Has Bono Ever Publicly Apologized For Anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redhill

Refugee
I don't mean apologizing to the US audiences for their more experimental work in the 90's (which is a ridiculous thing to apologize for BTW.)

I'm talking about something of significance that he personally did that he later felt as wrong and apologized for it on camera or in print, etc.

...like what?

...like anything.

That's the point is that I could not think of anything...

He never apologized that I am aware of for the graffiti "rock and roll stops the traffic" but I'm not sure it was necessarily called for.

He also did not publicly apologize that I am aware of for dropping the F bomb on TV... not that I think he needed to do so for that either...

Oh wait...he did apologize for the mullet inspiring all those soccer players!

But has there been something relatively serious he ever apologized for?

You're just begging for this answer aren't you?

Any album or single that doesn't sell well.

Because...as we all know, if Discotheque is a #1 hit then suddenly everything changes for POP. This illogic brought to you courtesy of Apologist Bono.

Sorry, had to.

Are we even sure The Bono is capable of humility?

But seriously, he did get pissed at the SF (read: San Fransisco) sign during the concert shown on R&H. Because he thought it meant Sinn Fein.

I'm sure he apologized for that but I don't know that he did.

He has many too many apologetic comments about that era as of the last decade to get into it but one example would be during the Elevation era just before "Stay."

You're gonna have to refresh my memory, I looked up a few youtubes from that era and none of them had anything...

u2-sweetest-thing-video.jpg

redhill said:
Busy at the moment...but I'm sure you can find it....

Nice way to derail the thread tho!

:huh: I was just trying to figure out what you were talking about... Jeeesus

I've just never heard of him or any of them apologizing for the 90s.

:huh: I was just trying to figure out what you were talking about... Jeeesus

I've just never heard of him or any of them apologizing for the 90s.

I'm sorry. I was being a grump. Am I getting old?!

I don't have a link but during that tour he would say to American audiences (right before "Stay" - in a bit of an apologetic tone) that it was during that period that they got all artsy and experimental "on ya."

I'm sure someone else here remembers!

Ah, but this tour he said something about "it's nice/good to experiment" or something ... I think. Didn't he? Before one of the new songs at a European 2010 show?

If so, then I think that means he's taking back that 2001 apology. :wink:

Also:

:lol: Perfect.

redhill said:

I don't have a link but during that tour he would say to American audiences (right before "Stay" - in a bit of an apologetic tone) that it was during that period that they got all artsy and experimental "on ya."

It sounds like you're assigning tone. I think this whole "apologize for the 90's" is a little over-fabricated in here.

That's why I was asking, I've seen too many just fall for this notion without really being able to produce reason.

It sounds like you're assigning tone. I think this whole "apologize for the 90's" is a little over-fabricated in here.

That's why I was asking, I've seen too many just fall for this notion without really being able to produce reason.

But in your last post you stated that "I was just trying to figure out what you were talking about... Jeeesus"

That is why I got irritated...because I instinctively knew you were trying to discredit me...which you subsequently lied about and are now admitting that you had a different motive.

Pound sand.

Why would he apologize for the 90s if stellar artists like Morrissey still pay tribute to that period?

What he HAS publicly apologized for isn't much tbh, hardly anything at all considering he's been in the public eye for over 30 years. What fans THINK he should apologize for is a whole different can of worms and would probably fill 10 pages with back and forth ("tax dodging", Spider-Man, playing it creatively safe in the 00's, guyliner...:D)

What he HAS publicly apologized for isn't much tbh, hardly anything at all considering he's been in the public eye for over 30 years. What fans THINK he should apologize for is a whole different can of worms and would probably fill 10 pages with back and forth ("tax dodging", Spider-Man, playing it creatively safe in the 00's, guyliner...:D)

You mean some real discussion about the actual question at hand? On Interference?!:applaud:

I do remember this. I believe it was a show at MSG during elevation that he said exactly that. (possibly in there with acoustic SATS).

I wouldn't call it an apology as in "sorry for putting out shit music", it was more of "hey i know we lost a lot of you guys last decade because of our experimentation, but this song is a diamond in the rough from that decade, so give it a shot"

Another sort of apology for the direction of the 90's would be the POPMART Mexico speech before ISHWILF.

We're restless folks, aren't we, The Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom