has bono ever sang Pride better than this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
YouTube - U2 Lincoln Memorial Rehearsal 1-17-09

He realy went for and hit those In the Naaaaaaaame notes with more quality and confidence than I have ever heard him sing it and belted the what mores. His voice sounds so strong and full hear and I love his tone - I love it - to bad he wasnt as confident during the actual tv performance on sun and messed it up a little. He still sang it better than he had for a while though. What do u guys think

Both were pretty weak performances in comparison to the studio version. But then almost no live version of Pride equals the studio version; it's one of those rare U2 songs that is actually worse live.

Note I said "almost". Get the 31 August 1984, Wellington performance. The March 1987 performance at the Old Grey Whistle Test is also a good one.

totally the studio version is just unmatchable but I like the way he has been singing it lately - the vertigo tour was a huge improvment as I feel the song has been terrible live for pretty much the past 20 years - hear he seems to have gained some power back and knows how to hold the notes even more so than on the last leg of the vertog tour

check the popmart versions or elevation versions this is in completely different category

The falsetto part sucked...

But this is actually one of the better performances of this song in a long long time... Too bad the next day it was back to lackluster.

But I'm hopeful after seeing this rehearsal and the fact that they played it in the orginal key again, this album and tour should be pretty strong vocally.

alot of the unforgetable fire tour performances are pretty good as they sound similar to the studio version than somthing happened either he forgot how to sing it and started yelling it or only could yell it - this preformance and the last leg of the vertigo tour were some of the best in a long time. (he had problems on sunday but still hit and held the note during the chorus) - look at the slain performance (which is horrifying) he has come a long way i think from then

The falsetto part sucked...

But this is actually one of the better performances of this song in a long long time... Too bad the next day it was back to lackluster.

But I'm hopeful after seeing this rehearsal and the fact that they played it in the orginal key again, this album and tour should be pretty strong vocally.

I noticed that some people think this is in the original key - not sure how that got started but it's not true. It is a full step down, it's in the same key as it has been played for most of popmart through vertigo tours. I definitely think he sounds way stronger on these recent performances that say, for example, slane.

The rehearsal was fine, but the official performance sucked. Neither could touch the album version.

Both were pretty weak performances in comparison to the studio version. But then almost no live version of Pride equals the studio version; it's one of those rare U2 songs that is actually worse live.

Note I said "almost". Get the 31 August 1984, Wellington performance. The March 1987 performance at the Old Grey Whistle Test is also a good one.

Have to agree Pride sounds crap live almost ALL the time. But you have me intrigued here. They played Pride on the whistle test in 1987? Never seen it. I only remember them playing "In Gods Country" and "Exit". I am now going to look for it on youtube!:D

Nah can't find it!

Thanks for pointing this out, as usual "Pride" was underwhelming during the actual concert, but this version is the strongest I've heard it in awhile. BTW, I think Bono did try to sing it the same at the concert, but it just wasn't there--very tough vocal.

The rehearsal was excellent, he sang it as good as on the 12/4 Tokyo performance at the end of the Vertigo tour.

The official performance, I am still disecting as I am sort of a live Pride geek. The closest I can come to a coherent thought on this is it started out a little weak but then Bono picked it right up fast. It has sounded better and better with different listens taped from different places in the crowd. It sounded better on most 'bootlegs' than it did on the official HBO broadcast, dont know whats up with that. Well, anyway, the voice was maybe a little too high pitched and a little short on power, if the former came down and the latter up a hair, it would have matched Tokyo.

In order to get the general feel of the song, for it to be a good performance, Bono needs to hold the chorus and put a respectable amount of power into it. He did both in the rehearsal more so than the official, but he definitely still passed the test of a good vocal Pride on the official. It passed most 2005 Vertigo performances, which were pretty strong in general.

Why was the official not as strong: 1.)The cold- I would imagine, though I am no expert, that one can only do a great performance in the cold once in a span of 24-28 hrs. I know artists drink warmer water before singing, ice cold is not good for your voice and just by way of anecdote, Madonna REFUSES to sing unless in arena temperature is 85F. She actually holds up the show. So there has got to be some truth to the colder the harder on the voice theory. I kind of thought to myself when I saw the rehearsal that Bono was either overextending himself and will be flatter tomorrow as a result, but hoped he was still doing well but holding back the amazing power for tomorrow.2.)Bono the politician-I love the fact that he works within the system to affect positive change, has good things to say about America and capitalism, gets himself educated, does a damn good job at it. He will work very well with Obama and Biden. However, with all these entertainers and politicans in one place, you can be sure he did a great deal of talking before the performance! That never helps. 3.)Acoustics- not the best place anyway for a concert, and there were alot more people around and things on the stage on day 2 for the actual concert. Also, some of the speakers and sound systems may have been used throughout and were not customized to U2. Maybe they did things more their own way at the rehearsal to get used to the songs again.

Either way, at the official, looking at the crowd tapes, U2 easily got the best reception. I just loved how Pride started before the PA lady could even say "please welcome U2" to the crowd and there had already been a damn loud reaction. Then as soon they showed Bono moving toward the front of the stage w/the microphone in the air talking about MLK, the entire crowd completely erupted! It was incredible. Never forget, anyone, that despite what people say here sometimes, U2 is still universally LOVED and respected.

A friend of mine who never paid much attention to U2 and never had much of a reaction whenever I mentioned that I was a fan to her called me about an hour after the concert and said she now completely understands what I mean. So they made an impact on the crowd for sure. The best performance of Pride, either rehearsal or official, no, but damn good, yes and yes again!

Better: Tokyo 2006, Wellington and Dortmund 1984, 1986 Conspiracy of Hope, maybe a couple Zoo TV performances when Bono was really on.

Anyone happen to have an MP3 link to Wellington 1984, I would love to hear that again and U2 start has been acting up on me! May not be the place for this, but thank you so very much if you can come through with anything.

1:50 to 1:59 in this video is Unforgettable Fire smoothness meeting Lovetown power, I just noticed. Too damn bad he couldn't replicate this at the actual. However, I have plenty of confidence he will on the next tour.

How about the Rattle and Hum version, or does that not count (because it's the much maligned Rattle and Hum version)?

The tempo is good the vocals top notch... what's not to like there. Every performance since R & H seems just tired, strained. Should have retired that song from the setlist somewhere circa ZOO TV.

How about the Rattle and Hum version, or does that not count (because it's the much maligned Rattle and Hum version)?

The tempo is good the vocals top notch... what's not to like there. Every performance since R & H seems just tired, strained. Should have retired that song from the setlist somewhere circa ZOO TV.

I reckon there's some sort of pitch / tempo correction been done to the R&H version. It seems faster and Bono's voice is higher. Doesn't sound much like it did on bootlegs from the JT tour. From what I've heard, by that 3rd leg of the tour Bono's 'kermit' voice had well and truly reached ridiculous heights. But with the corrections made to Pride in R&H it isn't so noticeable.

Then again, I'm a 'conspiracy theorist' when it comes to suggesting officially released live stuff is doctored. It is something I've suggested a lot.

I reckon there's some sort of pitch / tempo correction been done to the R&H version. It seems faster and Bono's voice is higher. Doesn't sound much like it did on bootlegs from the JT tour. From what I've heard, by that 3rd leg of the tour Bono's 'kermit' voice had well and truly reached ridiculous heights. But with the corrections made to Pride in R&H it isn't so noticeable.

Then again, I'm a 'conspiracy theorist' when it comes to suggesting officially released live stuff is doctored. It is something I've suggested a lot.

Pitch correction wasn't around until 96 or 97...

Now it's possible there were overdubs, but to actually change the pitch with what they were using back then would be near impossible.

I think virtually any song recorded after 1983 is better on the album than live. Pride is especially notable because it doesn't have the nice delay effects on The Edge's guitar.

I think virtually any song recorded after 1983 is better on the album than live. Pride is especially notable because it doesn't have the nice delay effects on The Edge's guitar.

Another thing with the Pride guitar in the studio vs. live is that in the studio version there are subtle differences in each guitar part throughout the song. Whereas live there is just one sound, and seemingly lacking the same basic delay / echo at that. But I reckon the subtle differences you get throughout the song in the studio version count for a lot.

I think the Lincoln-Version was absolutly horrible.

Nothing can beat the Rattle and Hum version :drool:

I noticed that some people think this is in the original key - not sure how that got started but it's not true. It is a full step down, it's in the same key as it has been played for most of popmart through vertigo tours. I definitely think he sounds way stronger on these recent performances that say, for example, slane.

Probably because COBL was played in the original key. Perhaps people got the songs messed up.
The album version of Pride was in A right?

I liked this version, but the vocals not so much. Perhaps it was the cold, perhaps his voice, I don't know. But I've heard better, and as it's been said before, a lot of '84 shows are pretty good. And ofcourse the R&H version was great!

Here is my list:

- 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford - This is an amazing version, close the the origianl, but the chours inst as long as the studio version.
YouTube - U2--MLK- Pride //Conspiracy Of Hope Tour//Part 1/5

- 1997-04-25 - Las Vegas - This one is one of the strangest version of the song, the band starts to play it and Bono realise that they play it to fast but the other in the band dosnt matter and contunie to play fast so Bono just take the job have give his all.
YouTube - Pride (live from Popmart Las Vegas)

- There where a few ones on Vertigo tour also

I think Rattle And Hum is realy weak, he screams and dosnt it hild it at all. Old Grey Whistle Test isnt sing correctly but the play it in its original key.

We should know that the Chours is one of his highest and hardest to sing. When Bono sang it when they record the studio version he lost his voice that day. Also it is very hard for him to get that sound again, becuase he had a very young light voice back in 1984.

I love the Rattle and Hum version, its an absolute blinder, I don't understand why anyone would say any different.

Rehearsal version was good, but the actual performance was a little weak due to Bono's voice. COBL, on the other hand, was great. Bono tried hard and had a lot of passion, he just couldn't pull of Pride properly. May have been the cold, whatever. Still, a lot of passion in both performances, I liked it.

The rehearsal was great and I also like the inauguration performance a lot. Really don't know what's so bad about it. They did a better job with Pride then they did since 1986/1987. Studio version is unmatchable which is a fact.

Probably because COBL was played in the original key. Perhaps people got the songs messed up.
The album version of Pride was in A right?

Sort of - basically at this performance, both Pride and COBL are played in the key of A major. The studio key for Pride is B major, while the studio key for COBL is A flat major. Therefore, at this performance Pride was played lower than the studio key(but the same as all recent live performances) but COBL was actually played a half step higher than the studio and key.

Maybe that's why COBL sounded so fresh to me!

At the old grey whistle test, Pride is played in the original key, see the link on the previous page.

Studio version is always the best performance of Pride. I love the documentary on the Slane DVD, where you can clearly see the incredible committment, energy and vocal power demonstrated by Bono during the recording process. (I also love the dry wit from either Brian Eno or Edge - after a take so intense that Bono nearly has an aneurysm, someone says something like 'Could you do that with a bit more passion?'!)

COH version of Pride is his best Pride performance, even better than studio version imo. His inauguration performance was weaker comparing to Vertigo Tour versions, but on some moments he sounded very good

Back
Top Bottom