Have U2 donated anything towards Haiti?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convoy

Acrobat
I was just wondering if U2 donated any money towards Haiti? A friend of mine asked earlier today and I can't seem to find anything

There hasn't been any sort of official announcement from the U2 camp.

Fine by me - not every celebrity feels the need to announce what they're doing charity-wise.

Bono and Edge have done the song with Jay-Z and Rihanna. And I assume proceeds from the digital sales will go to Haiti. So I guess that's kind of donating. Donating the gift of song?

if Bono came out and said how much he donated or if he donated, people would get on his ass for announcing his charitable donation for publicities sake.

I can't think of many times they have announced if or how much they donate... and that's pretty much the way I like it.

I have no clue which celebrities or how much anyone has donated.

Uhm, since when have U2 NOT done anything charitable for a cause? I don't even know why your friend would need to ask.

Most celebrities are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

They announce they've donated - ZOMG ATTENTION WHORES!

They don't announce anything - ZOMG SELFISH ASSHOLES!

Yep very much so, and i belive u2 are in a worse position than most.

Yep very much so, and i belive u2 are in a worse position than most.

Seriously. People are looking for a reason to hate. Just like that stupid tax thing. To some people, U2 moving part of their business out of Ireland for tax purposes = "Bono doesn't pay any taxes."

:rolleyes:

The question posed was rude, but the idea that it would take the band's action to convince someone here to do so, or that they only donate to causes the band endorses, is a little sad.

I meant follow the causes as in keep tabs on, not donate to them just because U2 does. I should have made myself more clear (if that's what you're referring to).

Very well put. I feel like this goes for U2 in just about every damn situation :(

As soon as I read the thread's title I knew
smiley-shit-hits-the-fan.gif

I think that donating to this or that cause is a conscience issue and therefore it must remain totally private if possible.

We know that Edge and Bono have donated this song and its performance because they can't avoid this to be known, the rest is nothing of our business. I must admit that I believe they have, because I know they put their money where their mouths are.

I don't see any problem asking a question like this, as it is always answered very well by posters here.

This thread proves it.

It always amazes me. People saying "U2, those goddamn hypocrites, how much of their money do they give to charity when they are out there asking everyone else."

Ignore for a second that U2 and or Bono, to my knowledge, have never asked for our money but for our voice. Bono said that numerous times introducing the one campaign on Vertigo Tour stops, and at the back of their albums, as we have all seen, they have a list of causes that you can lend your voice to in various ways. None of which require money, though I am sure plenty of people so choose to give money to organizations promoting freedom in Burma or Amnesty International. U2 does not request this.

I also never knew, until talking to these people, that U2, yes, Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam are in fact the wealthiest people in the entire universe! NO, no one in this world has more money than that washed up asshole Bono, and he has some nerve, etc, etc, we all know the BS.

Otherwise intelligent people, like one of my co workers, he is in his early 60s, knows that music today sucks and that as far as bands go, U2 is pretty damn good. He says to me at 360 "yeah, all that is nice(ONE, MLK/Burma,freedom in Iran) but I have never read about him putting his money where his mouth is."

As you all said above, since when are their tax returns public record?!!!! Just like you have no idea what your next door neighbor does with his money, you don't know what U2 does with their money. These people say this despite constant coverage of U2 giving their time, music, travel expenses, etc to numerous benefit concerts, and Bono's frequent trips to Africa and lobbying governments everywhere. Do they think Bono gets taxpayer money for this travel? Or it grows on trees? Was the money to get ONE and RED, DATA and Edun together found on a street somewhere? I am sure Bono contributed some or alot to all these efforts. Please, all this man has to do in his life is sit home and count his money, he could have been doing that since 1987.

I am 22 and that's what I tell all my clueless friends who attack U2 on these grounds. I ask them if they realize that, in the year we were born, 1987, they could have stopped making albums, pulled together a greatest hits tour every 4 years, drank and partied in between and still had all the wealth and fame anyone could ever want. Instead, they have gone out and used their wealth and fame to make the world a little bit better off than when they found it.

So we have Stranded, but given their track record, I would not be surprised if it was far, far more.

They have probably donated millions of dollars to causes and we will never have any idea about it. No problem with me.

Back
Top Bottom