years.

We are all laughing at you.

I've said this in an old thread, and I wish to repeat it again.

Oasis are just a poor mans Beatles. :wink:

I like Oasis alot, but to me, ever since Be Here Now, they've been treading water.

I think the main problem has always been their reluctance to change, people get bored so quickly these days, always looking for the new and leaving behind the old and I think at some point the industry just moved on without them. I think they've slipped beneath the radar.

I think the casual listener feels that if you've heard one Oasis song, you've heard them all, and they'd be justified in thinking that, Shock Of The Lightning is a decent track, but it sounds like exactly the kind of thing Oasis has done many times before.

Bono was smart in realising that after Rattle and Hum, U2 needed to re-think the whole outfit, new sound, new image, whole new approach, it was the only way to remain relevant and creatively inspired. This is what Oasis should have done after Be Here Now, I think it would have given the band a fresh shot in the arm and potentially made them even bigger, but that's just not Liam and Noel, the idea of changing or experimenting seems to make them uncomfortable.

I also agree with Vlad that UF, JT, AB, Zooropa, Pop are all great records.

Yeah, but U2 have made more than one album.

Why try and overcomplicate their music?

Is it to try and act cool and say "oh, U2 are so diverse, normal people wouldnt get it" This isnt Pitchfork!

What is there to get?

They make simple rock n roll tunes!

U2 - pre JT i wont rate as i'm still getting into the albums but they sound good. Boy sounds a bit rubbish though

JT - 9.5/10
R&H - 7/10
AB - 9.6/10
z- 5/10
Pop - 9/10
ATYCLB - 7.5/10 - too many fillers
HTDAAB - 8.5 - much better effort

Oasis =

DM - 10/10
WTSMG - 10/10
BHN - 10/10
The Masterplan - 10/10
SOTSOG - 8/10
Heathen Chem - 7.5 - good album, but the worst
DBTT - 9/10
Dig Out Your Soul - 9.5/10 Nature of Reality only 'good' song - rest are immense

I've seen both live and i say it was even
different experience at U2- more calmer
Oasis gig is a site of plimgrimage- everyone going mental worshipping GOD (a.k.a. Noely G)

Is it to try and act cool and say "oh, U2 are so diverse, normal people wouldnt get it" This isnt Pitchfork!

What is there to get?

U2 - pre JT i wont rate as i'm still getting into the albums but they sound good. Boy sounds a bit rubbish though

JT - 9.5/10
R&H - 7/10
AB - 9.6/10
z- 5/10
Pop - 9/10

Oasis =

DM - 10/10
WTSMG - 10/10
BHN - 10/10
The Masterplan - 10/10
SOTSOG - 8/10
DBTT - 9/10
Dig Out Your Soul - 9.5/10 Nature of Reality only 'good' song - rest are immense

Oasis gig is a site of plimgrimage- everyone going mental worshipping GOD (a.k.a. Noely G)

This post is hilarious! Please keep these coming.

Only Larry would get into Oasis
He seems like a decent bloke
David Evans can be a roadie and drinking partner with the lads

Bono has his head up his own backside

Oasis are arrogant - but they are normal lads. You go for a drink with Noel and Liam and talk about the footy - Bono would bore you about how he now owns 57% of the Democratic Republic of Congo and has built a U2 tower there as well

Only Larry would get into Oasis
He seems like a decent bloke
David Evans can be a roadie and drinking partner with the lads

Bono has his head up his own backside

Oasis are arrogant - but they are normal lads. You go for a drink with Noel and Liam and talk about the footy - Bono would bore you about how he now owns 57% of the Democratic Republic of Congo and has built a U2 tower there as well

This is great, making my work day so much better.

The Beatles and Radiohead went into previously unexplored areas, practically inventing genres. U2 just rocked a bit harder with some more modern production. At least that's how it looks to me.

False. Edge has a very unique guitar tone. Quite innovative. Johnny has done some innovative stuff with Radiohead but they did not invent any new genres-just pushed pop farther by adding in some laptop and atonal vocals.

This is great, making my work day so much better.

Well try and stay away from any Radiohead tracks, might get the sack for being depressed or moaning about how the world is so messed up and that global warming is killing us all

Its freezing right now - Bring on the warming!

What is there to get?

JT - 9.5/10
R&H - 7/10
AB - 9.6/10
z- 5/10
Pop - 9/10

Oasis =

DM - 10/10
WTSMG - 10/10
BHN - 10/10
The Masterplan - 10/10
SOTSOG - 8/10
DBTT - 9/10

Agreed on the Pitchfork commentary. LOL!

Man, I LOVE Oasis.....
and you're making me laugh, cause say that WTSMG is 10/10 is just bull****. And Masterplan is one of the worst collections of B-Sides I've ever seen. There's no rea$on for it. (Check Blur's 10th anniversary box set, THAT is good!)
I get the rest, but say that R&H is 7/10, Zooropa is 5/10, ATYCLB is 7.5/10 is....just hilarious! ATYCLB is, at least, 9/10, Z is 9/10 too and R&H is 9.5/10. Oh, and HTDAAB is 9.5/10

And U2 is better than Oasis live any day of the week.

But you're making me laugh a lot here, keep it going! :D

False. Edge has a very unique guitar tone. Quite innovative. Johnny has done some innovative stuff with Radiohead but they did not invent any new genres-just pushed pop farther by adding in some laptop and atonal vocals.

Have you ever listened to Kid A? That goes way beyond laptops and atonal vocals - it's a "new" sound. I'm sure it has roots, but it's still pretty new compared to like, "Mysterious Ways."

Oasis B sides are better than everyone else's A-side bar u2 and the beatles

I have them all and The masterplan(song)- how was that only a b-side?

half the world away is pure classic!

U2 b-sides - i only have a few, not too keen on them.

What is there to get?

There's nothing wrong with just making simple rock n roll tunes, its just that I think their reluctance to really change or develop their sound has been deterimental to them and their success. Their popularity has suffered because of it as far as I can see.

Oasis were/are an extremely ambitious band, I remember both Noel and Liam saying repeatedly how they would be the biggest band in the world, but it never quite happened, I think you have to be a bit more daring and innovative in order to really achieve that.

You're a bigger fan of Oasis than U2 so you're probably a bit biased, just as I'm a bit biased in U2's favour because I like them more.

I think maybe you've scored some of those Oasis albums a bit too generously and some of those U2 albums a bit too harshly, but we're coming at it from opposite ends of the scale anyway.

Be Here Now's not 10/10 for me its more a 7 or 8, but My Big Mouth, Fade In Out and Don't Go Away are up there with the very best of the bands output IMO.

Oasis B sides are better than everyone else's A-side bar u2 and the beatles

I have them all and The masterplan(song)- how was that only a b-side?

half the world away is pure classic!

U2 b-sides - i only have a few, not too keen on them.

Oh, Oasis B-sides are amazing. I guess I wasn't clear
I hate the compliation itself....with so many amazing B-sides they come up with THAT....it sucks! They should release all of their B-Sides in a box-set or something! That would be f@#*ing great!

Definitley Maybe
WTSMG
Be Here Now
Dig Out Your Soul

Thats more than 2

U2 = JT and AB

Be Here Now sucks. Dig Out Your Soul has excellent production, but I would actually put Don't Believe The Truth ahead of it as far as songwriting goes.

U2 = War, UF, JT, and AB as far as recognized classics go.

Be Here Now sucks. Dig Out Your Soul has excellent production, but I would actually put Don't Believe The Truth ahead of it as far as songwriting goes.

U2 = War, UF, JT, and AB as far as recognized classics go.

Mel, you just don't get it, Oasis is the greatest band ever*. There is no arguing this, even Bono himself has said this. You're just going to have to give up...

*possibly tied with Rush

Back
Top Bottom