Has Bono Ever Publicly Apologized For Anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, you really like pulling out isolated examples to distort a complete picture.

you mean my examples are more isolated than a speech before 'Stay'?

The fact that you cite "One" as an example shoots your credibility in and of itself. Zooropa is also a poor example because the band clearly did not rehearse that song enough or play it enough times during the 90's to really give it a chance to "work."

My credibility? I think "One" has been as good as, or better, than the Zoo TV version for years. That somehow means i'm dishonest? Is my opinion "fake"? Oh, I get it, your opinion is better than mine. Why don't you just come out an say it.

Of course you don't mention MW at all because that song was given a complete lobotomy for the 360 tour (especially Larry's dumbed down drumbeat.

Love MW. The reworking they did in 2001 is definitive in my ears. Complete rebirth. Better than 97, 93, or 92.

Finally, yes, "Gone" was played a lot more convincingly during Popmart although it was cool that they were still doing it on the Elevation tour. Edge kicking his guitar should tell you how well he thought it was going over though...

How well they thought it was going? I like it cause I like it. It ripped on the Elevation Tour. It's not even close. They played that song better in '01 than they did in 97/98.

They didn't play Gloria in 09, 10, or 11. Does that mean the performance I heard in Cleveland 2005 is viewed by the band as a failure?

They were wrong - and I think you may be have been one of them - because they said, and I paraphrase, that anyone who thinks U2 didn't vastly favour the 80s over the 90s (6 albums vs 4, btw, and if you don't count OST 1 then they played much less from the 90s) is a moron 90s fanboy when in fact U2 played 2.4 times more songs from the 80s. That's a resounding victory for the age of Mullet.

It's a fact that U2 played much more from the 90s than 80s, for whatever reason, and I don't recall saying anything about reasons because I don't care to engage about speculation (though I think the reason has nil to do with 6 vs 4 albums and much to do with HITS).

What?

Did you just change your position again? Like 2 times in 1 post? 80s/90s? No speculation eh, followed by your very own speculation?

you mean my examples are more isolated than a speech before 'Stay'?

My credibility? I think "One" has been as good as, or better, than the Zoo TV version for years. That somehow means i'm dishonest? Is my opinion "fake"? Oh, I get it, your opinion is better than mine. Why don't you just come out an say it.

Love MW. The reworking they did in 2001 is definitive in my ears. Complete rebirth. Better than 97, 93, or 92.

How well they thought it was going? I like it cause I like it. It ripped on the Elevation Tour. It's not even close. They played that song better in '01 than they did in 97/98.

They didn't play Gloria in 09, 10, or 11. Does that mean the performance I heard in Cleveland 2005 is viewed by the band as a failure?

The point about 80's vs. 90's overall representation live during the 3 tours in the 00's has already been factually proven.

So, moving on from that, I have to say I find your taste questionable in regards to live U2 and would question anyone who thought One live was generally better over the last few years than during the ZOO days.

You are entitled to your opinion, as they say, but I personally can't understand how anyone who has listened to a lot of live U2 could think that.

MW better in 01? Really? Bono's vocal style and voice fit that song like a glove during the Zoo tour and I don't think it ever matched it quite so perfectly since.

Larry's drumming was still militant and tight but had a new groove and funkiness to it and he never did seem to capture that again (for that song, live.) In fact, for me, that song during the Zoo tour is probably the best example of Larry's growth as a drummer during that era.

And, yes, of course I like my opinion better than yours. That is why it is my opinion.

And, yes, of course I like my opinion better than yours. That is why it is my opinion.

Don't sell yourself short. I'm very aware you like your opinion. My opinion has no "credibility", remember? It's almost like it doesn't even exist.

For the record, I like a lot of U2 music from all three of the last decades.

In fact, my favorite album is UF.

Overall, I do like the 90's studio output better than the 00's but that does not make me a "90's fanboy."

Don't sell yourself short. I'm very aware you like your opinion. My opinion has no "credibility", remember? It's almost like it doesn't even exist.

I have to say that that is a difficult opinion to understand - about thinking One has been better live over the last few years than it was during Zoo.

Has it been the shit vocals or uninspired delivery you like best? Adam added a couple new notes to the bass-line but I really can't think of how it has been improved live.

Even Bono recently said during "From the Sky Down" that sometimes now, they just play it.

The Bono from the 80's or 90's would have slapped him for doing that.

Interestingly, I can only think of 3 inspired versions of that song since the 90's and none of them were at proper (part of a tour) U2 gig.

I have to say that that is a difficult opinion to understand - about thinking One has been better live over the last few years than it was during Zoo.

Has it been the shit vocals or uninspired delivery you like best? Adam added a couple new notes to the bass-line but I really can't think of how it has been improved live.

Even Bono recently said during "From the Sky Down" that sometimes now, they just play it.

The Bono from the 80's or 90's would have slapped him for doing that.

Well, you would know better than me. I'm just a goober who likes what he hears. I guess I like the shit part. The really crappy part. I'm kinda surprised you're still engaging me considering my opinion on music has no credibility. It's not often you get told your opinion has no value, then get asked for your opinion. It's very strange actually. Why do you care what I think? You've already said it doesn't matter? What part do you like? I'll like that part.

Well, you would know better than me. I'm just a goober who likes what he hears. I guess I like the shit part. The really crappy part. I'm kinda surprised you're still engaging me considering my opinion on music has no credibility. It's not often you get told your opinion has no value, then get asked for your opinion. It's very strange actually. Why do you care what I think? You've already said it doesn't matter? What part do you like? I'll like that part.

You have been trying to discredit me the entire thread and now you want to play the victim?

I think it's pertinent to remember redhill also thought Morrissey was hinting U2 would play more 90s songs in the last leg of 360 because he played a Lou Reed song at one of his shows.

I think it's pertinent to remember redhill also thought Morrissey was hinting U2 would play more 90s songs in the last leg of 360 because he played a Lou Reed song at one of his shows.

And then of course also worth mentioning that a mod closed the thread immediately after I proved the point (and did make mention that the personal attacks were a little ridiculous.)

In fact, they all but ruin these Forums.

And then of course also worth mentioning that a mod closed the thread immediately after I proved the point (and did make mention that the personal attacks were a little ridiculous.)

In fact, they all but ruin these Forums.

really? the personal attacks were ridiculous? Your thinking Morrissey playing Lou Reed was an omen for the U2 tour setlist doesn't qualify as ridiculous? The personal attacks are ridiculous?

If I eat toast for breakfast tomorrow it means my son will have a hang nail in January 2015, and my car will have a flat on August 28th 2012.

My saying that isn't ridiculous? The fact someone would call that ridiculous is ridiculous?

really? the personal attacks were ridiculous? Your thinking Morrissey playing Lou Reed was an omen for the U2 tour setlist doesn't qualify as ridiculous? The personal attacks are ridiculous?

If I eat toast for breakfast tomorrow it means my son will have a hang nail in January 2015, and my car will have a flat on August 28th 2012.

My saying that isn't ridiculous? The fact someone would call that ridiculous is ridiculous?

You have already been proved wrong once. Why not call it a day? I won't be re-hashing that subject in this thread anyway.

Something for you to chew on though once you clean the vomit out of your mouth:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Indeed my friend.

Indeed.

You and Hollow Island have proven me wrong.

You've proven all of us wrong.

You and Hollow Island have proven the world wrong.

You did it with math and logic without compromising your core principles of integrity, respect, honesty, and open communication. It has always been, and will always be, about quality. We’re passionate about ethically sourcing the finest coffee beans, roasting them with great care, and improving the lives of people who grow them. We care deeply about all of this; our work is never done.We’re called partners, because it’s not just a job, it’s our passion. Together, we embrace diversity to create a place where each of us can be ourselves. We always treat each other with respect and dignity. And we hold each other to that standard. When we are fully engaged, we connect with, laugh with, and uplift the lives of our customers – even if just for a few moments. Sure, it starts with the promise of a perfectly made beverage, but our work goes far beyond that. It’s really about human connection. When our customers feel this sense of belonging, our stores become a haven, a break from the worries outside, a place where you can meet with friends. It’s about enjoyment at the speed of life – sometimes slow and savored, sometimes faster. Always full of humanity.

And we remember that time Morrissey played Lou Reed, Bono said he was sorry for smoking, and our uncle farted as he blew out his 68th birthday candles.

Cause we can and should.

I have 2.4 video proof.

But I've been told my judgement isn't that reliable.

It may be a hot dog.

Or a spark plug.

Or a throw rug. Sorry, throw up.

I'm not sure.

I'm a victim.

Or something.

On a serious note, though, you're making very good points!

You get the simple reality that in terms of output, hits, impact on music, image, etc-the 1980s are dominant for U2. Not going to change that....ask people about U2 and they'll say "I love I Will Follow" or they'll talk about New Year's Day or Sunday Bloody Sunday @Red Rocks or Bad @ Live Aid or reminisce about driving around and hearing Pride. They'll talk about being seniors in High School and skipping school to wait in line for Joshua Tree tour tickets...they'll talk about the intro to Streets. I don't think I have to continue.

That doesn't mean the 90's weren't absolutely brilliant, they were. And U2 acknowledges that. AB, as many have already pointed out, has been heavily represented all 3 00's tours. I'm not going over the stats or the specifics again-everyone else has already, but can anyone honestly say they expected The First Time on Vertigo? Or pick any 90s album track that became a staple on a 00s tour and ask if you really expected that.

Given the success of ATYCLB, U2 could have easily disowned Pop entirely on Elevation. Thrown in 2 more from ATYCLB and 2 more from the 80s and the critics and people they lost w/the 90s would've been jumping for joy. Instead, they played 4 songs from Pop and kept songs like Until The End Of The World and The Fly in prominent spots in the set list.

Nothing anywhere indicates any of them, even Larry, are in the least bit apologetic about the 90s in general or Pop specifically. In fact, I remember a Vertigo era interview where they were all talking about the classic U2 feel of the 2 00's albums to that point and Larry was the only person who said "look, we did Pop and we remain very proud of that."

You can look at 80s vs 90s stats in terms of live plays, but that shouldn't tell anyone even remotely familiar with U2 anything.

As for the live performances:

Even if MW and One aren't exactly what they were on Zoo TV, both sound great still. Look at EBTTRT and Ultraviolet on 360. The point remains that overall, U2 are every bit as good a live band now as they've ever been.

Gone: Definitely agree with you! 2001 had a slight edge over 1997 live versions, but I feel both were much better than the version on the album. If I want to hear Gone, I usually go right to Elevation or Popmart Leeds. Never to the studio version.

Mysterious Ways: Definitely best on Zoo TV, a little downgrade for Popmart, but the 2001 tweaking made it awesome again. I'm with you there, I like Elevation MW a lot! Better than Zoo TV...that's a stretch, I think. Bono's voice wasn't good enough in 01. Vertigo was ok, nice to still have the drums and the slide solo. 360 started out extremely weak(especially Larry) but I thought it tightened up after 2010 Turin and sounded great. Would've been nice if Larry did the original beat again, but Bono sang it great, Edge and Adam were into it and the snippets were better as 360 went on.

One: Best on Zoo Tv, still pretty good on Popmart and Elevation, though obviously Bono struggled. The only bad tour for One was Vertigo, in my opinion. Completely flat, none of them seemed to care. I can think of 1-3 good performances the entire tour. 360 One started out a few steps above Vertigo(nothing special) but I think got much better after Turin. I saw Montreal and Philly 2011 and both performances were pretty close to Zoo TV quality.

Discotheque I think had it's best performance on the Vertigo tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom