Has Bono Ever Publicly Apologized For Anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But in your last post you stated that "I was just trying to figure out what you were talking about... Jeeesus"

That is why I got irritated...because I instinctively knew you were trying to discredit me...which you subsequently lied about and are now admitting that you had a different motive.

Pound sand.

No dude, I wasn't trying to discredit you, I just wanted to see if this notion is really over fabricated or if Bono really has said something like that, you said he has so I just wanted to see what you were talking about. This is a completely moronic back and forth. This thread IS about apologizing. You claimed he apologized but are now hesitant to show anyone because you think it's some conspiracy to discredit you? :doh:

If you can't stick to the topic of your own thread then I'm not sure what else to say... sometimes I think interference is slowly losing it as a whole, day by day. Maybe it has something to do with the light blue background.

I think interference is slowly losing it as a whole, day by day. Maybe it has something to do with the light blue background.

I think its cos its been 39 months since the last album, and normally by this point we have a good idea when the next one will be along.

Before I add anything to this conversation, I want to make sure everyone understands:

Apologies are not just statements of regret or asking for forgiveness or whatever...they are also justifications, explanations and excuses. It comes from "apologia", which is Greek for making a defense. That's why I've called the blinded fanboys and fangirls around here "apologists" for years. It's just another way of saying 'excuse-makers'.

So redhill, is this what you're getting at with the 90's comment? Bono making excuses?
Because if you don't clarify, they'll 'semantics' you to death.

Pound sand.

While I know I should never appear to condone insults, I have to say, I do appreciate those old-school insults.

I have no idea what "pound sand" even means (I always picture some skinny teenaged boy in swim trunks, kneeling on the sand and punching it), but it makes me laugh.

:hmm: I always thought it referred to running, and in turn, leaving. As an insult, in other words: Get lost.

Before I add anything to this conversation, I want to make sure everyone understands:

Apologies are not just statements of regret or asking for forgiveness or whatever...they are also justifications, explanations and excuses. It comes from "apologia", which is Greek for making a defense. That's why I've called the blinded fanboys and fangirls around here "apologists" for years. It's just another way of saying 'excuse-makers'.

So redhill, is this what you're getting at with the 90's comment? Bono making excuses?
Because if you don't clarify, they'll 'semantics' you to death.

Once again, I don't recall what Bono said before Stay, but if it's what Brooklyn states then it still doesn't fit into your definition of apology. I think U2 escpecially Bono are proud of the work they did in the 90's. Nothing has really shown me otherwise. They may not play anything from Pop on a regular basis, but honestly I think leaving that tour we all kind of knew that would happen. Just like I don't think anything NLOTH will get heavy rotation on any upcoming tours. :shrug:

that's a strange way to apologize... is it not?

Or is that too "apologist?"

Saying Zooropa was strange is apologist? Isn't the fact Zooropa is "arty" the reason a lot of fans like Zooropa?

I must use this the next time I fight with the old lady.

"I'm not an arse, I'm just being arty."

This thread is ridiculous. Really? Bono doesn't have anything to apologize for, not even the lyrics of New York or leaving The Fly off of the Best of.

This is inane.

:doh:

I love Interference today because it has finally helped me understand Internet forums.

In one sense it does not even matter what the thread was about.

The predominating information gleaned relates to lessons in human interaction amongst the various personality types and all of the dysfunction that goes along with it.

Sorta like the movie "The Mist" is not really about the monsters in the mist and instead is a case study in human behavior in a group setting during end of the world scenarios / crisis situations.

BTW, an example of this pseudo-apology before "Stay" can be found at the Buffalo gig during the Elevation tour (I was there.) In listening back, brooklynmike's take seems more accurate than mine.

I do think it is ridiculous to be anything but endlessly proud of their brave and bold efforts in the 90's. I liked it better when they were subverting the mainstream instead of trying to become part of it (leading instead of following.)

If anything, IMO, they did publicly scapegoat Julie Taymor pretty harshly even if she had lost the thread to a degree. I think they owe her a personal apology even if Spiderman is doing well.

Sometimes I wish I were studying sociology or something like that. It must be fascinating to study internet interactions and discussions.

Or really depressing, but definitely fascinating, too!

I think one could write a whole dissertation about U2 fans. :wink:

:huh: I was just trying to figure out what you were talking about... Jeeesus

I've just never heard of him or any of them apologizing for the 90s.

That's because they never did that. "We got a bit arty in the 90's" isn't apologizing for anything, it was merely stating a fact (ie, being arty as opposed to the straightfoward songwriting on ATYCLB).

In this video he's defending their becoming arty, and encouraging people to go that direction themselves. "You can find some cool shit." When he says "arty", he is attributing it to others, and then telling then that it's not necessarily a bad thing.

That being said, I don't think we should assume that Brooklyn Mike is lying or wrong. That's just mean and overly cynical.

I wish U2 would play a full band version of Stay and have Edge play the guitar parts from the record, with the same effects because they are wild. One of his best showings.

:ohmy: ^ did someone say I was lying? :wink:

I guess the argument in the thread comes down partially to semantics? Are we talking loose sort of apology (in my opinion, like POPMART Mexico), or a true, heartfelt "sorry". I'm not aware of any true, heartfelt apologies, as their probably hasn't been a need for it.

I will say though, at one of the shows in Jersey or NY in 2001, there was certainly a stronger "loose apology" at at least one show I attended. The video I posted above was very very loose.

At the end of the day, they should have apologized that it was only Bono/ Edge acoustic and not full band awesome like Zoo TV :drool:

Don't forget that tone says more than words ever could...and that actions speak louder than words.

It is irrefutable that the 90's era has not been represented very strongly (to put it mildly) during the 3 tours in the 00's excluding the 360 tour after and around the time the Achtung Baby deluxe / remaster was being released.

That speaks volumes in and of itself.

I'm convinced that the OP is Larry Mullen and is trying to find out if Bono ever apologized for stealing a bunch of his weed on ZooTV.

It is irrefutable that the 90's era has not been represented very strongly (to put it mildly) during the 3 tours in the 00's excluding the 360 tour after and around the time the Achtung Baby deluxe / remaster was being released.

really?

No, not really. Achtung Baby is the most representative of all the old albums in the last three tours (only in the last two tours, 9 songs were played off it), Zooropa got two songs on the 360 tour, which is same as Atomic Bomb for instance, although the latter one admittedly was more frequent. Pop was fairly represented on the first 2 legs of the Elevation tour, with somewhat scarcer appearances in the 3rd leg. Not to mention Miss Sarajevo being a regular on both 360 and Vertigo and even Your Blue Room had an appearance. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me also had a comeback in 2010/2011.

Even without taking that into consideration, the whole argument as to if the band doesn't play much from this period makes him instantly apologetic about it does not make any sense whatsoever.

Yeah, apparently Redhill has forgotten that the encore on the Vertigo tour was pretty AB rich. And they even played some Pop songs on that tour, which can't be said about 360 sadly.

As for the whole graffiti incident of "Rock N Roll Stops the Traffic" during the Joshua Tree tour Bono brought out the artist whose sculpture he spray painted that on and let him spray paint the Joshua Tree cloth that adorned the stage.

Yeah, apparently Redhill has forgotten that the encore on the Vertigo tour was pretty AB rich. And they even played some Pop songs on that tour, which can't be said about 360 sadly.

They played Discotheque two times (in my mind the best live version there was of that song) in Toronto and Chicago in 2005. They were planning a Pop-themed encore to replace the Achtung Baby one, since they were soundchecking Mofo and even parts of Velvet Dress around that period. Pop Muzik was played over the PA before Discotheque in Toronto.

Anyways, that didn't work out so they decided to do the excruciatingly boring acoustic encores instead with, among others, The First Time and Wild Horses - you guessed it, 90s songs.

There is an earpiece recording of them soundchecking Mofo in Toronto, of which a full version will probably never see the light of day (internet). That's easily one of my U2 holy grails.

There is an earpiece recording of them soundchecking Mofo in Toronto, of which a full version will probably never see the light of day (internet). That's easily one of my U2 holy grails.

Good lord.

Why have I never heard this? Are you saying that there exists even a snippet of this?

That Toronto Mofo soundcheck sounded pretty cool, if I remember correctly. I wish I knew where to find it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom