Happy 9th Birthday, All That You Can't Leave Behind!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrPryck2U

ONE love, blood, life
Yes, 9 years ago, U2's tenth studio album, All That You Can't Leave Behind was released. It was released in the US on October 31, 2000 and everywhere else (I think) the day before on October 30. It had been over 3 1/2 years since U2's previous album, Pop! had been released in March of 1997. At that point in time, that was the longest span between new U2 studio albums. Kind of funny that their next two studio albums would surpass that with 4 and 4 1/2 year time spans between albums, respectively.

I remember that my friend had already downloaded the whole album almost a month before it came out and listening to it for the first time at his apartment. The first time I heard Walk On, I loved it instantly and it has been my favorite U2 song ever since.

Feel free to "be nice" and show a little love for All That You Can't Leave Behind.

-( In other words, we don't need to hear about how much you think it sucks! :wink::wink: )

It's much better now than it was when I first bought it 7 years ago. It has really grown on me, and I'm really happy they brought back Walk On and In A Little While this tour. Fantastic album, really, just short of being in my top 5 U2 albums.

Happy B-Day Larry and ATYCLB!:D Good album. Has quite some gems on it. Love "Beautiful Day", "IALW", "Walk On", and "Stuck" a lot! I haven't listened to "New York" in a while. I think ATYCLB is special in that it came out around 9/11. Ok it came out about a year before but close enough. The tour was going on at that time. I think of New York when I hear some of the songs off this album.

It's much better now than it was when I first bought it

Yes indeed! Though I absolutely loved Beautiful Day, I was shocked (in a bad way) by their blatant change of direction on Stuck and Elevation. But this album has definitely grown on me over the years for it's subtle beauty and the sunny feel of songs such as In A Little While and Wild Honey.

And I also have some nostalgic memories of the time spent in anticipation for this album on my grad school campus during Fall of 2000. Sitting in front of the computer at my part-time job in the library browsing the then brand new U2.com and Interference with it's Popmart icons all over the place. :heart:

U2360 Tour stats - U2 360� Tour 2nd leg: North America - U2 on tour
· No Line On The Horizon (7 songs)
· All That You Can't Leave Behind (5 songs)
· Achtung Baby (4 songs)
· The Unforgettable Fire (4 songs)
· The Joshua Tree (3 songs)
· How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (2 songs)
· War (2 songs)
· Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1 (1 song)
· Zooropa (1 song)

I think that this says at least something about how U2 feel about the timeless quality of this great, great album! Kite and Walk On have been two of my absolute favourite songs ever since I first heard them. Already great then, fantastic now! :drool:
I :heart: this album, and it's also is the collection of songs that made me a true fan of the band!

I like it a lot more than I did, Beautiful Day,WILATW, IALW, Stuck, New York and the majestic Ground Beneath her feet are real classics.

Fond memories of listening to the snippets on the then Brand new (and very sparce) u2.com. I remember Instantly liking Walk On and thinking Stuck sounded like some 80s tv prog theme tune. Happy days!

Without a doubt, my favorite album of all time. All 11 songs would make it into my top 50 U2 songs. Love it. :drool:

i love this album, and i'm certainly not ashamed to say so. i'd yell it from the top of everest, but cbf.

a very positive album that never fails to bring me out of a bit of a funk.

Ha, that's crazy...I can't believe it's been 9 years. I had just started college...I downloaded the album before it came out. I remember registering ATYCLB.com...lol.

Here's a bootleg of Larry's Birthday in Providence, RI from 10-31-01: http://www.send space.com/file/5qoscb

It's a great album, it has a nice airy, fresh feel to it even to this day. Even though some tracks may not exactly set my world on fire (In a Little While, Grace, Wild Honey). Peace on Earth and New York are two overlooked tracks that I enjoy quite a bit, the latter more so than the former.

:bow:

happy birthday AYCLB
at the supermarket earlier, walk on was playing and this other guy was in the next isle singing his heart out , it made my day .

:heart:

can't believe its taken me 9 years to get my heart in a suitcase tatoo!
it reminds me of all the things you take with you in your life and lived experience.
i may have to get the elevation dvd out and give it a go , its been a while.

I went on a first date with a woman from my college English class the night before ATYCLB was released. I told her not to expect me in class the next morning. The new U2 album is out and I'm getting it first thing in the morning. She couldn't understand this obsession with having the album right away and she didn't believe I would actually ditch class for a rock n' roll band. In fact, she came over to my apartment the next morning hoping we could walk to class together and I told her it was a great idea, but I'm not going to class. I'm going to get the new U2 album.

She was with me last weekend in the inner circle in Pasadena. "Oh, can't you see what love has done." :heart:

I remember that day 9 years ago and i was totally crazy with BD, still is today:drool:

Happy B-day!!!:love:
Well it's the album that made me a U2 fan so it's still special for me although it's not their best.
Walk On, Beautiful Day, Kite, In A Little While...:drool:

My first U2 album as well! Each song reminds me of a different place/time at that point in my life, with different emotions and memories.

Not their greatest work, but definitely the one I feel connected with the most!

Walk On and Wild Honey ftw:heart:

This was my 8th U2 album... heh, heh... it's a nice collection of heavy-soul songs (lyrically) given a guitar-pop sheen with the usual Edge tones. When they dropped this one, I hadn't listened to them for 5 or 6 years and had actually lost interest in them. I was curious about the huge interest in their commerical comeback, so I bought this album and... hated it at first. But it soon grew on me.

It's like an album of small pleasures but with the typical gargantuan U2 approach... if that makes any sense.

(My only continued gripe about this record is the mixing -- way too much voice draped all over the songs, and not enough hard guitar and bass.)

Back
Top Bottom