Heartland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heartland is probably in my top 5. The melancholic pulse and watery keyboards in the background are lovely and then the lift of the chorus....

And then Edges understated but insistent guitar line at the end.

Its definitely one of their best.

If it makes you feel any better, it was years before I realized what he was saying.

(Not, like, so many years that it was 2013 before I realized it, but still .... :wink: )

I wasn't thrilled with some of the new material on R&H when it came out, especially the more straight-forward WLCTT and LRM.

In its spookiness and widescreen feel, Heartland felt like a gift to the fans.

Different tastes indeed. The studio version is one of their best songs since Pop, while the live version is typical for the live "acoustic" side of this band - watered down and stripped of what made the song great in the first place.

Uh, what makes TGBHF great is bones of the song itself. It doesn't need anything else.

I'm pretty sure he meant Acrobat.

Ok, so no live heartland soundcheck during zoo tv tour, then, I suppose...

I really love the song, the vocals, (those backing vocals!), the guitar, the eno keyboards, the bass and Larry's amazing drums (that dry snare drum!!!).

It was apparently recorded during the Joshua Tree sessions (except for the lead vocals, I believe?), and it sounds a bit similar to some of the songs from those sessions.

One of their best. Wish Bono would sing like this today.

Don't think he can anymore! :D

Nah, I think Bono has sounded really great recently, especially near the end of the 360 tour. His voice nowadays though sounds much 'looser' almost, if that makes any sense. He's lost a lot of the 'grit' he had in the late 80's/90's.

There was a lot of reverb applied to Bono's voice in the production of Rattle and Hum to make his voice sound deeper and fuller.

Back
Top Bottom